Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 03:08 PM

52 posts, read 349,918 times

Advertisements

I remember when there were:

No Cable TV
No Starbucks
No Home Depot/Lowes
No Walmart/Target
Real people owned stores
People who put their shopping carts back
No shootouts, just fights and you were still friends
polite people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 03:48 PM

9,726 posts, read 14,269,161 times
I remember when we all knew the athletes in every high school in our County, and all of their parents on a first name basis, because we all went to school together.

Now we know only the athletes in our own school district, none of their parents, and just a couple of their grandparents.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 PM

18 posts, read 53,190 times
Default Old As Dirt

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers all that however vaguely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
You guys are talking all MODERN stuff. I recall the Ice Box with 25 or 50 lb blocks of ice on top of the fridge. Bread man, Milk man, Ice man,Farmer wagon with fresh Fruit & vegetables all being pulled by a HORSE. Milk bottles with cream at the top. Going to the closed local bakery back door and pay the baker .09c for a loaf of hot bread. Going down the basement and turning the wine press full of grapes to make cider towards making WINE. Cider was delicious. One dip ice cream cone for .03c, double dip .05c, triple dip for .10c. GOOD old days. NOW you know what OLD is really like. Stefhen

Old 08-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Default How About the Rag Man

He would come pushing his huge cart down the cobblestone brick paved alleys calling out "Rags, Rags" and we were so afraid he also stole children like the gypsies we were warned about or the rag taggle people who lived on the riverfront and would occasionally come riding bareback on an old swaybag nag through the South St. Louis neighborhoods.

Quote:
You guys are talking all MODERN stuff. I recall the Ice Box with 25 or 50 lb blocks of ice on top of the fridge. Bread man, Milk man, Ice man,Farmer wagon with fresh Fruit & vegetables all being pulled by a HORSE. Milk bottles with cream at the top. Going to the closed local bakery back door and pay the baker .09c for a loaf of hot bread. Going down the basement and turning the wine press full of grapes to make cider towards making WINE. Cider was delicious. One dip ice cream cone for .03c, double dip .05c, triple dip for .10c. GOOD old days. NOW you know what OLD is really like. Stefhen

Old 08-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Default Lucky Stike Cigarette Packs

It was a race to step on the empty packs when found in a gutter or on the sidewalk.

How about ten red plastic tokens equaled one cent and a green plastic one was equal to five red ones. They were used for sales tax!!!!

Quote:

Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
I remember cranking up the ol Model A and working the two levers on the steering wheel to adjust the spark.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,626,594 times
Playing outside. Playing in the snow.
Stepping in puddles when it rained.
Sitting on the front porch in the summer,
while drinking Iced Tea and listening
to the radio.
Watching American Bandstand on Saturdays.
Sundays no stores were open.
Waiting to see the moon so big and orange, knowing the
next day was going to be a HOT one!
Playing Jump rope in the street, and kick ball too!
Calling home on a rotary phone and when it was
busy you had to KEEP trying till it finally rang
OR... if it was important you'd call the Operator
and demand they cut in for an emergency!

Phone booths that you went IN and closed the
door, so no one could hear you.
A paper boy on a bicycle!!... do they do that anymore?
A milk man, who left milk for mom to pick up
the next moring in her box on the porch.

Ah, those were the days huh?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:15 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,988 times
My brother and I used to play baseball in the neighborhood on a vacant lot. We would mow the grass using one of our parents' push mowers. A tall pine tree was the foul pole in left. The Colby's house (bless 'em) was the foul pole in right. There was a dirt road at the back of the outfield lined with telephone poles. Anything hit over the wires was an automatic home run. There were about two guys that could hit that well and I wasn't one of them.

It was an honor to play there. My brother - 4 yrs older - and his friends finally deemed me big enough to play. Still, I was small change to them and, thus, the brunt of their jokes and kidding. But I was there. I was accepted. And I was playing hardball with the big kids. It was so good to pitch, to hit, to run, to be serious about something. A few years later they built an apartment complex there and I would find myself wondering where all those hours and days had gone.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:48 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times
I remember a theatre in North St. Louis called 'The Queens'. During the summer months the cartoons and previews and sometimes part of the first feature would be viewed outside on seats. then when it became dark, everyone wold just go inside and watch the rest of the movies. 10 cents to get in and 5 cents for popcorn!

Old 08-03-2008, 04:13 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
Yep, remember the spark control in middle of the steering wheel and also learning to drive a car with three foot pedals side by side, (one was NOT a gas pedal). Also driving a V16 cyl Caddy limo that had a glass partition behind the driver and a bunch of toggle switchs on the dash to control all the inside lights front and back. That car was a TRIP to drive. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics