Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,833,337 times

Advertisements

I'd definitely give some weight to Silverfall's post, rather than blowing it off as some kind of ignorant or judgmental post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:26 PM

504 posts, read 2,176,191 times
IF you find it, let me know! Have you looked into Northern California? Other than Bend, I can't really think of a place that fits what you described. All of the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are on the West side, but with I-5 going right through, and the mountains, you'll hear the interstate, airplanes, etc...

OTOH, Bend used to be (don't know if it is anymore) really conservative, as is most of the "East side". of Oregon, although our weather is better (IMO).

Certainly any town the size you describe will have very few, if any houses that size. FWIW, we're a family of 4 in a 1700 sq ft house. In rural Oregon, there are many people with little money, and sad to say, but we feel lucky to be in a stick built home this size, as many live in mobile home parks or apartments.

Silverfalls knows her stuff though, and Hood River, as mentioned also has some large beautiful houses, but you won't find a Whole Foods or TJ in a "quaint" town, that's just not where they build their stores. But Oregon does have amazing farmers markets in the smallest of towns, gorgeous scenery and far fewer people than CA. It sounds like you still want urban with no people. You're not alone... wish I had a penny for every poster here who wants the same. I'd suggest you look for cities with lots of public land nearby. Ashland/Medford, Bend, Hood River, Portland, Eugene, Salem...

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 PM

42 posts, read 71,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
In your original post you presented what your desires were. People gave you feedback. Some of it might have been a bit harsh, but rooted in honest opinions and feelings. Take this for what it is: opinions on an internet message board that reflect how some of the population feels.

As I and others have said earlier, you wouldn't be the first Southern Californians to move to Bend. In fact, your brothers and sisters are probably partly responsible for Bend getting some of the amenities you desire (TJs, for example). I don't live in Bend, but my impression is that the wealthy transplants are in Bend, but not of Bend. What I mean here is that they have created their own little sub-community of 5000-square-foot houses in gated communities, which is really the antithesis of the Oregon vibe, which is quite non-materialistic and shuns conspicuous consumption. Even Oregon's home-grown affluent community (Lake Oswego, a suburb of Portland) is really pretty subdued compared to affluent communities in other cities.

So if you're still around to read this, follow Silverfall's advice and come and see it for yourself. I'm sure there are several contractors in the Bend area that would jump at the chance to build your dream house, whether it ends up being 5000 square feet or 2000 square feet.
Believe it or not, we completely understand where you and others are coming from (it's the uncalled for ugliness and 'judgmental' attitudes behind some of the opinions that I find off-putting! ...and the juvenile approach at lashing out from one particular poster).

We ourselves are not pretentious people, but do understand how a house of this size could definitely come across as being just that. Very pretentious. This is not what we want to convey about ourselves! And because so, and after this experience, we are seriously considering scaling down our house. But at the same time, this is our dream house and we plan to spend many many years living the next chapters of our lives in it (plus as I mentioned before, we plan to have lots of family and friends come for visits. We would desire plenty of room for that). We simply want the land we build on and the surrounding area to be to our liking (naturally). But I believe that everything happens for a reason and perhaps this experience was meant to not only get some good feedback on where to build, but to most importantly, open our eyes. Thanks again for your input. It is truly appreciated!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird39 View Post
IF you find it, let me know! Have you looked into Northern California? Other than Bend, I can't really think of a place that fits what you described. All of the Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are on the West side, but with I-5 going right through, and the mountains, you'll hear the interstate, airplanes, etc...

OTOH, Bend used to be (don't know if it is anymore) really conservative, as is most of the "East side". of Oregon, although our weather is better (IMO).

Certainly any town the size you describe will have very few, if any houses that size. FWIW, we're a family of 4 in a 1700 sq ft house. In rural Oregon, there are many people with little money, and sad to say, but we feel lucky to be in a stick built home this size, as many live in mobile home parks or apartments.

Silverfalls knows her stuff though, and Hood River, as mentioned also has some large beautiful houses, but you won't find a Whole Foods or TJ in a "quaint" town, that's just not where they build their stores. But Oregon does have amazing farmers markets in the smallest of towns, gorgeous scenery and far fewer people than CA. It sounds like you still want urban with no people. You're not alone... wish I had a penny for every poster here who wants the same. I'd suggest you look for cities with lots of public land nearby. Ashland/Medford, Bend, Hood River, Portland, Eugene, Salem...

Hope you find what you're looking for!
(sigh). Let me tell you, after being bombarded with such negative and hostile comments...your post is quite refreshing. Thank you! And I wholeheartedly appreciate your time and your input and will for sure take into consideration all that you shared. Again, thank you. ...oh and yes, we actually have considered Northern Cal. Oregon simply appeals to us more...just have to find that right place. I know it will take some researching and some time. But we're convinced we WILL find it. Cheers!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'd definitely give some weight to Silverfall's post, rather than blowing it off as some kind of ignorant or judgmental post.
I wasn't referring to Silverfall's post when I made that comment. I am clearly appreciative of Silverfall's input. Please pay attention to what is being said and when it's being said (where it's directed), if you're going to take part in this post. --And I'm merely here for ideas on location, not to have to defend ourselves or be in some "battle" with irate individuals. If you, or anyone else are thorough in your reading, you will see, I am very understanding and able to appreciate what is being shared on this post. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM

504 posts, read 2,176,191 times
I hate to say it, but I've LIVED in communities where city people move to try to escape, and it just doesn't work out most of the time. Probably too much of a culture shock.

Most people want an escape, from the big city, but IMO the ones that seem happiest are those who stay in the city and buy a little lake or mountain cabin. It's no fun having to maintain and pay taxes on 2 houses, and most people cant' afford it, but if you can afford it, have you considered that? Maybe get a condo in Portland, and a nice little house on the ocean or lake or mountain. Usually, though there's no room to spread out on shorelines. HTH

Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 PM

67 posts, read 56,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preshiesgirl View Post
I wasn't referring to Silverfall's post when I made that comment. I am clearly appreciative of Silverfall's input. Please pay attention to what is being said and when it's being said (where it's directed), if you're going to take part in this post. --And I'm merely here for ideas on location, not to have to defend ourselves or be in some "battle" with irate individuals. If you, or anyone else are thorough in your reading, you will see, I am very understanding and able to appreciate what is being shared on this post. Thanks.
This is an open forum where opinions are welcome (and inevitable). Remember that the next time you post on a forum. You can ignore the criticisms if you want.

And in this case, another Californian moving to Oregon (especially Bend) to "live the good life" is going to elicit a LOT of opinions from Oregonians. Most of them negative.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:02 PM

405 posts, read 1,281,147 times
Preshiesgirl, beware of us unhappy and bitter Oregonians. We are a rough bunch. You will most likely need top-notch security to keep us out.. Oregon, does have good gun laws and Castle Doctrine, you can mount a .50cal on top of your palace to pick off all those angry lower-class people who try to invade your precious dream home.

You can rationalize your situation all you like, but I think many people here can see through you like glass. YOu also mention you like to keep to yourselves. Well DUH! Most of the wealthy southern invaders love keeping to themselves and build giant walls and incorporate fancy security systems to keep all the other "little people" out. If you really want to make friends here and enjoy living in ORegon and be different, why don't you go move into a suburban neighborhood into a smaller house. Try normal life for a while before you embark on your pseudo-fantasy.

Go spend time with some local people, learn their ways, culture and be willing to be part of the community. The fact that you are so worried about fancy security systems and a safe community is because you are afraid of the community you are living. You want to live on an island. Oregon is your fantasy land, but you fail to see the sweat and blood that made this state what it is and the struggles of those who lost their homes and way of life for your fantasy. Once upon a time, even California was a beautiful place. Ask my father who grew up there as a kid.

I know you just want to make your friends in your little elite community, invite all your family and friends to indulge in all the fine delicacies that you are so "blessed" with, but you like all the others neglect the world around you. You don't mind tearing apart this state to appease your own desires. What will you do to make Oregon a better place? All you're interested in is your dreams and fantasies, failing to see others will lose their dreams because of you and others like you.

Of course, every person has a sob story to tell and tries to rationalize why what they do is alright. What breaks my heart is to see all the beautiful forests and "old-quaint towns" in Oregon be pummeled to put up more wealthy homes, subdivisions and giant marketplaces. I was watching them tear apart the farming communities outside of Beaverton to build more mansions and giant shopping centers that cater to the upper-class. Quite a heartbreaking, but common site these days. Just like in California.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM

758 posts, read 2,372,404 times
"Well, yah, you are being condescending and you don't even know me (us). You're making the mistake, like most people do, to "judge" right off the bat (which of course is human nature). You want to generalize or "group" everyone together. It's clear you are bitter. Understandable, but don't assume you know me or how I live my life or what my attitudes are. "

I have to chime in here.

Yes, one CAN make certain judgments about folks who require 2500 square feet per person for their house. It's extremely wasteful. One thing you will find about Oregonians, should you choose to move here, is that we are much more like Yankee / Midwestern folks when it comes to material things.
By Oregon standards, 95-98% of Oregonians would not build a house of that size.

There are a fair number of folks from South California who've moved here and contributed to urban sprawl. They are pretty much scorned. What you describe is found outside Sacramento and Fresno. Both would be good places for you to look, and you would fit right in.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:51 PM

758 posts, read 2,372,404 times
Preshiesgirl, beware of us unhappy and bitter Oregonians. We are a rough bunch. You will most likely need top-notch security to keep us out.. Oregon, does have good gun laws

Yes... Oregon is an open-carry state! I have yet to test strapping on my revolver and walking through the office door with it, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon