Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,305 times

Advertisements

Maybe you are upset because the question made you uncomfortable, you felt your wife put you on the spot, and you don't want to think about your daughter being a lesbian because of your negative viewing on that. And now you're mad at yourself that you could not affirm that you would love your daughter regardless of her sexual orientation, thus proving her point for the most part, and now you have become the bad guy again, and so you start calling your wife names to put the blame on her because she put you in an uncomfortable position where you could not think your way out of affirming your unconditional love to your daughter regardless of what she does throughout life, while admitting that you do not condone homosexuality at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Relax. I agree with you. Our views are in perfect harmony on this point.

You and me, peas in a pod!

I know that's a bitter pill to swallow, but there it is.
Goose bumps WP (For the record, I think I agreed with you once before).

Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,689,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
What do you mean by "busted his chops"?

I have to agree with the other posters. This was way out of line. I'm all for manly boys, but manliness has little or nothing to do with sports. In a much more manly age than ours, just 100 years ago, very few men played sports of any kind.

This post is Exhibit A of how feminism has boxed masculinity into a corner.

What I mean by "busted his chops" was simply me giving him a hard way to go. Look I really didn't expect anyone here to understand, but I can't be the only father in the history of the world that has ever said anything to make their daughter's boyfriend feel a little uneasy. He told me about only having one kidney AFTER I made the remark about if he was interested in more "Manly" sports. I did follow up with what I thought was a legitimate question which was due to his condition would he be able to defend himself if faced with a physical confrontation. I asked this because my daughter has a black belt in Karate, and I wanted to know if she was going to be the one to have to protect him in a fight. And no I don't consider this a what if question as much as I want to know if the boy who dates my daughter can protect her if needed.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:04 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
What I mean by "busted his chops" was simply me giving him a hard way to go. Look I really didn't expect anyone here to understand, but I can't be the only father in the history of the world that has ever said anything to make their daughter's boyfriend feel a little uneasy.
If that's all it was, I'm totally OK with it. But it sounds like you really believe that not playing sports makes him less of man. If so, that's a mistake in my view.

Quote:
I did follow up with what I thought was a legitimate question which was due to his condition would he be able to defend himself if faced with a physical confrontation. I asked this because my daughter has a black belt in Karate, and I wanted to know if she was going to be the one to have to protect him in a fight. And no I don't consider this a what if question as much as I want to know if the boy who dates my daughter can protect her if needed.
You must dwell among the ruffians. Sorry, I sometimes forget how the other half lives. Maybe the kid should start packing some heat?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM

309 posts, read 516,071 times
The OP's use of the angry word is a direct result of the wife disrespecting his voice in the first place.

The wife had a set idea of what a situation should be, and pretended to ask a question while already decided no other answer will do except hers.

That is a glaring contempt for her spouse. Especially in front of her said unconditionally loved child, particularly on a touchy subject like this.

Everyone want to talk about "unconditional", where is her unconditional love for her husband?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We haven't heard a word from the wife.

The OP is putting the red in redneck. I don't think there is anything feminine about Jesse Owen, or any other track and field athlete. For a moment there WP, I thought you agreed there wasn't anything wrong with choosing to run instead of tackle. But now I'm not so sure.

Let me put this one to bed now. For the record I'm African American and no I don't think there is anything feminine about Jessie Owen, Al Joyner, Bob Beamon, Carl Lewis, Edwin Moses, or Ralph Metcalfe (he came in second to Jessie Owens in the 1936 Berlin Olympics). I was giving the young man a hard way to go. He did not even defend himself and wasn't even enough of a student in his chosen sport to respond with ANY of the names I just gave. He knew NOTHING about those who came before him and the individual struggles they went through so his single kidney having backside could one day compete and (possibly) represent this country in the Olympics, or heck just get a scholarship to attend college.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
The OP's use of the angry word is a direct result of the wife not respecting him in the first place.

The wife had a set idea of what a situation should be, and pretended to ask a question while already decided no other answer will do except hers.

That is a glaring disrespect for her spouse. Especially in front of her said unconditionally loved child, particularly on a touchy subject like this.

Everyone want to talk "unconditional", where is her unconditional love for her husband?
Once again, we haven't heard from the wife here, only the husband. Respect goes both ways. This isn't too touchy a subject matter for a 15 yr old. I still wonder what the wife's impetus was in bringing it up.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Once again, we haven't heard from the wife here, only the husband. Respect goes both ways. This isn't too touchy a subject matter for a 15 yr old. I still wonder what the wife's impetus was in bringing it up.
Well, it might be just me but I'd say the wife feels she has a lesbian daughter. /shrug

Old 01-29-2013, 06:29 PM

Now for an update. I had a talk with my daughter. To make a long story short she feels that I would be "disappointed" if she were gay. I asked her why she feels that way and she says its because "That's the way you are." I asked for a little clarification, and what I understood her to say was that everytime I came down on my son (featured in NUMEROUS other posts) she felt badly about it. According to her all I did was highlight the negative and I stopped her and asked her outright why would I do such a thing. After about a half dozen things she herself rattled off (including being fired by my wife from his last job) I told her he should be a lesson on what not to do. She then said she felt bad because I said she is more responsible than he is. I then asked her who would have to step up and take care of her if something happened to her mother or myself, and by her own admission she admitted her brother would probably not be able to. I told her I would do my best to not criticize him in front of her, and I told her I just wanted both her and her brother to do better for themselves, and no matter what she decides to do, or who she wants to be with I would not love her any less.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,350,420 times
Quote:
Now for an update. I had a talk with my daughter. To make a long story short she feels that I would be "disappointed" if she were gay. I asked her why she feels that way and she says its because "That's the way you are." I asked for a little clarification, and what I understood her to say was that everytime I came down on my son (featured in NUMEROUS other posts) she felt badly about it. According to her all I did was highlight the negative and I stopped her and asked her outright why would I do such a thing. After about a half dozen things she herself rattled off (including being fired by my wife from his last job) I told her he should be a lesson on what not to do. She then said she felt bad because I said she is more responsible than he is. I then asked her who would have to step up and take care of her if something happened to her mother or myself, and by her own admission she admitted her brother would probably not be able to. I told her I would do my best to not criticize him in front of her, and I told her I just wanted both her and her brother to do better for themselves, and no matter what she decides to do, or who she wants to be with I would not love her any less.
And no Lifetime movie was needed to prompt this important conversation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting