Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512ATX View Post
I didn't say that. read what I actually said. I said "they do the most good at home" and they do. you can use your degrees at home, write a book, open an accounting firm from home, cool...just stay your butt at home where you belong. what kinda sense does it make if I work on a construction crane and you worked driving the concrete truck? WHO is going to take care of the kids?
Well for one thing, they spend the vast majority of the day in SCHOOL. But otherwise, we BOTH do.

snip drivel.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM

616 posts, read 854,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hellooooo.....you do realize this is 2011, don't you? There are women working construction, and there are men who stay home with the kids. And guess what, it's their choice to do what works for their family. Funny how that works.
Hello!...I don't stay at home. I'm talking ME staying home.

and women in general are not dominating the construction industry so save that..lol

of course it's their choice, what else would it be??

LOOK, nobody is forcing women to stay at home. it's just the way things were set up years ago where Men being the bread winner and the wife locks down the home.

^Where's the problem with that because I don't see it? all I see is women acting catty and frustrated for having to play their position. that's it.

Again I say, If you women so upset about the roles, then get your lobbyists on the phone and lobby for Men to COME HOME and Women do our jobs...Then we'll really see how much lip-service you have.

Because trust me, I could use 5-10 years off just kicking it at home with the kids. and when my 10 years is up you bet I'll be complaining to keep my stay-at-home gig..lol...

TOUCHE!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,197,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo61397 View Post
FTR, I really resent that working mothers have this impression that those of us who stay home are uneducated country bumpkins. FWIW both candidates in the last Presidential Election were fighting for the "Soccer Mom" vote. So while we may not "contribute much to society," we are a powerful section of the population. And far as providing a smart successful female role model for my daughter, I think I can do that without working-- I'm a 4-time marathoner, I do fitness consulting pro-bono, I'm a soccer coach, I tutor autistic children, I'm an assistant religious education teacher and I'm a GWOT veteran. Just because I don't put in a 40 hour work week, doesn't mean I sit on my butt, eat bon-bons, shop on QVC, and watch my shows all day.
One would assume that, if you are without value because you do not draw a paycheck, women (and by extension, men) who are employed are likewise only valuable in direct proportion to the size of their income. (Wonder where trust fund babies fall into the mix?)

That sounds rather appallingly unevolved.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 AM

572 posts, read 1,299,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post

Not to mention that there is a difference between "fine", which I don't believe has been argued against, and "better".
Thank-you for pointing that out I didn't even see that...

There is much different environment now versus 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Statistics can't measure what? Stress level? It is actually very easy to measure stress level quantitatively.
Well, no. It's possible to measure reactions of organisms to applied stress by a number of means, some of which are able to have numbers affixed to them. But even physiological symptoms of stress are not identical from organism to organism. Blood pressure and pulse rate, for example, are notoriously variable.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM

616 posts, read 854,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Well for one thing, they spend the vast majority of the day in SCHOOL. But otherwise, we BOTH do.

snip drivel.

nonsense

Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
nonsense
What, precisely, is nonsense? That they spend their day in school? Yah actually they do. Every day. From 8 until 2:45.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
That does not remotely negate the findings of any of the studies given.

For the vast majority of families as shown clearly by the second study posted, the single most stressful factor for families is income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No, it's a proven fact that not enough income causes stress in households. This isn't something I decided. I know it would happen because it happens to others who try to live on too little income.

If working itself raises your stress level, then you either need a new job or to take a time management course. There is nothing about having a job, itself, that should raise the stress level in your home. Not being able to provide for your kids, however, has been shown to increase both stress and child abuse. We're seeing over double the child abuse cases due to the bad economy.
"Income" =/= "number of people earning the income". Nor, for that matter, can we assume that "enough" is a static term vis-a-vis family happiness. While one family may require a McMansion, twice-yearly vacations, and new his-n-hers Volvos to feel financially secure, another may require something entirely different (more or less, specifically).

Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Hello!...I don't stay at home. I'm talking ME staying home.

and women in general are not dominating the construction industry so save that..lol

of course it's their choice, what else would it be??

LOOK, nobody is forcing women to stay at home. it's just the way things were set up years ago where Men being the bread winner and the wife locks down the home.

^Where's the problem with that because I don't see it? all I see is women acting catty and frustrated for having to play their position. that's it.

Again I say, If you women so upset about the roles, then get your lobbyists on the phone and lobby for Men to COME HOME and Women do our jobs...Then we'll really see how much lip-service you have.

Because trust me, I could use 5-10 off just kicking it at home with the kids. and when my 10 years is up you bet I'll be complaining to keep my stay-at-home gig..lol...

TOUCHE!
What are you rambling on about? If you wish to stay home with the kids, then speak to your wife, don't come to a parenting board and bash women in general. Why would we need to lobby anyone? As far as I can tell most women I know make the choice for themselves and their family whether to work or stay home. It's already a family decision, what is to lobby? In some families the financial situation determines both must work, what's it to you? Are you setting up a fund so those moms can stay home? I'm sure they'd be ever so grateful.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
There are plenty of stay at home dads. What is your point? If you want to be a stay at home dad, then work it out in your family.

Last edited by JustJulia; 09-26-2011 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to deleted comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting