Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,331,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
This lady at my work was nibbling on carrots and we got to talking about diets. It seems everyone is on a diet this year.

Anyway, this guy comes strolling by and says, Did you know carrots are the worst thing you can eat if you are on a diet? Yep, they are full of carbs.

Then he strolls away.

That is what ~really~ irks me, it seems there is TOO MUCH INFORMATION out there!!! I am going to stick to eat less, exercise more, and SCREW THE EXPERTS!

whew. Sorry, had to vent.

I want a juicer now too. I have to have something that tastes good and I hate to prepare veggies, except fresh home grown tomatoes.
I don't think it's exactly that there's too much information, I think it's more that people feel much freer to give their opinions than they used to. As for me, IF I were going to actually go on a diet, it would be a modified [by me] version of the so-called Neanderthal diet. I like nuts and berries and grains, I just want to fix them my own way. And while I don't eat a lot of meat, I certainly enjoy a good blood-rare steak on occasion. Unfortunately - or maybe not! - those are a bit spendy for my food budget.

Juicers are great. You can make your own version of V-8, heavy on carrots, light on tomatoes, toss in zucchini, some celery, whatever is in season in whatever proportion suits your taste. But I don't recommend too much celery [a little is fine] or any onions or garlic, they kind of ruin it unless you plan to use the result as a base for soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
I don't know if its because I am trying to lose weight or if this year is the year everyone decided to lose weight, but there seems to be an awful lot of people trying to lose weight.

It funny to hear all the variations of diets at my work. One lady is on the Nutri-system, one lady is very slender IMO, and "only" wants to drop 8 more pounds.
One man had the lap band surgery, and he eats very small amounts, but he is pretty much a grazer, he eats off and on all day. I see him eat ramen noodles, which I thought was really fattening.

It gets confusing after awhile. If I say I am eating a salad, someone invariably chimes in with a comment on how fattening the salad dressing is.

What is scary is the number of heart attacks one hears about. Men in their late 40's who are obese are having heart attacks.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
I don't know if its because I am trying to lose weight or if this year is the year everyone decided to lose weight, but there seems to be an awful lot of people trying to lose weight.

It funny to hear all the variations of diets at my work. One lady is on the Nutri-system, one lady is very slender IMO, and "only" wants to drop 8 more pounds.
One man had the lap band surgery, and he eats very small amounts, but he is pretty much a grazer, he eats off and on all day. I see him eat ramen noodles, which I thought was really fattening.

It gets confusing after awhile. If I say I am eating a salad, someone invariably chimes in with a comment on how fattening the salad dressing is.

What is scary is the number of heart attacks one hears about. Men in their late 40's who are obese are having heart attacks.
There've always been people trying to lose weight, they just never talked about it.

That lady who wants to lose 8 lbs reminded me of someone I used to know. It got too embarrassing to go to restaurants with her, so I quit. She'd order fish and chips, but want the breading left off the fish and broiled instead of fried, and substitute a salad for the fries and so on. By the time she'd get done changing everything it wasn't at all what she'd ordered! And she was downright skinny. She even joined Weight Watchers to lose 3 lbs [she was about 5'8" and weighed maybe 112 lbs soaking wet with all her clothes on] and got really mad because they weren't friendly or at all sympathetic to her plight! Another time she had a party and I baked a cake for it, which no one ever got around to eating because they were stuffed on pizza. After everyone else left, I had one piece, said goodnight and went home. The next day she told me there was something wrong with that cake, it had made her sick. I said it didn't make ME sick, and she said she'd eaten the rest of it and felt queasy all night - right, who wouldn't feel queasy after eating nearly a whole layer cake with lots of really rich frosting?!

If the salad thing bothers you, get the dressing on the side and dip your fork in it before each bite. That way you get the flavor without the calories.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:19 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,627,390 times
So if you put tomatoes in a juicer, what about the seeds? Do you strain the juice after the juicer is done?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,945,034 times
I heard some bad reviews about the juiceman jr. case. I think that I will purchase a juiceman II. Any ideas about the best place to purchase a juiceman II?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:40 AM

This sounds good..

Carrot, Apple, Ginger Juice

Ingredients:
• 1-2 red or golden apples.
Core apples/remove seeds.
• 5 med carrots scrubbed well.
Remove green tops & trim ends.
• 1/2 - 1" fresh ginger root washed

*Organic fruits recommended

Old 01-25-2008, 06:41 AM

And Peanut Butter. I LOVE peanut butter!

Peanut Butter / Nut Butter

Program 7

Ingredients:
• 4 cups roasted peanuts
• 4 Tbs. vegetable or peanut oil
• salt to taste (optional)

Place peanuts and oil in the blender. Process on Program 7 (or 80% for 2 seconds, 70% for 45 seconds, 85% for 45 seconds, 50% for 18 seconds). Keep refrigerated since there are no preservatives.

Substitute almonds as well for great flavor Almond Butter.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,555,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
That lady who wants to lose 8 lbs reminded me of someone I used to know. It got too embarrassing to go to restaurants with her, so I quit. She'd order fish and chips, but want the breading left off the fish and broiled instead of fried, and substitute a salad for the fries and so on.
If the salad thing bothers you, get the dressing on the side and dip your fork in it before each bite. That way you get the flavor without the calories.
That lady would seriously get on my nerves.

This reminds me of a thread in itself. What dieting tips have you heard/read/been advised? I have heard a million. And even tho they are good, I still roll my eyes.

-Take the yoke out of the hard boiled egg, it contains the most fat. (OMG, you mean we cannot even enjoy a simple hard boiled egg?)

-Use one slice of bread on your sandwiches (like one slice is REALLY going to make me thinner.)

-when you go out to eat, cut your food in half and save the rest. (This is probably the only one that I SHOULD DO, because my greatest sin is overeating aka gluttony. But it would be difficult at a buffet.)

Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
So if you put tomatoes in a juicer, what about the seeds? Do you strain the juice after the juicer is done?
I've never strained anything. The juicer does it all. The only thing I have to do is cut whatever it is into pieces small enough to fit through the opening at the top, which in the case of my juicer, means slightly larger than bite sized, except for long things like carrots or celery.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I heard some bad reviews about the juiceman jr. case. I think that I will purchase a juiceman II. Any ideas about the best place to purchase a juiceman II?
Mine is a Waring. I love it. Try ebay first, see what the prices are like - and don't forget to take shipping costs into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma