Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,768,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
Its been a on the funny side this spring..Most of you have figured out I spend a bit of time out at Oregon Gardens in Silverton and this spring the Kill Deer have been all over the place and madly in love.
At one point last month we had 3 nests in the area I spend my time in and the mallards are nesting too.
So not only is spring in the air but love is all over the place with our animal friends..
this is what makes life fun..
Great report. Glad to hear the shore and waterbirds are doing their duty for future generations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
The poison oak is just showing the first red leaves. Madrone had a heavy blossom, and will be setting a big crop of berries this year. The camas has been blossoming about a week, and a few are blossoming all the way to the top. Apples have been blossoming for a couple weeks, with the late varieties just getting into full bloom. The wild strawberries are going nuts with blossoms, probably because of the wet spring. Most of the blossoms won't set fruit.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:30 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,569 times
If I said all the words I actually WANT to on this subject, I'd likely be banned.

I live in Salem. Our heater has been broken for 5 months or so because our landlord (very rich guy by the way) didn't want to spend the 800 it would have taken to have the missing part ordered. Also, he's "wintering" in Arizona for the winter (presumeably STILL is, as we've not heard hide nor hair from him) so didn't want the inconvience of coming back here (wasn't into slumming at that point I guess) to try to fix it himself (not that he COULD without that part, but this guy is a real piece of work who considered himself a jack of all trades or some such horse****).

So he allowed us to buy several plug in heaters which do JACK about warming up the house because you can't leave them plugged in for longer then a half hour without the plug ins getting hot. Oh, and those heaters cost a LOT in electricity but why would such a kind, empathetic soul want to be bothered with the mundane such as that ?

This whole rant DOES have a point, so bear with me. At the time when he said that we would have to wait for spring for him to come back and try to deal with the heater himself I said to my family "Just watch, the weather will be sure to NEVER improve now..just mark my words".

Sure enough, it's STILL effing freezing at night and in the early morning, fugly ALL day and COLD, COLD, COLD.

So there it is folks. It's like this because our slumlord hasn't fixed our heat. But don't blame me. Blame HIS cheap ass, please.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:13 PM

927 posts, read 1,948,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
If I said all the words I actually WANT to on this subject, I'd likely be banned.

I live in Salem. Our heater has been broken for 5 months or so because our landlord (very rich guy by the way) didn't want to spend the 800 it would have taken to have the missing part ordered. Also, he's "wintering" in Arizona for the winter (presumeably STILL is, as we've not heard hide nor hair from him) so didn't want the inconvience of coming back here (wasn't into slumming at that point I guess) to try to fix it himself (not that he COULD without that part, but this guy is a real piece of work who considered himself a jack of all trades or some such horse****).

So he allowed us to buy several plug in heaters which do JACK about warming up the house because you can't leave them plugged in for longer then a half hour without the plug ins getting hot. Oh, and those heaters cost a LOT in electricity but why would such a kind, empathetic soul want to be bothered with the mundane such as that ?

This whole rant DOES have a point, so bear with me. At the time when he said that we would have to wait for spring for him to come back and try to deal with the heater himself I said to my family "Just watch, the weather will be sure to NEVER improve now..just mark my words".

Sure enough, it's STILL effing freezing at night and in the early morning, fugly ALL day and COLD, COLD, COLD.

So there it is folks. It's like this because our slumlord hasn't fixed our heat. But don't blame me. Blame HIS cheap ass, please.

So that's why this spring has been so wretched. How much you wanna bet as soon as your landlord does deign to back, we shoot into the nineties and don't cool off 'til November?

Old 05-15-2011, 04:17 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,917,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
So that's why this spring has been so wretched. How much you wanna bet as soon as your landlord does deign to back, we shoot into the nineties and don't cool off 'til November?

LOL I'm sure that'll happen too

Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 PM

758 posts, read 2,372,783 times
Slow! but - lots of blossoms on the fruit trees, and we are supposed to have a hot summer. I get peaches about one year in four - I think this will be a peach year.
Our tulips have not yet opened and we still have fresh daffodils.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:

You really need to look into tenants rights. Briefly, have it fixed and submit the repair invoice as part of your month's rent. Retain copies in case the landlord disputes it, but he is required to maintain your rental in habitable condition.

Now, back to a discussion of spring. The camas are in full bloom at my place. One late apple is still in full blossom, but most of the apples are pretty much done. I got tomatoes set out last weekend.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:39 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:

A Holmes 1 touch, is a good portable heater. It has low power & high power setting. My cord never gets HOT. The wiring to your outlet might need to be a heavier gauge wire.

It's just NOT Right You have to go without a Heater/Furnace. Your landlord better gets his buns in gear.

Take gentle care of yourself.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,054,779 times
We're in Eugene. The leaves are finally starting to pop out and uncurl on the trees that surround our home. I still see lots of daffodills and tulips. The ground is still very wet and the sky still mostly overcast with the exception of about 2 to 3 days for every 7 that it still feels like a mild winter.

Saw a Great Blue Heron at the Delta Ponds area doing what looked like building a nest, or enlarging one which was already there. (I've heard they return to the same nest each year usually in February.) I wondered if this was late in the game, as I thought for some reason that they should have the nest built and eggs in it by now? Perhaps he/she was constructing a blanket for the babes. ?

Have only seen turtles out sunning themselves on logs one day in the past month. I saw young eagles with their mottled brown and white colors swooping over the Willamette along the river bike trail.

Still cold, wet, and muddy mostly. I wish people would stop washing their cars on the pretty day so that Mother Nature, with her playful sense of humour, wouldn't rain on us the very next one.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:44 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Lately the bass are more active & are striking more lures, ****, senko's (worm). They should be spawning pretty soon.

A lot of Hummer birds are active & coming to the feeders fer their fix of nectar. they like to fight each other fer feeder rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon