Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times

Advertisements

okeeee, Im home again, so I'll pick up where I left off.

6) growth...oh SOB!!! I was very dismayed the Home Depot fell through. I know an awful lot of others were too. sigh. Ive heard rumors that the people who bought the mall may be bringing in some new stores there. Ive got high hopes!
There are some very good resturants around here. We finally tried a place called Buffelo Bills, and we were quite pleased!! Its on the spendy side for us, 28.00 for a pretty good sized steak (that was EXCELLENT!!!) A HUGE bowl of beef soup, which typically I dont care for, but there, I ate 2 bowls!, a salad, veggies and tater, and these humoungous onion rings.Plus a coffee and bowl of icecream after.....Bennettis is very good, if you like mexican, the place in the mall, Los Dos Amigos is very good, as is our favorite place, La Costa. The owner of La Costa is a real kick. We just adore him!! He is very friendly, will sit there and chat w/us when he can, and he strolls around w/his guitar and sings if you ask. He is terrific at remembering how you like your food, and drinks. Its one of our fav. places to go.
now as for shopping. Youve got your typical, WalMart, Freddys, BiMart, couple stores in the mall, stuff like that. Most things you need can be found in town. We like to make the 2 1/2or so hour trip up to Lincoln City a couple times a year and hit the outlet mall there. LOVE IT!! Eugene is about the same distance and you can find most anything there.

anyhow, theres a start, lemme know if theres anythign else I may help you with!
Have a happy day!!!!
Tiffany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 AM

BTW, this was on the local news website this morning (kcby) I thought you might be interested.....

"COOS BAY - Providing the highest quality standard of care and safety for their patients, Bay Area Hospital receives an important health accreditation from the nation's oldest and largest health accrediting agency.

Back in late 2007, The Joint Commission, a non-profit accreditation agency, made an unannounced, on-site evaluation of the hospital, it's staff, and their care, after which they awarded the hospital with their Gold Seal of Approval.

"They're looking for our standard of patient care, they're looking for our health standards. They talk with our patients, they talk with our patients families, they talk with our staff," says Bay Area Hospital Director of Public Relations Bonnie Barron.

Barron says the hospital uses the evaluation, which happens once every three years, to look at things they are doing right, and how they can improve.

"They are looking in every area we have, every drawer so to speak, in order to meet these specific standards. That's why we are proud to do this. The community should feel very confident in the services we provide."

The Joint Commission was founded in 1951 on the basis of helping improve safety and quality of health care through accreditation. "

Old 05-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Hey MikeMorrow.....
I drove thru Winchester Bay yesterday and thought of you......it was a beautiful day, and I thought of all you have to look forward to when you get here.....
Tiffany

Old 05-04-2008, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 34,874 times
the place is full of angry conservative republicans who hate and complain about everything. bill clinton recently came to speak at a school and instead of being excited a former president would even care to visit the place they just complained about how "he is an immoral horrible person" yadda yadda yadda. If you want to read alot of the publics general consensus go to THE WORLD (local newspapers) website and read all the hateful comments people post and realize how nearly illiterate and uneducated many of the people are on there (most probably never even graduated from high school, let alone went to college.) Mostly small town, small minded bigots. Not a friendly town at all, it has a pretty bad reputation around the rest of the state.

here's the link to THE WORLD's site:

The World Link - Homepage

Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 PM

57 posts, read 304,319 times
You seem like you are trying to keep people from coming there. Probably because you don't want people to find happiness there and keep it to yourself.
I don't believe you. I just get this feeling your crabbing to keep people from migrating to a better life.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:31 PM

lol, well....sounds like MF81783 met the wrong people! Personally, ive found most of the people here to be quite friendly and open. i was part of a discussion with a large group of people about Clintons visit here, and there were definatly people on different sides! And, some, right smack in the middle. I saw many of the posters people were making, welcome signs and the like. And we talked, civilly, of the questions people should/would ask. There were many people that were welcoming and excited for this visit. It was by far, away from a big complaining fest.
As for the people here being uneducated and no higher education, I do disagree there as well. Not to mention, we do have a lovely community college, right here in town, that many of the graduating class take advantage of. I think its just that most of the people around here are not braggarts, so who's to know what anyones education level is? People arent dumb, theyre just more humble.
And, ive said this time and again, I believe you will meet people to be as you treat them.And, as you seek and expect them to be. If youre coming here, only looking for those negative folks, you'll find them, thats for sure.(we DO have our share of those people!! but where doesnt??) but you'll also miss out on the majority of the people who are friendly, honest and open.
Tiffany

Old 05-05-2008, 03:12 PM

If you don't believe me just read the census. Only 15% of the population has a college degree. That is a VERY low percentage. Do some research. I'm not trying "keep Coos Bay to myself," I moved away to live in a better place. My father is a police officer there so I know how big a problem a crime and meth is in the area. I don't think tiffela has dealt with crime or politics or went to school there. I lived there for 20 years. There are way better places on the Coast. I would rather live in Bandon, Newport or Astoria.

Also, here's a link to another Bay Area news source, Koos News. Once again it shows how ridiculous and racist some of the people there are.

Coos County News without the Spin-Koos News

Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf81783 View Post
If you don't believe me just read the census. Only 15% of the population has a college degree. That is a VERY low percentage. Do some research. I'm not trying "keep Coos Bay to myself," I moved away to live in a better place. My father is a police officer there so I know how big a problem a crime and meth is in the area. I don't think tiffela has dealt with crime or politics or went to school there. I lived there for 20 years. There are way better places on the Coast. I would rather live in Bandon, Newport or Astoria.

Also, here's a link to another Bay Area news source, Koos News. Once again it shows how ridiculous and racist some of the people there are.

Coos County News without the Spin-Koos News
I must agree with the above. The only thing I might add is that as a whole the people are nice but still small town people. I have heard it described as the arm pit of Oregon---alittle harsh but has some merit.
Do look at city-data for stats. One of the reasons we could not wait too leave was that I was tired of the uneducated-------tired of the lack of culture----tired of the rising crime----tired of what poverty brings to an area-----tired of lack of shopping------really tired of the World newspaper-----tired of poor restraurants-----tired of the school sytem and the college. Face it, it is a run down coastal town for its size. It is too bad as it could be much more but the locals want it as it is and do not like change. That is what has been going on for years. I want to say that I really appreciate Tiffela for her positive attitude. I just want people to know the down side and I am trying to be honest IMO.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:56 PM

First off, thanks for the kind words Vnodak. I know we disagree on a lot about CB, but at least we can disagree in a friendly way!
I will however, agree with you on the lack of shopping! I came from the Clackamas/Happy Valley area, and grew up around Portland burbs, so I do dearly dearly miss the huge variety of shops and resturants! Although, according to my husband, the lack of shopping is a bonus, since I dont spend as much $$ on clothes/shoes/knickknacks/etc. Although,....there IS Ebay! But yea, I do miss just up and spending the day at the mall, the one here takes about 10min. to go through, and thats going IN the stores! lol Thank Heavens Lincoln City and Eugene are within a few short hours. Otherwise.......

I have to disagree that I havent experienced any crime here in Coos Bay. I was actually, for the first time in my life, the victim of an attempted robbery not too long ago. My husband actually caught him in our garage, trying to get in through my sons window! Fortunatly, the PD did catch him, unfortunatly, he was released within 48hrs. sigh. The of course, the little (#*&*^ buglarized other homes, stole someones car, crashed it into another one, and was caught, yes, high on Meth and in possession. sigh. So ya, I know it exists and I dont think we live in any Mayberry or Pleasantville, but I read about/hear about/see less crime than we did in any other area Ive lived in (well, besides Mulino, which has a population of about 12. lol) I also work w/someone whos w/the local PD and had headed the County meth task force. This person is blunt and straight up about what they have seen and delt with, and I tend to believe them. We're also part of our neighborhood watch and Im involved in the Anti-drug programs for our local youth. So I do know theres druggies out here, I know the crap they have done and the H#ll they have raised, lives they have ruined. BUT, again, Im just gonna have to stand by that its getting better, and its definatly not as bad as many other areas.
No, I didnt go to the schools here, but a lot of my husbands family did, back to his grandparents, and up through cousins in the area, and now our kids. I will say, interestingly enough, both of my inlaws and 2 of his cousins went on to be teachers, 2 in higher education, and they are very very up on where our kids are in comparision to other schools in Oregon, and locally. Education is something that is HUGE in our family. (my 6yr old is already decided on a college. lol) and believe me, if any of the family thought our kids were behind in any way academically, we would catch it! In fact, my oldest just tested out at a college reading level (as a 7th grader) and is in the top 15% of the state. My son is in the tag programs, and my kg. is already reading, and doing add/sub. w/confidence. So, I like the schools and how my kids are doing.
I will agree again, that Coos Bay does not have the amount of culture that somewhere like Portland does. But, we expected that when we moved here. We do still enjoy the local culture though, through things like the Art Walks, the Jazz in the Park, local Theater, and other activities. No, it isnt up on the level of again, Portland, but thats okay for us. We soak up whats here, and make occasional trips to Portland.
I will say too, I am very Unpolitical. I could honestly care less who wants who for what office etc. I have my own opinions and will vote for whom i chose. Ive found myself free to speak my opinions have have never suffered for it. Again, the grouping where we were discussing Clintons visit, there were people there that were very clearly for opposing sides. And many were vocal. But everyone had their say, and no one was ridiculed or hated for what they spoke. Thats just my experience though.....

Anyhow, nope, Coos Bay is NOT for everyone. I can see where some people dont like it. I certainly didnt think I would. Big surprise to me! lol I will say, off 101, UGLY! I think a LOT could be done to improve it.I would love to see a bayfront like persay...Bandon, or Florance have. Theres a lot to offer here, but it is scattered about and can be challening to find if youre not from here. ( or you cant find me to help lol) yes, there are some nasty dirty awful people here, ive run into them and hope not to again! Theres areas theres no way I would walk through, much less live! And there is crime and drugs. But theres still a lot of others, like me, who would like to see Coos Bay improve, and see the potential. Hey, wanna come to the Ladies Luncheon for the Boys and Girls Club w/me? I'll extend an offer for anyone who wants to come, to sit at my table and meet up with some of the people here in Coos Bay who are doing all they can to make it a great place to live. Honestly, you wanna come, gimmie a hoot. I'll save you a chair!
Tiffany

Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM

I do disagree with you on many things tiffela, but I am also glad there are people moving there who care about making the place better. I am very hopeful the area will improve, I see so much potential. Hopefully more of the local people will think like you and accomplish something. I studied urban planning and to me it's ridiculous that they haven't done something fantastic with the waterfront like Newport or Florence. (Home Depot is NOT fantastic) Right now it just looks like deserted parking lots. Thank you for thinking forward tiffela!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon