Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times

Advertisements

I thought the whole question was designed to see how I would react to something involving my daughter. My wife and I have discussed various subjects like this in private and I thought this one should be discussed in private as well (if she really needed to have this conversation in the first place). This was a setup having this discussion (with me) and involving my daughter. She could have talked to her on her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I thought the whole question was designed to see how I would react to something involving my daughter. My wife and I have discussed various subjects like this in private and I thought this one should be discussed in private as well (if she really needed to have this conversation in the first place). This was a setup having this discussion (with me) and involving my daughter. She could have talked to her on her own.
Some families talk and discuss things all together. It's called conversation.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Some families talk and discuss things all together. It's called conversation.

Then I would politely ask when one wants to have a serious discussion about sensitive "hot button" topics such as this one shouldn't you at the very least give your spouse a heads up as to your desire to discuss said topic with your child present? This is the main issue here.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Then I would politely ask when one wants to have a serious discussion about sensitive "hot button" topics such as this one shouldn't you at the very least give your spouse a heads up as to your desire to discuss said topic with your child present? This is the main issue here.
It doesn't sound like a "serious conversation" to me. It sounds liike a thought promted by a situation on the show being watched. That happens when people pay attention to shows that are thought provoking.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:00 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
I guess I'll be dissenting voice. I know people who likes to put others on the spot and its sounds like that's what the OP's wife was doing. Ultimately there are some people who do not deal with hypotheticals and they're exactly the wrong kind people to be asked the "What-if" questions. Its easy to say well, when a woman asks a hypothetical question, don't blow it off-- but why do women get a pass? There's already too much of hearing what they want to hear, and not hear the words used situations. The wife should've known her husband's nature and ended the conversation there. If it was really important, have a discussion in private and encourage the father to speak to his daughter.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I guess I'll be dissenting voice. I know people who likes to put others on the spot and its sounds like that's what the OP's wife was doing. Ultimately there are some people who do not deal with hypotheticals and they're exactly the wrong kind people to be asked the "What-if" questions. Its easy to say well, when a woman asks a hypothetical question, don't blow it off-- but why do women get a pass? There's already too much of hearing what they want to hear, and not hear the words used situations. The wife should've known her husband's nature and ended the conversation there. If it was really important, have a discussion in private and encourage the father to speak to his daughter.

THANK YOU!!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It doesn't sound like a "serious conversation" to me. It sounds liike a thought promted by a situation on the show being watched. That happens when people pay attention to shows that are thought provoking.

If it wasn't a serious conversation then why be upset when I gave my answer??? Time has to now be spent on answering a question about a situation that NEVER HAPPENED.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
You posted a thread. Were we just supposed to read it and marvel at your greatness? That's not how forums work. I think you are just trying to be provocative as you know many people are going to have a problem with your statement "Your daughter made a choice in her life and do (sic) readily accept it?", but you knew that. From the get-go your intentions were less than honoroable.

When would be a good time to let your children know that you love them unconditionally? Should they make an appointment? I would have thought that was an ongoing type of discussion.
This.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
If it wasn't a serious conversation then why be upset when I gave my answer???
The topic was serious, the idea that you seem to have that "serious conversations" are planned and take place at a specific time is what is off. Also see posts 3, 5 etc upthread.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
Quote:
If you guys really have had parts of this conversation in private, it appears your wife shold have known how you would react and was hoping it would be different in front of your daughter. That is a recipe for disaster, in my opinion. I'm sure it wasn't planned by your wife, as the movie seems to have driven this question, but a better approach would have been, "You know honey, we would love you no matter what your situation, you know that, right?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting