Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
ya see....I just don't understand that. There are so many other things to define a person besides sexual preferences. It's just not that big of a deal. I don't much care about who you like to have sex with.
I don't have a sexual "preference". I have a sexual identity, just like you do. I didn't "decide" to be gay, just as you didn't decide to be "straight". I knew I was attracted to males since I was 5 or 6. I suspect that is when you became aware of your sexual identity, although at that young age it didn't make a lot of sense.

I no more chose my sexual identity then I did who my parents were, or the color of my eyes. It is a part of who I am, who I was born to be, and who I will always be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,070,365 times
I don't mean to be disrespectful...I really don't. I just don't understand making that big of a deal about it.

I have known many gay people in my life...and honestly...there are bigger issues to judge the character of a person on than that.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:01 PM

5 posts, read 12,888 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be disrespectful...I really don't. I just don't understand making that big of a deal about it.

I have known many gay people in my life...and honestly...there are bigger issues to judge the character of a person on than that.
On that last point we can agree. Some of my best firends are straight people, because they are straight, but not narrow. I don't expect a straight person to understand what it is like to be gay any more than I, as a white man, would understand what it is to be black, or a female, or a Muslim trying to live in this country without being castigated for my religion. We all could use a few more lessons of walking in the shoes of others who are different from us. We all just need to take a live and let live attitude about our neighbors. If my neighbor wants to celebrate being Chinese by blowing off firecrackers on Chinese New Year (they are, and they do) that is cool with me. My other neighbors are from Hungary. I am happy to welcome different people into my neighborhood. We can all learn from different cultures and lifestyles. It would be a very boring world if we all were the same.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:23 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Quote:
ya see....I just don't understand that. There are so many other things to define a person besides sexual preferences. It's just not that big of a deal. I don't much care about who you like to have sex with.
Hasn't this been explained to you already?

It's not about who you have SEX WITH! It's about who you love, share your life with, who you ARE. Why is this concept so hard to understand for you?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:08 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Hasn't this been explained to you already?

It's not about who you have SEX WITH! It's about who you love, share your life with, who you ARE. Why is this concept so hard to understand for you?
great explanation

Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 AM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,587 times
Default ...

It's pretty obvious how this works, you see..

gay people should not marry because this person 'personally' doesn't believe they should, and there are certain groups of people that think in the same way and they are vocal about it.. They plain and simply don't want us getting married..

Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM

wow....maybe I should just chuck my brain out...because ehenningsen can apparently think for me....

You are allowed to marry--as long as it is within boundaries that the government determines. If you don't like it...don't marry. I don't think we should go changing long-held standards because a vocal minority wants it.

As for the argument of "it's all about love". Since when has marriage been exclusively about love? Many cultures don't have that concept. I work with many folks who have had arranged marriages...and they're quite happy.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:23 PM

16 posts, read 41,818 times
Quote:
I don't think we should go changing long-held standards because a vocal minority wants it.
Since when has "tradition" been good enough reason for doing something? I can think of a few things that were considered traditional that we no longer do in this country.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:27 PM

240 posts, read 504,649 times
Quote:
wow....maybe I should just chuck my brain out...because ehenningsen can apparently think for me....

You are allowed to marry--as long as it is within boundaries that the government determines. If you don't like it...don't marry. I don't think we should go changing long-held standards because a vocal minority wants it.

As for the argument of "it's all about love". Since when has marriage been exclusively about love? Many cultures don't have that concept. I work with many folks who have had arranged marriages...and they're quite happy.

Why do you care who gets married to who? How does it affect you life at all?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
Why do you care who gets married to who? How does it affect you life at all?
I think it cheapens the standards when we start lowering the standards. With the state of marriage in America today, we need to strengthen the standards...not throw them away.

The idea of marriage has held up very well not only in this country, but around the world for thousands of years. I don't think it's wise to start changing it to suit a few people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha