Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,698 times

Advertisements

Thank you, all I have asked for here is a little support to help all these folks trying to make a fair decision about moving there. It isn't a bad place by far but people need to know the whole story not just bits and pieces. I have been totally scoulded by people on the OC forum in general for speaking my mind. Just trying to help.. I think that everything below Irvine towards North San Diego County is very pretty but it is expensive and people need to know that.

Have a great week!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
Fair statements, true in fact to a large degree, for most people in OC. But you will NEVER hear anyone say these things to your face...everyone here wears a mask and an "I'm too busy" sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,409,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hello, this post is for those who have never been to Southern California and are looking for information regarding the area. Please believe me... I am NOT trying to be negative because I am not a negative person. I am only trying to help you with my own experience living in Southern California. I am only doing this to help those of you who are thinking about relocating to the area and need help. Trust me I have a lot of better things to do with my time but I really feel this is important so please take a few minutes to read this.

For those of you who absolutely have to make the move then this is my advise.. do a lot of research, ask many questions and don't fall for the information that only shows you the beauty of California. The beauty is only a small part of the picture. Just so you know, I was the typical blonde california girl and totally fit the profile. At one point I was training to become an NFL Ram's cheerleader. Unfortunately, I injured my ankle in my jazz class the day before tryouts and I was unable to participate. The very next year the Rams left for Kansas City. By the way, have you ever wondered why such a large place like Orange County does not have a professional football team anymore?? Interestingly this is what I found out.. When L.A. and Anaheim were home to the Raiders and Rams they didn't make enough money because they didn't have enough loyal and supportive fans. So basically both teams packed up and left... Very sad that an area with so much status and wealth does not have any pro teams. I guess everyone is too busy in California so they have better things to do than sit at a football game??? Or there is just too much to do?? Whatever the case they lost their NFL teams. Hopefully for all you football fans like myself.. someday they can get one back..

Before I tell you more of the negative, let me begin with the positive. First of all, there is A LOT of good things about California. Primarily the weather is awesome. It is basically never too hot (unless you are inland) and it is extremely mild in the winter. The sky is blue most of the time and there are places by the beach that are amazing and breathtaking. I love the ocean and it is one of my favorite places to be.

There is a lot to do in California and many great opportunities for the young and old alike. You never get bored because if you have the money there are always fun places to go. Disneyland was a place that I visited on a regular basis. I loved to get an annual pass and go there in the wee hours just before closing to go on Splash Mountain over and over again. No lines late at night!! Knotts Berry Farm is great, six flags not too far of a drive and Universal Studios a couple of hours away. So much to do and too much to list here in this post.

I met my husband in San Diego County, had my first son in Irvine and my second son in Anaheim Hills. So California holds many precious memories for me. I would have to write a book to tell you of all the happy memories I had in California...

What disappointed me is the fact that it is extremely crowded, stressful on the highways and there is an awful lot of crime. It is so expensive that I never owned a home in the 20-years that I lived there. Half the time I couldn't understand my neighbor because everyone spoke another language. Nothing wrong with that (I have many beautiful Spanish speaking friends) but when an English speaking woman goes to the grocery store and can not find something and nobody speaks english, I have a problem with that. I really started feeling like an alien in Orange County. I actually felt very lonely at times

Another issue is the air quality. In the summer there are frequent smog warnings and you are basically told to stay inside unless you have to go out. I had terrible allergies and sinus problems while living there. I know it was the air quality because almost immediately after I moved to Oregon my problems went away.

I think there are absolutely way too many people in Southern Ca. It takes 2-3 hours to get to a 10-mile location most of the time. Even at night... My step-kids and several friends live there and they hate it. They continually tell me that it is getting worse with each passing year.

Finding a job is another problem. Jobs are hard to come by everywhere but read the statistics on California. The state is in a heap of trouble financially.

There are gangs and bad neighborhoods everywhere. You can be in a nice neighborhood and drive a half mile down the street and you will be in a bad neighborhood. For example, at the beginning of my marriage my husband and I lived in a really nice apartment. One night while we were sitting on the patio we heard gunshot. My husband ran down the street to try and help. A teenage boy was dead in the street as a result of a drive by shooting. It is very hard to find a decent place to live unless you are making a huge amount of money.

So again this is my suggestion. If you have to move there do your homework, talk to a lot of people and weigh your options carefully. If you are rich move to a beach house in Malibu, Laguna Beach, Newport, etc. Stay on the beach and don't venture too far inland. Also, there are very nice places along the coast just south of Irvine and nice places in Irvine and Costa Mesa, but then again you will be paying a high price to live there.

And also, home school your children or put them in the best private school you can find... again if you can afford it. Between the gangs and all the other problems it just wasn't worth it to me.

Good luck to you... Again, I hope my honesty will help you in making a decision whether or not to move to California and where to live. At least if you go there you won't be thinking it is just like the movies or a popular television series. I am just sharing my experience with you. Have a great week/weekend.
Rae honey, I hate to have to do this, but you need to be called out for not knowing what the hell you're talking about. Your rationale behind the Raiders and Rams leaving SoCal don't mesh with reality very well. Al Davis is a money grubber first and foremost while Georgia Frontiere took the movie Major League and made that her business model, we didn't bite and when it came time for the team to leave, we were all too happy to help her pack. No one was shedding any tears over those teams leaving since we don't support mediocrity. Gangs, maybe in Santa Ana, but even they're not much to lose sleep over. As far as the crime level, do your homework. The areas you cite have among the lowest crime rates in the country. South OC cities rank among the safest in the U.S. You're not being honest, because why? Oh yeah, you don't know what you're talking about. Funny you bring up feeling like an alien, because your time in OC is just as fictional as alien life. Go troll another board sweetheart.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM

230 posts, read 599,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhugeLiang View Post
As far as the crime level, do your homework. The areas you cite have among the lowest crime rates in the country. South OC cities rank among the safest in the U.S.
I can't speak to the sports situation in OC (or anywhere else, for that matter), but Raelyn is quite correct about the crime situation and the areas she cited are the ones she recommends going to. South OC is indeed a wonderful place; Santa Ana and points north are another matter altogether. I live in Anaheim, and car break-ins, gang taggings (they'll tag your car if you're not extremely careful where you park), and sounds of gunfire are regular occurrences, and I get really tired of the police choppers circling my neighborhood. Don't even get me started on Santa Ana.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM

Thanks for all of the support and affirmation to the Truth.. Just wanted to say it like it is.. Good luck to those of you who have to relocate due to job transfer.. Choose wisely...

Old 05-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
I can't speak to the sports situation in OC (or anywhere else, for that matter), but Raelyn is quite correct about the crime situation and the areas she cited are the ones she recommends going to. South OC is indeed a wonderful place; Santa Ana and points north are another matter altogether. I live in Anaheim, and car break-ins, gang taggings (they'll tag your car if you're not extremely careful where you park), and sounds of gunfire are regular occurrences, and I get really tired of the police choppers circling my neighborhood. Don't even get me started on Santa Ana.
Property damage and theft? Uhhh.....not exactly what I would call the next Compton. Those things happen anywhere. Save the drama.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 PM

62 posts, read 180,906 times
It sounds like you were never a good fit for California.

RE: Football...

1) Many people in CA moved from elsewhere....and they bring the love for their team with them.

2) With so many other cool things to do in SoCal, why waste it on football?
People who live in cities with snowy winters and nothing to do the rest of the year eat and breathe football. (And they're usually way overweight because they don't exercise...people in SoCal get out and do things plus exercise).

3) LA has the Lakers....that's REALLY the only sport that SoCal cares about.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2Jax View Post
It sounds like you were never a good fit for California.

RE: Football...

1) Many people in CA moved from elsewhere....and they bring the love for their team with them.

2) With so many other cool things to do in SoCal, why waste it on football?
People who live in cities with snowy winters and nothing to do the rest of the year eat and breathe football. (And they're usually way overweight because they don't exercise...people in SoCal get out and do things plus exercise).

3) LA has the Lakers....that's REALLY the only sport that SoCal cares about.
Is that why the Dodgers draw more or almost more than any other major league baseball team? Of course those living in So California don't love the Bruins or the Trojans, of course not, just to mention a few college teams.. People in Dallas love their Cowboys but they also get out and do other things. Many teams draw that are located in areas other than snowy winter cities. And no, not all football fans are fat..What a dumb statement..

Nita

Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Is that why the Dodgers draw more or almost more than any other major league baseball team? Of course those living in So California don't love the Bruins or the Trojans, of course not, just to mention a few college teams.. People in Dallas love their Cowboys but they also get out and do other things. Many teams draw that are located in areas other than snowy winter cities. And no, not all football fans are fat..What a dumb statement..

Nita
He's just crying out for some attention, leave him be.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:11 PM

Default Being fat is a dumb statement!!

There are some very beautiful people in California. What does "being fat" have to do with football? Whether fat or not the Truth again remains. L.A. and Orange county lost their pro football teams. The team support there is NOTHING like other parts of the country. Which again goes to prove my point. Southern Cal is NOT just about pretty post card pictures which depict beautiful beach scenes and sunsets. The entire picture needs to be disclosed on this forum to help those with a relocation choice. I think finally the Truth is coming out.. Which is my passion for writing on this forum.. California DOES NOT need anymore people moving there with false expectations...

Am I correct with my statement here???

Quote:

Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
ok, I will be a good girl..
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County