Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
step children as their own?

What is your reasoning for your answer?
Of course they can!

Not all do, but many do

I just love kids. Some of my kids friends are like my own. I'd have no problem loving a step-child like my own if I were ever in that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmac22 View Post
I just got married to my wife a year ago and she has 3 wonderful girls 9 - 3 - 1, each w/ diff fathers who are involved w/ them on varrying levels. I find this very difficult, my wife of course loves all her girls dearly but I guess Im waiting for that aha moment! of wow I love these girls. My wife and I are about to start having our own bio kids in a few weeks or start working on making our own should I say, and I worry Im broken and wont feel anything for my own children given my inability to feel love for my step kids.
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - DO NOT get your wife pregnant.

You are not ready for parenthood.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 AM

652 posts, read 1,053,152 times
I think that step parents can love non-bio kids as their own.

However, I can say I know numerous situations where the relationship with the step children is contentious at best, and it seems to be magnified once the step parent goes on to have bio children of his/her own.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
I purposely did not read what others wrote because I did not want to be influenced or inhibited by the prevailing opinion.

I have not had good experiences with step-parents. My step mother is horrible. Friends of mine who had step-mothers, in particular, growing up were beaten and treated unfairly in contrast to this woman's real children.

I think step parenting seems to bring out the worst in people. It's a living reminder of your partners former or late partner. It's hard.

I have known a few OK step-dads. Step-moms or step grand moms? NO.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I know they can.
My husband is better/nicer/treats my daughter BETTER than her biological dad does.
This can happen but it seems to be the exception to the rule.

For some reason (and I may have my minor in Women's Studies revoked over this) MEN seem better at this task than do women.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,064 times
thanks for sharing

Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This can happen but it seems to be the exception to the rule.

For some reason (and I may have my minor in Women's Studies revoked over this) MEN seem better at this task than do women.
Interesting.

Do you have any theories as to why?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Interesting.

Do you have any theories as to why?
I'd venture to say that's more often than not, it's the mother who gets custody of the child. When a stepmom comes into play, there's often a lot of resentment which builds quite a bit of tension, and can make it difficult for all parties. This can inhibit how a step mother looks at a stepchild-- the child very weel can be seen as a connection to the past.

This of course is not the rule- BUT often times the biological father is not always heavily involved, some may not even have any relationships at all (as in my case), and most don't have custody, so when a step father comes into the picture, it's easier both on the child and the stepdad to build a bond.

Just a theory though-- when my bio-father still had joint custody, my stepmom and I got along fine. I also knew her prior to the divorce as she was my mom's best friend (yeah, I know ), so there was a relationship prior. She did not have her own bio kids at the time. Did she love me? No idea; but she treated me well.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Adoption is totally different. When you adopt that becomes YOUR child. But a step parent (unless they adopt) is thelpung raise someone else's child.

That is the difference.
Sorry, but that is not always true, one of my son's who I am not biologically connected to, is my son in and out, I am not raising someone elses child, I am raising my child.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:58 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times
I like to think that I wouldn't marry someone with children I didn't love. It doesn't seem fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting