Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 10:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
My husband went the opposite after growing up in those conditions. Major purgers - I've been going through stuff and if it's not charity worthy it's going in the trash. I don't want to move stuff around that we haven't looked at in ages. Yesterday we were thinking we should have just done the hardwoods ourselves - as it would be done by now. On the other hand, not being rushed has given us the chance to do things like the fireplace - without being rushed and not worry about what it's doing to the carpet. But if this carpet wasn't horrible before.....good grief now.
That's why I'm looking so forward to getting our flooring in while hubby is off work!

The constant projects have ruined the carpeting. I'm sick of looking at it.

A clean house looks dirty when the floors are a mess. I'm going to feel like I moved into a new house!

You're going to love your new floors, coop!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:52 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've been living amongst remodeling for 18 years. I hated it during the first few years. Now I'm use to it.

There are boxes of things I packed away a decade ago that I haven't seen since. Not really sure where they are. Probably in the attic above the garage. I never go there.

Hubby always has a project in some stage of progress. He's has been way too busy with work for the past five years to accomplish much.

I'm excited tomorrow is his last day at work for a few months. We'll be able to get a lot done here!

Yesterday, during my madness, I fixed our bathroom sink cabinet all by myself! I'm not waiting anymore!
We are always midway through a project. We took 3 years to finish the basement, and are now 2 years into a major master bath remodel. It is tiring, but very satisfying when done.

The next house is going to be move-in ready with everything done!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
A clean house looks dirty when the floors are a mess. I'm going to feel like I moved into a new house!

You're going to love your new floors, coop!
I know! I hated this carpet 12 years ago when we moved in to this house. Light colored carpet. We have new furniture sitting covered in the garage just waiting for all this to be done - so I will feel like it's a new house too!

They haven't even called to schedule the upstairs yet which is frustrating. But the worst is downstairs at this point, so we are counting down to Wednesday.....

Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
But there will always be something!

Master bath will be the next thing in a few years. At some point the jack and jill bath and then I think there will be nothing left we haven't remodeled. So maybe we start all over again

I am glad I have a hubby that can do just about anything. The good side of growing up building houses!

Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
This is where having Amish blood comes in handy. My dad grew up with barn raisings. So when we put on our addition he drew up the plans and he and DH called in their buddies. DH did all the wiring. Everyone in the family pitched in. (I can do some mean stuccoing and drywalling.) Boom, boom, boom. That Amish mentality doesn't mess around.

The worst problems we had were getting the code inspectors out fast enough. (Well and the major earthquake that hit the morning after we had a new driveway poured. And then the aftershock that hit when we had guys up putting on the new roof. Those were not fun days. )

BTW Since we didn't go to church this morning the song of the day is "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
But there will always be something!

Master bath will be the next thing in a few years. At some point the jack and jill bath and then I think there will be nothing left we haven't remodeled. So maybe we start all over again

I am glad I have a hubby that can do just about anything. The good side of growing up building houses!
Master bath is our next project too! We need to tear out the walls because hubby didn't use cement board. The subfloor needs to be replaced too because he didn't use tile. In his defense, he built it 35 years ago when he was 20 years old. It looks fine but there are issues that need to be addressed. This results in a complete overhaul. I'm not looking forward to it, but I think hubby will be motivated to get it down in less than a month since it is our bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The worst problems we had were getting the code inspectors out fast enough. (
Code inspectors?

Old 06-12-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
In the early years, I use to whine to hubby, "PLEASE, let's just go buy a house that's DONE!"

I had the money once to buy one with cash too, but hubby liked our neighbors!

We do have great neighbors, but they're all starting to leave us for smaller, one story homes for later retirement years.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
rkb, just thought I'd let you know: A few years ago I gained a lot of weight because of a medication I had to take. After I stopped taking it all the weight came off. Took about 9 mos but it was a steady drop. Here's hoping the same thing happens for you! (Felt real good to put all the "fat" clothes in the Goodwill box.)
I'm hoping for that!

re sun: My grandfather died of malignant melanoma. DIED. My FIL just had a big chunk dug out of his cheek. Being tan is just not worth it, especially with so many artificial options out there.

re cat girl: I hope that's a joke. Where do you find these things??

Old 06-12-2011, 12:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
re sun: My grandfather died of malignant melanoma. DIED. My FIL just had a big chunk dug out of his cheek. Being tan is just not worth it, especially with so many artificial options out there.
DH is walking around today looking like somebody threw boiling water on his forehead and cheeks. The result of a cream he has to apply because of pre-cancerous skin lesions. He was one of those guys always looking for a great tan. A life spent on the beach. Out in the sun all of the time with his shirt off.

He's also had the pieces cut off his face and shoulders. I looked at him this morning and my heart sank I felt so sorry for him. That wonderful, handsome face all nicked up and spotty now.

Lying in the sun, now that we know the dangers, is just one of the STUPIDEST things you can do. Sorry about your grandfather, rkb.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
thanks Dew. He actually died when my mom was in her early 20's. He didn't live to see most of his grand children born (including me). My grandma outlived him by over 30 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting