Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'd like to see some stats on that. Even so, I'd take Phoenix or Las Vegas or Tucson over Fresno or Bakersfield any day. Maybe not Sacramento, but definitely the other two.
Ludachris did the stats already.

It is all just personal preferences. I know a former South Bay Area family that moved to Phoenix a few years ago and now want out of there. They plan on moving to Fresno, the only reason they haven't already moved is they have been trying for a year to sell their Phoenix house.

Living elsewhere gave them a different way of looking at things. Now having actually lived in Phoenix they see Fresno in a different light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
I'll admit, I never considered living in Fresno or Bakersfield.
I came here years ago on a job transfer and was only going to make it a short career stop. Instead I put down roots and have stayed.

Back in the 80s, yes it had a lot of problems. The boom of the 90s bypassed Fresno also.

But in the last 10 years there has been a different city developing.

I think people will be surprised with Fresno in coming years.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 AM

191 posts, read 665,947 times
sounds like a trophy wife spoiled little daddy's girl to me who never had to earn a penny in her life to get by and doesnt have a clue about what real people go through every day just to get by. Sorry the rarely fely almost non existant earthquakes may have broken your ming vase when it hit but most of us can't even aford to live in OC let alone live there for 20 years in wealth and than complain about how our spanish maid and butler didnt dust the tables properly.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 AM

191 posts, read 665,947 times
I think she is a prime example of 2 well know facts about OC. First she is obviously on too many prescription pills which dont seem to interact well and second she has obviously had too many botox shots or maybe her breast implant stitches are bursting and causing temporary insanity.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:19 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
It is all just personal preferences. I know a former South Bay Area family that moved to Phoenix a few years ago and now want out of there. They plan on moving to Fresno, the only reason they haven't already moved is they have been trying for a year to sell their Phoenix house.

Living elsewhere gave them a different way of looking at things. Now having actually lived in Phoenix they see Fresno in a different light.
This is a good example of our new perception of CA cities (like Sacramento) that we used to look down upon when we lived in the Bay Area. Having moved out of state, we now see those areas in a different light. I think it has more to do with seeing things differently when you get out of the huge CA metro areas. Everything seems slower paced, a bit more friendly, less expensive, etc. You tend to notice that the areas you used to look down upon have a lot of the same qualities that you've grown to like having moved away from the Bay Area. I think the suburbs of Denver have more in common with the suburbs of Sacramento than they do say, San Francisco. And for us, that's appealing.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:08 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
...we used to look down upon when we lived in the Bay Area. Having moved out of state, we now see those areas in a different light. I think it has more to do with seeing things differently when you get out of the huge CA metro areas. Everything seems slower paced, a bit more friendly, less expensive, etc....
Ah, come on...You're just getting old.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

If it's too fast (paced), you're too old.

If it's not friendly, you're too old.

If it's too expensive, you're too old.

Every day you are getting one inch closer from this

to this

Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Ah, come on...You're just getting old.

Every day you are getting one inch closer from this

to this

I disagree, not every young person wants to live the fast paced life; such as myself. Furthermore, the fast paced life is extremely unhealthy and will cause you to age at a faster rate.

One time in California I was waiting for the bus and some lady who was waiting there with me struck up a conversation. I thought she might have been at least 40 something well anyhow she said that she spent the last 3-4 years in Vegas where she would party all night and during the day she worked in sales for some kind of clothing line. Well the women just so happen to tell me her age and she was around 31-32.

Hate to be mean, but she just looked terrible; all that time staying up in the club living the fast life just destroyed her body.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:51 PM

LOL, and here I thought it was just getting wiser with age.

I thought my hearing was supposed to worsen with old age. So how can I say its too loud if I can't hear it?

What if someone says that because their perception has been temporarily altered by certain substances, legal or not?

But what if an old person is the one who is not friendly aka a Grumpy Old Man? Does that mean I should call him a Grumpy Young at Heart Man?

I've always been told that I was cheap and a penny pincher. Now I've saved a lot of money and can afford to buy high-priced things for cash, but I still think they are too expensive.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:44 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,121 times
Thank you for agreeing with me and the real reason why I posted this thread. I was getting really fed up with the unrealistic, every thing is great, beautiful carefree beach pics on the pic thread and all the denial about what it is really like on the streets for most people in OC. I couldn't stand what I was reading. I think people should know what they are getting into before they waste their money and find out it isn't what many people have portrayed it to be... Unless of course you are filthy rich as one poster appears to be on this thread and can afford to indulge on everything under the sun while other people struggle and millions upon millions of children die from starvation. Such an injustice and a waste to me.

I do envy some of you at this time of year.. I miss the 4th of July fireworks at Disneyland. Have a great weekend and enjoy where ever you are..

Raelyn

Quote:
This is a good example of our new perception of CA cities (like Sacramento) that we used to look down upon when we lived in the Bay Area. Having moved out of state, we now see those areas in a different light. I think it has more to do with seeing things differently when you get out of the huge CA metro areas. Everything seems slower paced, a bit more friendly, less expensive, etc. You tend to notice that the areas you used to look down upon have a lot of the same qualities that you've grown to like having moved away from the Bay Area. I think the suburbs of Denver have more in common with the suburbs of Sacramento than they do say, San Francisco. And for us, that's appealing.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,121 times
Don't worry about Skyway and his comments. He has been in a huge amount of denial from the beginning of this thread.. The funny thing is he doesn't even live in OC.. Imagine that? He forgets and I keep reminding him to read my thread all the way through because I did bring up the good points of OC and I am not talking badly about ALL areas. In general OC is expensive, over-rated and hard to live in if you are a middle class individual. The traffic sucks, the population is out of control and the housing is ridiculous. What is wrong with my calculations here? I didn't say the cities were ugly or unattractive as he has referred to. Actually there are nice places and beautiful spots but to live there without money is the pits. I think the majority of people that have responded to this thread whether on or off topic agree with me. I am glad I posted and I really have enjoyed getting all the feedback and different aspects of life in OC. I hope it has helped people with relocation questions... Thanks to all of you for making this truly worth it... As far as Skyway... Well put it this way... if we met for coffee we would probably end up in an argument...

Well quote=mrsltd;9548690]Skyway:

Sounds like you need a tour of Fullerton, especially since you call it bland while admitting that you have never been there. And there are other areas in north OC that are good for views and such as well.

mrsltd[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County