Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2008, 08:19 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times

Advertisements

The Seminole Nation Color Guard

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1565.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 08:43 AM

Find Uncle Don in the pic.

Our friend, the "Northern Cherokee" loves Dana Tiger, so we stopped to let Don catch up with the Cherokee news. I ~was~ going to buy Anna a Warrior Women t-shirt, but couldn't hook up with those elusive CDF folks.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1536.jpg (broken link)

I couldn't understand his language, so I told this man to draw me a picture... which he is seen doing here....

Can't forget our brothers from the south. We Indians are all related. I bought one of his tapes last year. This guy is very good. Hola Amigo!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1522.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-08-2008, 08:51 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,784 times
Great pics, RB. I picked out Don immediately (and no, he's not sitting down with the hat on). Think reflection.

Really sorry we missed you. We had a lot of fun, though, and I bought a beautiful mug from a Choctaw woman from Edmond. It was great, and those of you who missed it, you should definitely put it on your calendar for next year.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:40 PM

99 posts, read 310,821 times
WOW! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

I found one of my favorite songs, being sung in Cherokee, "Amazing Grace" on youtube;
YouTube - Amazing Grace (in Cherokee)

There are other songs on youtube, in the Native American language and design, accompanied by beautiful pictures.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:44 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post

The Seminole Nation Color Guard

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/100_1565.jpg (broken link)
These are my favorites, being that I'm a retired Vet myself.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen cat View Post
I know all about what went on at those boarding schools. I heard the horror stories from both my grandmothers and grandfathers about the boarding schools they attended. I'm grateful I only heard what happened and didn't experience the trauma they went through but hearing these stories made me cry a lot. They were beat severely and witnessed other children getting beat and abused, some were their siblings. They were treated worse than animals.

My grandma would only be allowed to return home for two months in the summer and she never celebrated special holidays like xmas or easter with family during those times. One time my grandma told me when she was 13 she got a very bad beating from the principal and was taken into a private room and was told to take her clothes off and was beaten all over her body with a strap for about a half hour. She suffered alot of bruising and swelling all over her body that lasted for days. The only reason the principal quit beating her was that he got too exhausted. My grandma said as long as she lives she will never forget what they did to them.

This is barely a fraction of the horror stories. I can go on and on. They only get worse. I will stop here cuz it really depresses me to think about them.
Yes, we have heard children were literally thrown into holes dug in the ground for speaking their native languages. More than one child died from the physical abuse. All this in the land of the free, home of the brave.

My own father was taken away at age 5 by white men without his parents consent or knowledge. They just showed up one day while his father was out plowing in the fields and took him.

No one in America wants to hear these things, but it is up to us to keep those stories alive. It happened up in the north too.

Bloomberg.com: Canada

Often they were stripped naked upon arrival and had delousing poured over them, which was very painful to the eyes. Then siblings would be separated according to age and sex.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,140,797 times
Redbird,

Thanks for the sad but informative article about the plight of the Native Canadians. One thing they fail to teach in our American schools in most cases is, "the truth". And then when the truth comes to the surface, they just try to push it aside and say, "Can't we get past this?" It really sickins me that all of this was usually done in the name of "Christianity". If this is thier idea of Christianity, then I'd rather be what they would call "a Heathen". To often I sit and watch these so called Christian today and I see that they are more of a bunch of Back-Stabber/hypocrites then anyone else. Bjb123 and I have always felt that the Native Americans are owed more than they are given, especially what was thiers in the first place.

And, I have noticed that not alot of people have something to say on this matter. Could it be that they're ashamed of what our country has done? Or, they just prefer to again, look the other way and say to themselves "What a shame", and still do nothing.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 PM

Of course, there are always two sides to every coin, or probably many sides. We studied a village in the Great Lakes who were seperated by the American/Canadian border. The protestants were on the US side, the Catholics on the north.

The Catholics allowed them to incorporate their hymns into their native language and allowed them cultural doings, while the protestants squashed all evidence of culture, especially language and ceremonies.

Not surprisingly, 120 years later, a study found of the 100 suicides within the tribe, only 4 came from the Canadian side.

I look at it as a tough episode in the history for our Native Peoples. But all cultures on this planet have tough cycles to test them. Some disappear, and some survive. The aborigines in Australia, the Irish in the 1840's (who btw were helped by the Choctaw people who sent them potatoes), etc. I don't hold any grudges against the "paleface"...

Still, I find it pretty amazing when the US Govt starts using the phrase "eminent domain" again against its own people. Psst! Here is a hint, my white brothers! That is forked-tongue talk meaning "we're going to take your land!"

Old 06-12-2008, 06:43 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Of course, there are always two sides to every coin, or probably many sides. We studied a village in the Great Lakes who were seperated by the American/Canadian border. The protestants were on the US side, the Catholics on the north.

The Catholics allowed them to incorporate their hymns into their native language and allowed them cultural doings, while the protestants squashed all evidence of culture, especially language and ceremonies.

Not surprisingly, 120 years later, a study found of the 100 suicides within the tribe, only 4 came from the Canadian side.

I look at it as a tough episode in the history for our Native Peoples. But all cultures on this planet have tough cycles to test them. Some disappear, and some survive. The aborigines in Australia, the Irish in the 1840's (who btw were helped by the Choctaw people who sent them potatoes), etc. I don't hold any grudges against the "paleface"...

Still, I find it pretty amazing when the US Govt starts using the phrase
Quote:
"eminent domain"
again against its own people. Psst! Here is a hint, my white brothers! That is forked-tongue talk meaning "we're going to take your land!"
I know all about "eminent Domain" and how it's being abused. I helped people in CA, Mich, and Conn, fight for their rights. The one in Conn, "Kelo -V- New London" is still going on.

INDIAN INDEX 1600 to 1699

Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 PM

MK *(spelled with an A) has the warrior spirit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma