Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 07:06 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
BRT does not work in the Orlando metro area due to already congested roads and highways, adding a dedicated BRT-only lane to local roads and highways would take YEARS to build throughout the entire region and would only cause more heavy traffic congestion and less space for road expansion for the already space-limited roads. Not to mention, I can only imagine how many clueless drivers (especially tourists) would violate the BRT-only lanes and help themselves into the lanes causing delays to BRT and accidents. It has already been proven in other major metro areas that rail-based systems are more efficient, more innovative, and significantly safer than bus-based systems.
Actually Orlando's highways/roads are largely not that congested which would also help explain the novelty aspect of a commuter rail system most see as a fun diversion with the kids versus a valid choice for transportation. Dedicated BRT lanes are easily added via existing right of ways and are flexible based on changing demands. It's already being proven in areas with similar developmental patterns (metro areas lacking concentric employment centers) that BRT is a valuable addition. Lastly BRT lanes are limited access (concrete barriers) and not a matter of changing lanes in terms of "clueless tourists" merging into them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
How far is some one willing to walk and wait for a bus and/or train,then do the same thing at the end of their workday in weather like this=Weather in Orlando - AccuWeather Forecast for FL 32801

Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How far is some one willing to walk and wait for a bus and/or train,then do the same thing at the end of their workday in weather like this=Weather in Orlando - AccuWeather Forecast for FL 32801
If they live and work near the train stations, users would still suffer from the heat. Sunrail has to invest in more shade, hydration methods and maybe even AC waiting rooms at its more dominate stations. From what I have read and seen all the stations have the exact same build and design. Small shade, no fountains, no drink machines. There are stations where people live near them, but the issue is not many businesses are near them yet.

This is a great site I found about Sunrail and the main issues with it, from a supporters point of view.

Home - Sunrail Riders

The best part of the site to me is the ridership breakdown. It shows which stations are the weakest and strongest Lynx.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:56 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,426 times
I tried taking this with kids to Winter Park a week or so ago. The ORMC station does not even have a parking lot. This is a ridiculous means of transportation.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:06 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,432,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
I tried taking this with kids to Winter Park a week or so ago. The ORMC station does not even have a parking lot. This is a ridiculous means of transportation.
There IS parking available at the Amtrak Station immediately adjacent to the SunRail platforms, there is a surface lot at the Amtrak Station and there is also street parking available on Sligh Blvd.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
There IS parking available at the Amtrak Station immediately adjacent to the SunRail platforms, there is a surface lot at the Amtrak Station and there is also street parking available on Sligh Blvd.
That lot was very small, and said AMTRAK passengers only, no mention of Sunrail. It was also full.
There was no available street parking within 2 blocks, and the surrounding areas are pretty sketchy. You would think a "commuter" rail not near a residential area would understand the need for adequate parking.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:09 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Not all the the stations should have parking, especially when there is a station with many apartments and businesses right near it. Is this the case?? If it just siting out in the open then yea, I see your point.

Idr591 what is your opinion on Winter Park station is it in the ghetto? I was reading that the City of Orlando will NOT use the trains during 4th of July for security reasons, but the news didnt say what the security issue was.

Last edited by 0nyxStation; 06-23-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 11:31 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
I wish it did some good here in Daytona. Sunrail looks very promising, but we were totally left out of the loop. To get to Sunrail from here, you have to take a bus to the downtown Votran terminal, then board a #60 bus to Deland. That bus takes about an hour, plus your initial bus ride to get to the downtown bus terminal. From the #60, you get to go to the prison!!!, then back onto the hwy to Deland. From there, I can catch a Votran #31 that goes from Deland to the Debary Sunrail terminal, but that bus only runs at peak hours. Meaning it stops running before 5AM, and doesn't pick up again until after 3PM. You can't get to Deland on the #60 as early as 5AM, and if you were to connect w/ it at 3PM and go to Orlando, you would have to stay overnight and catch an early morning Sunrail train back to Debary and hopefully catch the #31 in the afternoon back to Deland in the slim chance of getting back to Daytona on the #60, and by then you have probably missed your last bus from the downtown Daytona terminal and would have to cab home!

We just take a Dots Shuttle from Daytona to Orlando. It's more money, but they leave at all hours of the day and night, and for a small fee will pick you up and drop you off at your home's front door. Sunrail......pfffft.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Not all the the stations should have parking, especially when there is a station with many apartments and businesses right near it. Is this the case?? If it just siting out in the open then yea, I see your point.

Idr591 what is your opinion on Winter Park station is it in the ghetto? I was reading that the City of Orlando will NOT use the trains during 4th of July for security reasons, but the news didnt say what the security issue was.
The Winter Park station is very nice. Right off Park Avenue.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:22 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
If they live and work near the train stations, users would still suffer from the heat. Sunrail has to invest in more shade, hydration methods and maybe even AC waiting rooms at its more dominate stations. From what I have read and seen all the stations have the exact same build and design. Small shade, no fountains, no drink machines. There are stations where people live near them, but the issue is not many businesses are near them yet.

This is a great site I found about Sunrail and the main issues with it, from a supporters point of view.

Home - Sunrail Riders

The best part of the site to me is the ridership breakdown. It shows which stations are the weakest and strongest Lynx.
This site and the followers on facebook have made me better understand those who are diehard supporters are almost entirely selfish human beings who wish for the rail to accommodate their needs, despite all the obstacles in front of them about it.

As if switching from five day to seven day service is like flicking a light switch.

SunRail is almost a textbook example of a garbage idea implemented as poorly as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando