Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Did you even read my post? The nonsense to which I refer is your contention that diseases attacking children have never happened before. That is complete and total bunk. My parents and grandparents generation were terrified of polio, measles, and typhoid among many other diseases. My father nearly died from a childhood respiratory infection. He was given last rights, and my grandmother had started to make funeral arrangements, before he experienced a recovery that was nothing short of miraculous.

I am not arguing at all that we need to be vigilent and take active steps to prevent the spread of disease, not least of which is by keeping our kids at home when they are ill. And as someone who is on powerful immunosuppressant therapy to fight a chronic disease, believe me, it frustrates me beyond words to see obviously sick people in public. I am basically on self-imposed quarantine at this time of year! But to say that nothing like this has ever happened before? That's an egregious overstatement.
yes, I read, and I'm still saying to you, I didn't mean they didn't happen before....what I meant was, this never happened before in my lifetime!!!! I had measles, and it wasn't that bad, then, we had penacillian....I cannot speak for what happened before my time...and yanno, that is neither here nor there....

I am talking about now, Nothing like ebola and this present virus has happened to this extent in my lifetime before...we've had ebola outbreaks but, they were contained pretty quickly....

and so what, ok, if you want me to say you are right and I am wrong, ok....I should have written my statement better....but that isn't the point....and I'm glad you have taken precautions, then this whole thread does not pertain to you does it....

it is senseless to argue, the whole point of this thread is to try and wake some people up! One of the gals I work with gets so frustrated b/c the day care where she takes her children complains about how many parents bring their kids in sick....and it is very frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
My daughter is asthmatic and gets every lung thing going around. The fall is nuts every single year, it's just a mater of time before she goes down. No amount of hand washing and Singulair taking stops the inevitable viral infection from happening.

That said I've found the best thing to do is to train her in how to take care of herself. She knows the routine. Soup, rest, water, stay home for a day to knock it out early. We're on top of it as soon as it appears. If she gets a fever we go to the doctor but it usually doesn't get that far. Our routine has kept her out of the hospital. When she's not sick she just goes about her business as usual.

I don't want the girl to walk around afraid to have a life. Sick people are always going to go to school and work. That's just life. She has to learn to manage it.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:39 AM

and adding to this, do you know every single time my cousin or friends have their grand kids, they get sick? Do you know that little kids may not be sick but carry germs....

the purpose of this entire thread is to say, without going to the other extreme, just take a bit of extra care right now during flu season and be aware of others, that is all.....no one in here is trying to point fingers or hurt anyone's feelings, just asking some to be a little more considerate....

Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
My daughter is asthmatic and gets every lung thing going around. The fall is nuts every single year, it's just a mater of time before she goes down. No amount of hand washing and Singulair taking stops the inevitable viral infection from happening.

That said I've found the best thing to do is to train her in how to take care of herself. She knows the routine. Soup, rest, water, stay home for a day to knock it out early. We're on top of it as soon as it appears. If she gets a fever we go to the doctor but it usually doesn't get that far. Our routine has kept her out of the hospital. When she's not sick she just goes about her business as usual.

I don't want the girl to walk around afraid to have a life. Sick people are always going to go to school and work. That's just life. She has to learn to manage it.
your a very wise woman....

sorry your daughter has asthma....my GD does to...it's very hard at times....

Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, I read, and I'm still saying to you, I didn't mean they didn't happen before....what I meant was, this never happened before in my lifetime!!!!

<snip>

I am talking about now, Nothing like ebola and this present virus has happened to this extent in my lifetime before...we've had ebola outbreaks but, they were contained pretty quickly....
The polio vaccine was first disseminated in 1955, when you were an elementary schooler. Up to that point, polio was a widely feared disease, just like the one we are facing today. You were likely too young to remember, but it probably scared the heck out of your parents and their peers. Polio is classified as an enterovirus, same as D68, the virus currently making its rounds in the U.S. and causing such a panic among families with young children. One of the first hospitalized for severe respiratory distress involving Enterovirus D68 in this current outbreak lives less than a mile south of me.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The polio vaccine was first disseminated in 1955, when you were an elementary schooler. Up to that point, polio was a widely feared disease, just like the one we are facing today. You were likely too young to remember, but it probably scared the heck out of your parents and their peers. Polio is classified as an enterovirus, same as D68, the virus currently making its rounds in the U.S. and causing such a panic among families with young children. One of the first hospitalized for severe respiratory distress involving Enterovirus D68 in this current outbreak lives less than a mile south of me.
Wow, I didn't know that, thank you for the education on it....I'm wondering why they are not educating us on this? No wonder some children are ending up with paralysis? And yes, your right I probably don't remember b/c I was to young. What I do remember is, our parents and doctors, and hospitals, being so much more cautious with patients that had contagious diseases...

and while we're on the subject, I say again, remembering being in the hospital as a kid...what better a disinfectant then bleach? They used to come around to each room and bleach everything...they don't even wet mop any more. Our bathrooms at work are so disgusting every one hates to go in there....you would think, Americans would realize how filthy bathrooms are, and disinfect them? But they don't. I still use bleach...matter of fact, when we were kids and sick, my mom used to put a cap full of bleach in the dishwater to kill germs....we as a society are not that clean any longer....why? (Just thinking out loud)

When I was a child, every single time I was sick (and I got a lot of ear infections) we received a shot of Pennicilian....we have and are becoming immune to antibiotics...we've all taken so many. And they have been saying that this was going to happen for years....

Thank you much

Old 10-10-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
My daughter is asthmatic and gets every lung thing going around. The fall is nuts every single year, it's just a matter of time before she goes down. No amount of hand washing and Singulair taking stops the inevitable viral infection from happening.

I agree with you in every way except your last paragraph...."Sick people are always going to school and work". It shouldn't be that way, especially when a lot of us have the option of working from home.
You should have heard the girls the other day, a sick one came in with a fever and hacking up a lung, now everyone in her department is getting sick, that to me is just thoughtless! It really makes people angry cuz no one wants to get sick....

Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't know that, thank you for the education on it....I'm wondering why they are not educating us on this? No wonder some children are ending up with paralysis? And yes, your right I probably don't remember b/c I was to young. What I do remember is, our parents and doctors, and hospitals, being so much more cautious with patients that had contagious diseases...

and while we're on the subject, I say again, remembering being in the hospital as a kid...what better a disinfectant then bleach? They used to come around to each room and bleach everything...they don't even wet mop any more. Our bathrooms at work are so disgusting every one hates to go in there....you would think, Americans would realize how filthy bathrooms are, and disinfect them? But they don't. I still use bleach...matter of fact, when we were kids and sick, my mom used to put a cap full of bleach in the dishwater to kill germs....we as a society are not that clean any longer....why? (Just thinking out loud)

When I was a child, every single time I was sick (and I got a lot of ear infections) we received a shot of Pennicilian....we have and are becoming immune to antibiotics...we've all taken so many. And they have been saying that this was going to happen for years....

Thank you much
If anything, hospitals are more infection conscious these days, and bleach is not the only effective disinfectant.

Identifying And Using Hospital-Grade Disinfectants - How To Content For Cleaning Professionals. Tags: #CleanersDisinfectants

The methods used to clean a room while a patient is in it will differ from what is done in between patients. If you are in a room and there has been no problem with bodily fluids on the floor, it may not be wet mopped frequently. After you leave, it will be.

If your bathrooms at work are dirty, complain about it.

People do not become "immune" to antibiotics. Bacteria can and do become resistant to them.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If anything, hospitals are more infection conscious these days, and bleach is not the only effective disinfectant.

Identifying And Using Hospital-Grade Disinfectants - How To Content For Cleaning Professionals. Tags: #CleanersDisinfectants

The methods used to clean a room while a patient is in it will differ from what is done in between patients. If you are in a room and there has been no problem with bodily fluids on the floor, it may not be wet mopped frequently. After you leave, it will be.

If your bathrooms at work are dirty, complain about it.

People do not become "immune" to antibiotics. Bacteria can and do become resistant to them.

we have been complaining about them....believe me, they do nothing about it....

anyway, thank you for what you posted.

Here is what it said in your post...
Bleach is the ultimate disinfectant. In order for bleach to function properly as a disinfectant or sanitizer the surface MUST be precleaned prior to the application of bleach. (NO if, ands, or buts about it.) Disinfecting and sanitizing with bleach is a two-step process.

Bleach's shelf life is unstable. Depending on the age and storage conditions, the actual amount of active chlorine will vary. Sodium hypochlorite a.k.a. bleach will break down into salt and water. Never store bleach in warm areas. Because of this the following are true:

I had a girlfriend who used to raise dobies, this was years ago...her husband built her kennels with concrete floors....and also the kennel runs....every single day, she bleached them out, while she allowed the dog out to run....her kennel was **** and span.

Hospitals just don't clean like that any longer....

Old 10-10-2014, 12:55 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:

Hospitals just don't clean like that any longer....
You really are just expressing your opinion here. Hospitals are extremely infection conscious. Do you have a source for your opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting