Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

Not to sound nasty, but the others are onto something. Having a giant McMansion will make you stand out like a sore thumb. You're looking for a house that is something like twice the average size of a home in 2009 (which is already gargantuan compared to what it used to be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,750 times
Since you seem to have the cash, I'd suggest building in Pronghorn which is a ritzy destination resort development close to Bend - you'd have company in the 5000 square foot house thing. The houses being built in Bend now are more in the 3500 sq ft size for a large home - McMansions are considered passee and you can pick up a ready-built one for pretty cheap (relatively speaking that is) if you want to - look on Awbrey Butte and on Archie Briggs Road. Another location would be Sisters, west of Bend. It has the quaintness you are looking for in a small town (about 7,000 people compared to Bend's 80,000), some terrific restaurants, a movie house, a nice spa, antique stores etc. Bend has the Trader Joes and Whole Foods you want.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,826,779 times
Im from washington but love Bend and Redmond area for the Weather and beauty . I wouldnt mind living in either place either.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:09 PM

456 posts, read 1,007,780 times
The Highlands just outside of Bend City limits and bordering the Deschutes National forest. They have just under sixty, ten acre lots in there. Many on the re-sale market. Most of the homes are over 5,000 sq.ft.

http://www.bendluxuryhomes.com/neigh...tion=highlands

Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preshiesgirl View Post
Thanks so much for responding. But now I have to ask, why did you start out by saying, "I hate to say this..."? Makes me wonder if something is 'wrong' with Bend ...and to answer your last q. No children (as I mentioned in my post), but lots of family and friends we would love to have for visits. We also work out of our home so we would have space specifically for that...and well, just as I mentioned, this is our "dream house" so a little bit of extra space to settle into for the next chapter of our lives just appeals to us. It's actually quite cozy for a 5,000 sq. ft. house. Thanks for your suggestion...I will surely check into it.
I read your post and understand that you work from home and don't have kids. I asked as more of rhetorical question because 5,000 sq. ft. for two people, no matter the circumstance, is ridiculous spatially, not to mention financially. The funny thing is, I'm not even from Oregon originally, I just agree with em' and it's part of the reason I choose to move here last year.

Others commented on why I said "I hate to say this...", but essentially Bend has a large faction of Southern Californians who have sold their homes down south, taken the money north to build their dream home. There is good reason for this. The town is an extremely desirable area to live, but, from my limited experience here, there seems to be stigma against people (not matter where you're from - there just happens to be many from S. Californian) who move here and do not buy into the Oregon way of life (modesty, etc.) and attempt to "change" things making them more like "back home". If you move here without this attitude (you don't seem to have this attitude at all, actually, aside from the size of your home of which I'm jumping on you about), Oregonians tend to accept you with open arms (in my experience, anyway). Not sure whether that's because one ends up becoming the lesser of two evils, but either way, it has paned itself out....

Bend seems like a moot point regardless, as you explained later on that you're looking for a smaller town. Maybe check out some of the locations mentioned just outside of Bend or maybe even Sisters. Sisters is a bit colder than Bend and definitely gets more snow in the winter, but it'd be tough to find a house that doesn't have an amazing view!

Good luck!

Last edited by kapetrich; 07-19-2011 at 12:38 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 12:21 AM

42 posts, read 71,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Oh joy, another aristocratic SOuthern Californian going to Bend... Don't mind the dirty stares from the local yocals.. Just tell them your from Nevada.. No hard feelings then. I hate to say it but I feel Californians destroyed that town. Yeah, they got their giant palaces on Awbrey Butte and their exquisite golf courses and resorts that are off-limits to everyone else. They drove the housing market to disaster and brought in their stuck-up, holier-than-thou attitudes with them. Bend, is like a mix of a sterile California suburb with a disgruntled and poor Oregon logging/mountain town. The last thing Bend needs now is another 5000 sq ft mansion and Mercedes SUV driving the streets. I live in Hood RIver and can feel the vibe of the aristocratic California yuppies that infest this town too.

Not all Californians are bad, but there is a certain element of them that I wish wouldn't be here.

Anyway, I need to escape this place before all the wealthy Californians drive Oregon into the ground more than it already has been.

Sorry, preshiesgirl if you think I am being condescending, but once you settle in Bend, Hood River, Ashland, West Hills of POrtland, etc and build your 5000 sq ft palace for the two of you (minus kids of course) , you will see a lot of people who have lived in Oregon most/all of our lives will have these same feelings towards you. If that bothers you, Arizona and Nevada don't seem to have these issues like Oregon or any other NW state does.
Well, yah, you are being condescending and you don't even know me (us). You're making the mistake, like most people do, to "judge" right off the bat (which of course is human nature). You want to generalize or "group" everyone together. It's clear you are bitter. Understandable, but don't assume you know me or how I live my life or what my attitudes are.

As I mentioned, I am originally from Indiana and once I got a real taste of the "Beverly Hills" type or just simply the upper class "snobbish" Californian, I too was turned off. Completely! That is not who we are. My girlfriend has lived here all of her life and she is turned off by those types as well.

Anyone who is a good judge of character, would get a real sense that we were the opposite of that anyway, just by reading my post. If you knew us, you would only see two very unpretentious (fun) people (my girlfriend being thee most selfless, I know!) who actually live quite simply...we would NEVER boast or flaunt our blessings. Ever! And as I mentioned, we keep pretty much to ourselves.

Again, just looking for a nice place to enjoy our lives. Thanks for responding, nonetheless.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preshiesgirl View Post

We have considered both Washington and Oregon but fear Washington weather would lean more towards the ‘gloomy’ spectrum more so than we desire - and at the same time, unsure if Oregon is that much different. But from what I’ve read, I think we would absolutely love Oregon!
To me this is the sentence that stood out the most. It's hard to describe to non-Natives just how gloomy it usually is. Imagine no sun for 7-8 months straight. Many days will be misting cold rain that seems to move horizontally. Oregon and Washington weather is functionally the same, although both states are large enough with a variety of geography that can cause micro-climates of more intense weather.

This is pretty much the one constant in weather that the entire state has. Central and Eastern Oregon/Washington tends to get more snow and hotter summers. Western Oregon/Washington has milder winters and summers. Costal Oregon has more wind, more rain, and when not cloudy - very foggy. Costal Washington bears the brunt of the cold coming from Alaska and sees a bit more rain.

You need to keep in mind that "Rich Californians" moved to Oregon in the 60's, ruined the timber industry by protesting logging and passing laws, bought up "cheap" land, and caused Oregon's second economic recession. (The first was the 1880's gold boom/bust that was killed by the outlawing of Gold Mining during WWI) This exact scenario happened again in 1980's, and it can be argued, again in the 2000's.

Yes, Oregon has benefited somewhat in the long run, but the short term (5-10 years) was very painful for a lot of people and has only served to increase the economic disparity between classes, and concentrated all the wealth and political power into a few powerful cities. If there had been a more natural incline in growth vs. economy, Oregon would be a totally different place then it is now.

There is the reason why Oregon has the most Ghost Towns in the World. (See here for a PARTIAL list) Most of the towns on this list already had such low populations that the repeated blows to the economy outright killed them.

This is exasperated by the simple fact that your want list is what "everyone" moving to Oregon wants. The fact is that "Quaint" towns are only "Quaint" for so long before everybody moves there and the town naturally changes away from what everyone wanted as large chains (such as Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Walmart, Best Buy) move in. The type of town I feel you're looking for doesn't exist in Oregon (possibly anywhere in the US,) anymore, except as a street or two in a much larger city.

Another point is Oregon land use laws - pushed into place by immigrating liberal Californians in the 60's and 70's means that one acre parcels of land are hard to find. Oregon laws don't lend themselves to to sub-divisions that small except in very specific locations, usually in those formerly quaint towns.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM

17,636 posts, read 22,647,543 times
Perhaps build a 2500sq ft log home above a 2500 sq ft basement. You will blend in with rhe forest.

Live in peace, harmony, tranquility.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:41 AM

67 posts, read 56,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I hate to say this, but check out Bend. You'll fit in, has the smaller town feel, 'better' weather than most all of Oregon and there is already a ton of these 5,000 sq. homes. Also, there's very little crime and you'll be 20 mins away from 5 9-10k mountains, one of which being a ski resort.

I gotta ask, though. What does one do with a 5,000 sq ft house? Do you have lots of kids? Lots of hobbies?

Ugh. Please don't encourage this loon to move to Bend. The last thing we need is another SoCal transplant that wants a piece of everything (how do you manage an acre of property and 5,000 sq foot house in a "subdivision"?)

Old 07-19-2011, 09:44 AM

42 posts, read 71,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Not to sound nasty, but the others are onto something. Having a giant McMansion will make you stand out like a sore thumb. You're looking for a house that is something like twice the average size of a home in 2009 (which is already gargantuan compared to what it used to be).
...hence wanting to build around other homes of this size (as I mentioned in my original post). Common sense. And this isn't a 'giant' mansion as you seem to say sarcastically (and by the way, what's with this McMansion? You who are using that phrase sound ridiculous!)

I have to say, I am truly taken aback at the unfriendly (hostile) sarcastic tones from some of the people. We surely didn't expect or welcome that. Again, we are simply looking to get some great direction/advice on places in Oregon that might be a great match for what we are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon