Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

I cook too and very much enjoy it. DH travels alot and I like to have nice dinners when he is home. He eats out way too much. Just made homemade 4 cheese mac and cheese today only for the girls.

Cooking has helped me with one of my daughters who is especially hands on learner. Setting up all the cups and spoons helps her see how math is a part of our every day life.

My oldest daughter is very tiny and I had to sew or alter all her clothes, including the 4 bridesmaid dresses she has had to buy since she graduated from college.

In high school I actually made several ski sweaters with oodles of bobbins hanging down. I make bedspreads, curtains, decorative pillows and every child had way cute custom nursery ensembles including dust ruffles and baby quilts on the cribs.

My girls always give my handmade gifts for birthday presents. it used to be lots of doll clothes but lately I've been making matching Mom and Daughter apron sets. How easy is it to make an apron?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I wasn't alive in the 60's, but they should really bring back those Home-Ec classes. There is a generation of kids now who can't sew on a button or boil water on a stove. I taught my son (and am teaching the others) basic home tasks, but he knows kids at college who can't even do laundry!
My daughter took home ec last year in 9th grade. It was very much like when I took in in 9th grade except instead of having to turn in a recipe box, she had to turn in a Word document of recipes. She made fettucini alfredo, steamed brocolli and floating island (that was a throw back) for final meal. She learned to sew on buttons, hem pants and skirts, tighten a drippy faucet and even how to change a light switch to a dimmer switch.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:32 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I cook. From scratch. Just the smell of most microwave food makes me nauseus and it cannot be good for you. I'm getting asked by more and more 20-40 -year olds for recipes. And even simple cooking instructions.

Learning to cook is something they should teach kids today - not just popping a frozen dinner in the microwave. My daughter learned the importance of this when she became a vegan years ago and was apalled at the prices and ingredients of the prepared frozen "vegetarian" entrees. She's since learned to cook her own from scratch and saves quite a bit of money on her grocery bill. I make my own soups from scratch because I can control the sodium content (and they taste better) and I grow my own vegetables. You know what's in your food when you make it yourself.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:47 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
My daughter took home ec last year in 9th grade. It was very much like when I took in in 9th grade except instead of having to turn in a recipe box, she had to turn in a Word document of recipes. She made fettucini alfredo, steamed brocolli and floating island (that was a throw back) for final meal. She learned to sew on buttons, hem pants and skirts, tighten a drippy faucet and even how to change a light switch to a dimmer switch.

My friend and I almost gave our poor home-ec teacher a stroke in the 8th grade. The class was divided by semesters - one semester cooking, one sewing, one child care, etc. In sewing class, we had to make skirts. We were divided into groups, and my friend and I were always in the same group. One week, my friend was pinning her pattern and holding the pins in her mouth. She swallowed one. They called the school nurse to come to the Jr. High (they had one nurse for both the High and Jr. High Schools), then she went to the hospital. I don't know what they all did, but she said they gave her something to coat her esophagus and stomach to buffer the pin and it passed.

The NEXT week, I was zoning out (as I always did in that class) while I was running the sewing machine, and the needle went RIGHT THROUGH MY MIDDLE FINGER. Right through the nail and out the other end. There wasn't much blood, but you can imagine all those little girls screetching. They unscrewed the needle from the machine and I went down to the office where, again, they had to summon the school nurse to come to the Jr. High. She pulled the needle out, bandaged my finger, and shook her head when I told her I was from Mrs. _______'s third period home-ec class, and the girl who swallowed the pin last week was in my group.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
The biggest difference between the '60s and today is that back then Mom stayed home and raised kids.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
My friend and I almost gave our poor home-ec teacher a stroke in the 8th grade. The class was divided by semesters - one semester cooking, one sewing, one child care, etc. In sewing class, we had to make skirts. We were divided into groups, and my friend and I were always in the same group. One week, my friend was pinning her pattern and holding the pins in her mouth. She swallowed one. They called the school nurse to come to the Jr. High (they had one nurse for both the High and Jr. High Schools), then she went to the hospital. I don't know what they all did, but she said they gave her something to coat her esophagus and stomach to buffer the pin and it passed.
One of my boys did something similar. He was trying on a new dress shirt, pulling the pins out with his teeth. He came downstairs, white as a ghost, and told us he swallowed one. Off we went to the emergency room, where they x-rayed him from top to bottom, and told me when they found the pin they would have to do surgery. But, no pin showed on the x-ray. That night I found it stuck into his bedspread. We were regulars at the emergency room in those days, and every time we went in for something, they brought it up!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I cook. From scratch. Just the smell of most microwave food makes me nauseus and it cannot be good for you. I'm getting asked by more and more 20-40 -year olds for recipes. And even simple cooking instructions.
I'm with you! The microwave is good for reheating and for softening butter if you forgot to take it out ahead of time. I could live without one.

I cook from scratch, too. On another thread we had a discussion about the sins of using instant potatoes and canned frosting, lol.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Learning to cook is something they should teach kids today - not just popping a frozen dinner in the microwave. My daughter learned the importance of this when she became a vegan years ago and was apalled at the prices and ingredients of the prepared frozen "vegetarian" entrees. She's since learned to cook her own from scratch and saves quite a bit of money on her grocery bill. I make my own soups from scratch because I can control the sodium content (and they taste better) and I grow my own vegetables. You know what's in your food when you make it yourself.
Oh man! One of the most wonderful smells in a house is that of homemade soup simmering on the stove. You aren't kidding about the sodium in prepared soups.

My daughter is gluten intolerant and cooks her own food, too. She is 19 and I'm pretty impressed with some of the dinners she's come up with from scratch. She's been home from college and made some great walnut-cranberry gluten-free cookies the other night.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
On another thread we had a discussion about the sins of using instant potatoes and canned frosting, lol.
And I admitted to using "heat and eat" mashed potatoes. I have peeled bushels of potatoes. But when the arthritis in my hands made holding the peeler impossible (that was the card I played ) I decided I'd peeled my last potatoe. That's what gets put in my microwave. And yeah, to soften butter. And to heat up 1/2 can of food for the cats. (Spoiled little buggers.)

Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM

[quote=DewDropInn;17300729]And I admitted to using "heat and eat" mashed potatoes. I have peeled bushels of potatoes. But when the arthritis in my hands made holding the peeler impossible (that was the card I played ) I decided I'd peeled my last potatoe. That's what gets put in my microwave. And yeah, to soften butter. And to heat up 1/2 can of food for the cats. (Spoiled little buggers.)[/quote]

Hahaha, I can beat that. I just heated up the ground turkey that was in the fridge for two of them... you know, that I bought and cooked just for them.

But...but...but Mattie doesn't know she is a cat, and therefore will not eat cat food, so she normally eats tuna--and will only eat solid or chunk white--not "light" tuna--and too much tuna is not good for them, so I started giving her the ground turkey...then of course her sister Winkie had to get in on that action...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting