Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,127,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well clothes are intended for one gender or the other but there is nothing inherently wrong with a male wearing clothing intended for a female. Whether a dress or skirt is considered masculine or feminine is a social construct.

Right now my 12 year old son is wearing womens Under Armour running shoes. They look exactly like the mens version of the shoe except my son wears mens size 8 which can be difficult to find. Nobody at his school will ever know that the shoe was intended for women as it looks just like every other running shoe. We bought them because the store had them in the womens size but were out of the mens size. The store clerk suggested it. The shoes are blue running shoes. They don't look particularly girly.

I don't see anything wrong with him wearing those shoes that were intended for women. The shoes themselves do not have gender. Gender characteristics of an object are social constructs.

This^^^.

What a fun/funny thread!

It struck me, while reading some of the posts, that when it comes to clothing choices, this may actually be one of the few areas in which females in our society have more ~acceptable~ choices than the males. WIN for us.

I dressed my then-toddler daughter in Oshkosh overalls and Chuck Taylors. No one batted an eyelash.

If I had had a little boy and he wanted to run around in tutus and tiaras, I'm sure there would have been an uproar in the extended family.

It's kind of sad. Sad that kids have all these innocent and crystal clear dreams and visions of themselves, and adults have to come along and squash them.

I, personally, love Superhero costumes. I attended a Thanksgiving day party last year where one young guest did indeed come in a "Supergirl" outfit. It was charming.

If I ever own a private school, I may consider making "Superhero Costumes" the actual dress-code.

That would be cool.

(p.s. as I type this I am wearing a MEN's Patagonia fleece top , some super ugly pajama pants and my oh-so-chic bear slippers. Yeah, they really do have bears on them. And I'm over 12 years of age )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,556,183 times
Y'all have been had. The OP hasn't made any other posts, anywhere, at any time.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Y'all have been had. The OP hasn't made any other posts, anywhere, at any time.
meh. Still fun to discuss.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:46 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,795,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
meh. Still fun to discuss.
It truely is! I appreciate all insight and I've actually learned something. You could never go wrong hearing all sides of the spectrum.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,695,587 times
I do understand where SPECFRCE is coming from. He doesnt agree with crossdressing but we are all trying to say its just clothes. On the flip side, I dont believe in interracial dating. I get labelled as racist and closed minded. People say "oh its just skin" which is true. Without getting into a long discussion about it, its just something that i dont believe in because of my own upbringing and persoanl values/morals. I dont think ppl have the right to kindly bully me into changing my views simply because the rest of the world has accepted it. Same with clothing. Some people see nothing wrong with it and some people do. We cant force people to change. They may give in and they may not. However we cant label them as less of a person if they dont. We each have our own opinions and thats our right. Nobody is less or more of a person because of it.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I do understand where SPECFRCE is coming from. He doesnt agree with crossdressing but we are all trying to say its just clothes. On the flip side, I dont believe in interracial dating. I get labelled as racist and closed minded. People say "oh its just skin" which is true. Without getting into a long discussion about it, its just something that i dont believe in because of my own upbringing and persoanl values/morals. I dont think ppl have the right to kindly bully me into changing my views simply because the rest of the world has accepted it. Same with clothing. Some people see nothing wrong with it and some people do. We cant force people to change. They may give in and they may not. However we cant label them as less of a person if they dont. We each have our own opinions and thats our right. Nobody is less or more of a person because of it.
I keep typing a response to this then deleting it. I can't even find the words right now. Count me among those who call you closed minded

Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
Quote:
I do understand where SPECFRCE is coming from. He doesnt agree with crossdressing but we are all trying to say its just clothes. On the flip side, I dont believe in interracial dating.
And I don't believe in ignorance. Holy cow how I wish it did not exist.

Quote:
I get labelled as racist and closed minded.
Huh. Go figure.

Quote:
People say "oh its just skin" which is true. Without getting into a long discussion about it, its just something that i dont believe in because of my own upbringing and persoanl values/morals.
I would LOVE an explanation of your personal values/morals that would make sense of THAT.

(Disclaimer: I am in a mixed race family. I am Caucasian. My brother is African American. If I seem peckish, it might be because I am. Having lived in a place in which people will tell you they aren't racist out of one side of their mouths then deny you out of the other, I am awfully sensitive.)

Quote:
I dont think ppl have the right to kindly bully me into changing my views simply because the rest of the world has accepted it.
Given it is likely that reason won't work, what is left to a poor soul!

Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,237,514 times
Quote:
On the flip side, I dont believe in interracial dating. I get labelled as racist and closed minded.
Man, you would HATE Christmas dinner at my house.

(Funny thing, we'd probably be more welcoming to you than you would be to us.)

Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,695,587 times
Youre all proving my point. Theres lots of things in my family that we dont believe in. We dont do various things ourselves but if you want to then thats your right. However we dont do those things and we dont take kindly to being labelled because of it. All youre doing is judging.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,211,792 times
Quote:
Youre all proving my point
You had one? Was it other than people think you are a racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting