Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 AM

42 posts, read 71,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Im from washington but love Bend and Redmond area for the Weather and beauty . I wouldnt mind living in either place either.

Thanks so much for your input. It is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 AM

67 posts, read 56,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by preshiesgirl View Post
...hence wanting to build around other homes of this size (as I mentioned in my original post). Common sense. And this isn't a 'giant' mansion as you seem to say sarcastically (and by the way, what's with this McMansion? You who are using that phrase sound ridiculous!)

I have to say, I am truly taken aback at the unfriendly (hostile) sarcastic tones from some of the people. We surely didn't expect or welcome that. Again, we are simply looking to get some great direction/advice on places in Oregon that might be a great match for what we are looking for.
People in Oregon have watched their home values drop 60% as a result of those from SoCal who travel to Oregon, buy a gargantuan, unnecessarily large home, and drag their real-estate recession with them north. The leisure-class yuppies from down south have literally driven Bend to become an economic disaster area, and they have done it in smaller measure to other towns in Oregon.

You may effort mightily to prove that you're not of this stereotype, but you certain fit the mold (2 people in a house that size is ridiculous by any measure....at a minimum, if this is what you can afford, I have no idea why one of your resources for searching out a town would be an online forum. Surely you can hop on your private jet and spend a month up here to scout). More power to you, and enjoy your clearly successful life, but please cease to be surprised when people react with scorn as you want to "Californianize" an acre of Oregon land for 2 people with no children. I'm married with a 4-year-old and we live in a 1500 sq foot house. So, why wouldn't you expect people like me to react with scorn?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
I read your post and understand that you work from home and don't have kids. I asked as more of rhetorical question because 5,000 sq. ft. for two people, no matter the circumstance, is ridiculous spatially, not to mention financially. The funny thing is, I'm not even from Oregon originally, I just agree with em' and it's part of the reason I choose to move here last year.

Others commented on why I said "I hate to say this...", but essentially Bend has a large faction of Southern Californians who have sold their homes down south, taken the money north to build their dream home. There is good reason for this. The town is an extremely desirable area to live, but, from my limited experience here, there seems to be stigma against people (not matter where you're from - there just happens to be many from S. Californian) who move here and do not buy into the Oregon way of life (modesty, etc.) and attempt to "change" things making them more like "back home". If you move here without this attitude (you don't seem to have this attitude at all, actually, aside from the size of your home of which I'm jumping on you about), Oregonians tend to accept you with open arms (in my experience, anyway). Not sure whether that's because one ends up becoming the lesser of two evils, but either way, it has paned itself out....

Bend seems like a moot point regardless, as you explained later on that you're looking for a smaller town. Maybe check out some of the locations mentioned just outside of Bend or maybe even Sisters. Sisters is a bit colder than Bend and definitely gets more snow in the winter, but it'd be tough to find a house that doesn't have an amazing view!

Good luck!
I truly appreciate your input. And you are certainly right! We don't have the attitude or intentions of most of those people. We would never want to "change" the way things are in Oregon to make them more like Calif. Eeek...are you kidding...no, just the opposite. We are craving the simplicity and charm of Oregon. And I have to say, after getting such negative responses regarding the size of our house (this completely unexpected), we are seriously considering, perhaps, scaling down our floor plan. We truly don't want to be seen or looked upon in such a negative way just for the house we choose to live in.

Thanks for your suggestions. Again, it is much appreciated.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
I truly appreciate your input. And you are certainly right! We don't have the attitude or intentions of most of those people. We would never want to "change" the way things are in Oregon to make them more like Calif. Eeek...are you kidding...no, just the opposite. We are craving the simplicity and charm of Oregon. And I have to say, after getting such negative responses regarding the size of our house (this completely unexpected), we are seriously considering, perhaps, scaling down our floor plan. We truly don't want to be seen or looked upon in such a negative way just for the house we choose to live in.

Thanks for your suggestions. Again, it is much appreciated.
I really can't fathom a person who truly "craves simplicity and charm" planning a mcmansion on an acre of land.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbeavs3 View Post
People in Oregon have watched their home values drop 60% as a result of those from SoCal who travel to Oregon, buy a gargantuan, unnecessarily large home, and drag their real-estate recession with them north. The leisure-class yuppies from down south have literally driven Bend to become an economic disaster area, and they have done it in smaller measure to other towns in Oregon.

You may effort mightily to prove that you're not of this stereotype, but you certain fit the mold (2 people in a house that size is ridiculous by any measure....at a minimum, if this is what you can afford, I have no idea why one of your resources for searching out a town would be an online forum. Surely you can hop on your private jet and spend a month up here to scout). More power to you, and enjoy your clearly successful life, but please cease to be surprised when people react with scorn as you want to "Californianize" an acre of Oregon land for 2 people with no children. I'm married with a 4-year-old and we live in a 1500 sq foot house. So, why wouldn't you expect people like me to react with scorn?
I'm only going to say this once...and then ignore any OTHER ignorant and judgmental comments directed towards us on this thread. You can have your "opinions" and to some extent they may even be justified, but you are so completely off base with directing your fury towards me (us). As I said to one other angry spewing poster, you don't know me. Don't "judge" me (albeit human nature so you fit right in to THAT crowd!). Don't generalize and "group" everyone together. We are not the people you are describing in the least. Again, DON'T presume to know me or how I live my life or what my attitudes are or my intentions.

As for you, you are obviously unhappy and bitter. Sorry for you. Do have a wonderful glorious day. I know I will.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:35 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
OP you clearly need to come and visit and see if the Oregon way of life is for you. While I know you feel that a 5250 sq home isn't large, it is very large by Oregon standards. Oregonians are a very modest people, in general. While we have our 17,000 sq foot mansions, they are a rarity for our wealthy. One of the wealthiest men in Salem lives in a really simple house. You'd never know he was a multi-millionaire.

Your home desire appears to be very wasteful from an Oregonian perspective. That's a lot of timber and materials to build that house and you are considering moving to a state that loves its forests and recycles like crazy. Oregonians generally live very modestly. I find that the people that move here and thrive have this attitude. People that don't live this way, tend to feel out of sorts and unwelcome.

You are, of course, welcome to do what you want, but Oregon isn't flashy or grandiose. The things you say you despise in CA, you appear to be bringing with you. When you come visit, drive around neighborhoods and you will understand what the people on the forum are talking about. I had a client a couple of years ago with 4 kids that had a 5,000 sq foot house in Idaho. He wanted the same thing here. He made an interesting statement, "You guys just build houses differently out here" and that is what the commenters on here are trying to express to you. He bought a 3,000 sq foot house.

Come for an extended stay. See if you like Oregon, and then I encourage you to understand that we are just different out here.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I'm only going to say this once...and then ignore any OTHER ignorant and judgmental comments directed towards us on this thread. You can have your "opinions" and to some extent they may even be justified, but you are so completely off base with directing your fury towards me (us). As I said to one other angry spewing poster, you don't know me. Don't "judge" me (albeit human nature so you fit right in to THAT crowd!). Don't generalize and "group" everyone together. We are not the people you are describing in the least. Again, DON'T presume to know me or how I live my life or what my attitudes are or my intentions.

As for you, you are obviously unhappy and bitter. Sorry for you. Do have a wonderful glorious day. I know I will.

LMAO! So you lecture me on judging people and making assumptions, then your last paragraph includes a blatantly judgmental statement rife with an assumption.

We presume to know your intentions because you told us. All of the reactions have flowed from that, and that alone.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbeavs3 View Post
LMAO! So you lecture me on judging people and making assumptions, then your last paragraph includes a blatantly judgmental statement rife with an assumption.

We presume to know your intentions because you told us. All of the reactions have flowed from that, and that alone.
You completely missed what I said. Again, so sorry for you. ...and I'm not going to waste any more of my time taking part in all of this ugliness.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
You completely missed what I said. Again, so sorry for you. ...and I'm not going to waste any more of my time taking part in all of this ugliness.

Try Ashland. LMAO! You'd fit in there.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,626,458 times
Quote:
I have to say, I am truly taken aback at the unfriendly (hostile) sarcastic tones from some of the people. We surely didn't expect or welcome that. Again, we are simply looking to get some great direction/advice on places in Oregon that might be a great match for what we are looking for.
In your original post you presented what your desires were. People gave you feedback. Some of it might have been a bit harsh, but rooted in honest opinions and feelings. Take this for what it is: opinions on an internet message board that reflect how some of the population feels.

As I and others have said earlier, you wouldn't be the first Southern Californians to move to Bend. In fact, your brothers and sisters are probably partly responsible for Bend getting some of the amenities you desire (TJs, for example). I don't live in Bend, but my impression is that the wealthy transplants are in Bend, but not of Bend. What I mean here is that they have created their own little sub-community of 5000-square-foot houses in gated communities, which is really the antithesis of the Oregon vibe, which is quite non-materialistic and shuns conspicuous consumption. Even Oregon's home-grown affluent community (Lake Oswego, a suburb of Portland) is really pretty subdued compared to affluent communities in other cities.

So if you're still around to read this, follow Silverfall's advice and come and see it for yourself. I'm sure there are several contractors in the Bend area that would jump at the chance to build your dream house, whether it ends up being 5000 square feet or 2000 square feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon