Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:21 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times

Advertisements

You seemed like a reasonably intelligent guy (in your original post) and seem to love your daughter, if so, why are you stuck on self-absorbed semantics and deflecting a serious issue with trite and demeaning comments about your wife? Further, instead of addressing an issue that appears to have caused a riff in your family, large or small, you go looking for a slap on the back on the PARENTING forum (??), after you boast that you criticized the boyfriend, both here and in real life, for taking up effeminate sports because of a congenital defect?

Surely your objective is pure and utter disfunction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 02:27 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I found that out because when I first met him I asked him what kind of sports he likes and he said track and field, and I replied what about a "Man's" sport like Football, Basketball, or Baseball and he explained he could not play those because of his condition. I busted his chops because that's what Dad's do not because I don't want him to get too friendly or comfortable with me.
What do you mean by "busted his chops"?

I have to agree with the other posters. This was way out of line. I'm all for manly boys, but manliness has little or nothing to do with sports. In a much more manly age than ours, just 100 years ago, very few men played sports of any kind.

This post is Exhibit A of how feminism has boxed masculinity into a corner.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
This post is Exhibit A of how feminism has boxed masculinity into a corner.
Haha, good one! Wait, you were joking, right?

Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Haha, good one! Wait, you were joking, right?
Totally serious. This is a feminized, co-ed world. Sports is virtually the only remaining mainstream activity where masculinity is socially acceptable.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Totally serious. This is a feminized, co-ed world. Sports is virtually the only remaining mainstream activity where masculinity is socially acceptable.
Hijacking ...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Hijacking ...
It's not hijacking if it helps explain:

a) the wife's rejection of the OP's normal, masculine discomfort with homosexuality; and

b) the OP's attitude towards masculinity, sports, and his daughter's boyfriend.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,802,305 times
Guess she wanted to affirm to her daughter that both parents will love her unconditionally without any stipulations and judgment no matter what she does in life. Instead of whining about a night ruined because you were content and your wife decided to use a movie to convey a thought, think about how you would feel if something like this happened.

I do understand what you are saying though, my mother would ALWAYS do that when we watched a movie with her. Never wanted to watch a movie with her again, but usually her conversation is, "I'll kill you if you even THINK you'd act this way or talk to me like that" (in regards to the movie)

Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I didn't recall asking the question. I was put on the spot and gave an honest answer. Of course I love my Daughter no matter what, but because that was not the lead statement some kind of crime seems to have been committed based on a "What if" question. Unconditional love is a different subject. The question (I heard) was "Your daughter made a choice in her life and do readily accept it?" My honest answer was not no, but it would be hard to accept. How does that make me the AH?
Well, probably the same way it makes your wife the one who ruined the evening. Silly...You knew what your wife was trying to do...Trying to reassure your daughter...Get with the program Dad. Children deserve to know that their parents will love them no matter what. And...if it sticks in your craw to tell your child that...Your wife deserves to know that, now..... Good luck on this.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
It's not hijacking if it helps explain:

a) the wife's rejection of the OP's normal, masculine discomfort with homosexuality; and

b) the OP's attitude towards masculinity, sports, and his daughter's boyfriend.
We haven't heard a word from the wife.

The OP is putting the red in redneck. I don't think there is anything feminine about Jesse Owen, or any other track and field athlete. For a moment there WP, I thought you agreed there wasn't anything wrong with choosing to run instead of tackle. But now I'm not so sure.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
For a moment there WP, I thought you agreed there wasn't anything wrong with choosing to run instead of tackle. But now I'm not so sure.
Relax. I agree with you. Our views are in perfect harmony on this point.

You and me, peas in a pod!

I know that's a bitter pill to swallow, but there it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting