Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Thank you! I was expected at those family things and scared to death the entire time that my little boy would break something. PLUS getting a lecture about 'how he had to learn'. It was NOT fun for me or him and I was a little resentful (yes, I was) when I saw how quickly everyone put things up out of reach when my little niece was born. Because screaming "NO" all the time is not much fun for anyone.

I wouldn't expect an aquaintance of mine to hide all her breakables if we are just stopping by - but I wouldn't expect a lecture either.

When we hosted family to-do's -the breakable valuables were put away. Everyone could relax - including me ~ not worrying about my 'good' things.
I agree. Don't rearrange your whole house/apartment/whatever, just move the breakables that are within reach of the visiting child(ren). I'm CF and I would gladly do that for my guests. I might even buy a gift for both of them and have little snacks out like cheese, crackers, grapes, and apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
I agree. Don't rearrange your whole house/apartment/whatever, just move the breakables that are within reach of the visiting child(ren). I'm CF and I would gladly do that for my guests. I might even buy a gift for both of them and have little snacks out like cheese, crackers, grapes, and apples.
You are a good hostess!!

Old 06-03-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You are a good hostess!!
Thanx! That's how I was taught at home.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:36 AM

18 posts, read 10,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedlings View Post
It isn't up to those with no children to keep their house always ready for children to be visiting. It's up to the parent to keep their children away from things that will break in other people's houses. My house isn't child-proof. When someone comes to visit, I expect them to bring something to occupy the child, and sufficiently watch them so they don't break anything. It's my home, not theirs.

IMO, those who are critical of those who decide to not have children are resentful, maybe on a subconscious level, that they are tied down and their life isn't their own anymore. Those who are truely happy in their role of being a mother don't really care who does and doesn't want kids. They will never admit that, but there is absolutely no other reason to be critical of those who don't have kids.

Besides, they act like martyrs saying parenting is the hardest job on the planet. It isn't if you do it right. Kids don't belong on pedestals. They aren't the kings and queens with the parents being their royal subjects.
Quote:
Resentful of what? And why be resentful?
Check the bolded above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is this from some CF manual or something? I cannot count the number of times I've seen this silly reasoning from CF people.
Why is it silly? Because you disagree, or because it's the truth and you know it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25
I'll respectfully disagree. Parenting is the hardest job I've EVER done. How do you quantify "doing it right" anyway?
What qualifies parenting as a "job"? Nothing. You don't work for your kids. Kids aren't supposed to control every aspect of their parents lives. It isn't supposed to be difficult and it shouldn't be. WAY too many parents jump through hoops for their kids, that's why we have so many problems with the young these days. They expect everybody to jump for them like their parents always have. Kids are NOT the center of the universe.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Check the bolded above.Why is it silly? Because you disagree, or because it's the truth and you know it? What qualifies parenting as a "job"? Nothing. You don't work for your kids. Kids aren't supposed to control every aspect of their parents lives. It isn't supposed to be difficult and it shouldn't be. WAY too many parents jump through hoops for their kids, that's why we have so many problems with the young these days. They expect everybody to jump for them like their parents always have. Kids are NOT the center of the universe.
Ohhhhhhh I see what you're saying. The critica of the CF are actually resenting the fact that they put their kids on a pedestal in their lives, while the CF don't have any to put on pedestals and focus on their careers, relationships, etc.

I get that. The critics won't admit it, but they secretly miss their freedom to go anywhere as they please.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Check the bolded above.Why is it silly? Because you disagree, or because it's the truth and you know it? What qualifies parenting as a "job"? Nothing. You don't work for your kids. Kids aren't supposed to control every aspect of their parents lives. It isn't supposed to be difficult and it shouldn't be. WAY too many parents jump through hoops for their kids, that's why we have so many problems with the young these days. They expect everybody to jump for them like their parents always have. Kids are NOT the center of the universe.
It's silly because it's a non-answer. You haven't a clue as to how I raise my children, yet you sit there and assume you know. Why do you believe raising children to reach their full potential, be productive, giving human beings is not difficult?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Ohhhhhhh I see what you're saying. The critica of the CF are actually resenting the fact that they put their kids on a pedestal in their lives, while the CF don't have any to put on pedestals and focus on their careers, relationships, etc.

I get that. The critics won't admit it, but they secretly miss their freedom to go anywhere as they please.
That is as pompously idiotic as parents saying CF people secretly know they want children.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:

It's not a secret. I'll admit I miss some freedoms. When I do get a chance to have some alone time I can tell you I appreciate it more than someone who can do whatever they want whenever they want. I don't know who is "talking down to you" but I've seen a lot more showboating about being "child free" lately than I have seen anyone talking down to you. Maybe we should be asking why the CF think they are superior to the parents.

BTW my best friend is 38 and child free.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 AM

18 posts, read 10,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It's silly because it's a non-answer. You haven't a clue as to how I raise my children, yet you sit there and assume you know. Why do you believe raising children to reach their full potential, be productive, giving human beings is not difficult?
Only in your head.

Mothering is a natural state. If you think it's so difficult, you're doing something wrong. I have never found parenting difficult.

Look at it this way; if YOU are working so hard for your children to reach their full potential and be productive, THEY aren't working so hard for themselves.

The more you work for your children, the less they work for themselves.

And personally, I don't care how you raise your kids.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Only in your head.

Mothering is a natural state. If you think it's so difficult, you're doing something wrong. I have never found parenting difficult.

Look at it this way; if YOU are working so hard for your children to reach their full potential and be productive, THEY aren't working so hard for themselves.

The more you work for your children, the less they work for themselves.

And personally, I don't care how you raise your kids.
How ridiculous and completely untrue.

My children work very hard for their own successes. It's like saying if a manager is working really hard, their employees are doing nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting