Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times

Advertisements

Sorry you had so many negative responses! My 11 year old daughter has stolen food since age 3, but getting much worse lately. I have 2 other children ages 8 and 5 who do not do this. The 11 year old now has a weight problem - gained 25 lbs in last 10 months, 12 of which in last 2 months. I have plenty of food, no shortage at all, they eat often and well. I have a MS in human nutrition and I know the proper way to eat/feed my kids. The 11 year old has had the full barage of medical tests to rule out any medical cause -there is none. She has stolen foods like candy/chips that you would expect, but also things like bread, dry pasta, cheese, hot dogs etc. I know some of these are healthy foods, but eating 5 slices of white bread right after a meal is not. Cheese is good for you, but stealing 5 string cheeses while already full is not. She has been known to hide food in odd places, ie the toes of her footsie pajamas, or to lie about food, or to engage in an activity purely because of the foods associated with it, for instance she is motivated to attend sunday school because the church gives out cake etc after the service. None of my other children do any of this, and are of normal weight. She sees a psychiatrist, psychologist, and has had behavioral therapy, none of which has helped. I am at wits end. Shame on you other parents who responded that it is these parents' fault. These things are real and valid! Have some empathy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amusibus View Post
Sorry you had so many negative responses! My 11 year old daughter has stolen food since age 3, but getting much worse lately. I have 2 other children ages 8 and 5 who do not do this. The 11 year old now has a weight problem - gained 25 lbs in last 10 months, 12 of which in last 2 months. I have plenty of food, no shortage at all, they eat often and well. I have a MS in human nutrition and I know the proper way to eat/feed my kids. The 11 year old has had the full barage of medical tests to rule out any medical cause -there is none. She has stolen foods like candy/chips that you would expect, but also things like bread, dry pasta, cheese, hot dogs etc. I know some of these are healthy foods, but eating 5 slices of white bread right after a meal is not. Cheese is good for you, but stealing 5 string cheeses while already full is not. She has been known to hide food in odd places, ie the toes of her footsie pajamas, or to lie about food, or to engage in an activity purely because of the foods associated with it, for instance she is motivated to attend sunday school because the church gives out cake etc after the service. None of my other children do any of this, and are of normal weight. She sees a psychiatrist, psychologist, and has had behavioral therapy, none of which has helped. I am at wits end. Shame on you other parents who responded that it is these parents' fault. These things are real and valid! Have some empathy people.
This thread is a year old...hopefully the parents got their act together by now....and everyone had plenty of empathy. ..for the kids.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 PM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amusibus View Post
I'm not sorry he received negative responses. Shame on who? Shame on you for calling it "stealing".

You obviously didn't read the whole thread or you would know your situation is a bit different but your categorizing of your child's behavior is the same.

"These things are real"

Situations differ because your child may have issues doesn't make ever other issue the same as yours.

If you read the thread starters posts, all of them, you will see where it differs from your own experiences.

Quote:
I have a MS in human nutrition and I know the proper way to eat/feed my kids.
No charge but just a little insight from my experiences. I have a relative that also has a degree in nutrition that "knows how to feed her children", who has caused issues with her own child. Making food a issue all the time. In the end, the child developed problems when none existed before.

Just a thought, while you antagonize others opinions of the situation with the OP.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,574,595 times
I wonder if the problem is solved now. I hope OP and his wife got better paying jobs and are now comfortably living.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:33 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
There is a disease called Prader-Willi Syndrome where the child/person cannot get enough to eat, but this is rather rare and hard to believe all of your children have it. I think the bottom line is they are not getting enough to eat. We are not talking about you making great food, we are talking about quantity. Different people have different amounts of food that fills them. I think your children need to get more food at each meal and maybe even a healthy snack or two in-between.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:13 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Check for a disability. Sometimes it can be that simple.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
I wonder if the problem is solved now. I hope OP and his wife got better paying jobs and are now comfortably living.
Yeah, I'm not sure why this thread was resurrected. OP is still active on the forum, but hasn't posted in this thread for a long time.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:24 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
Apparently this young family still struggles, but I do hope they continue to do the best they can for their kids and wish them well with that.

Getting a job with two felonies on your record

Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Apparently this young family still struggles, but I do hope they continue to do the best they can for their kids and wish them well with that.

Getting a job with two felonies on your record
They've learned to put the kids out of their mind and have fun. The kids do, of course, help with the earned income credit, but they don't need extra food to do that job.

Surprising girlfriend with NYC vacation

Old 10-27-2014, 01:07 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They've learned to put the kids out of their mind and have fun. The kids do, of course, help with the earned income credit, but they don't need extra food to do that job.

Surprising girlfriend with NYC vacation
OMG.

If that poster is for real you just have to shake your head. I pray these kids in this thread are only fictional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting