Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM

550 posts, read 517,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I think it's sad when parents try to shelter their children --- keep them bound by strict curfews, monitor their internet activity, send them to private Christian schools, other stuff like that. What do they expect will happen when their kids are finally on their own to explore the world? All those repressed desires are going to come out. What happens is the young adults start partying to make up for all the socialization and sexual freedom they never had when they were younger. They say that the hardest drinking, most promiscuous sorority girls tend to be daughters of pastors.

Thoughts?

Asians do it.... Arabs do it...So do East Indian cultures.

It's perfectly fine to raise your child on strict values. At least that way you know that you have given them all the valuable information they need to survive and there will be no need to "explore". and definitely no repressed desires because they'' never miss what they never had.

This idea of "exploring" is what leads kids astray. and when that happens, the Parents are blamed anyway, so why not teach them strictly so they won't embarrass you later? or worse get themselves killed or thrown in prison trying to "explore"?

Only in American culture do Parents drop the ball and allow their kids to "explore".

Old 07-01-2014, 06:23 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryCole View Post
Two of my middle school daughters' friends had devout strict parents and slowly withered away. One is currently in rehab for underage drinking and the other one is pregnant at the age 15. I am a firm believer that extreme parenting tends to not produce the desired outcome. Kids must have at least a bit of freedom, not too much, nor none at all. Part of my job as a parent, as well as my hubby, is to ensure my daughter is self-sufficient by the time she leaves the nest. This involves a gradual shift of power, which comes with great responsibility. And I will probably be fired at for saying this, but you can't force your children to believe in your religion of choice. My daughter is a Christian because of her intrinsic motivation to believe. If she wants to believe in something else then that is her choice and her choice only.

And there are a lot of parents who were lax and still have same issues with their kids. Some kids are going to have issues no matter how well or bad that are raised.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
That's hardly ordinary or fine

Yes its normal for people by this age to have had multiple partners, multiple kids or abortions and sometimes multiple marriages, and a STD scare or two.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:27 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Generally "normal" people seek a mate in life. Unless her experience has turned her off men, of course, in which case that's also not "normal".

She's only 28. I guess you would consider her an old maid.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:01 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,502,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFormula View Post
Asians do it.... Arabs do it...So do East Indian cultures.

It's perfectly fine to raise your child on strict values. At least that way you know that you have given them all the valuable information they need to survive and there will be no need to "explore". and definitely no repressed desires because they'' never miss what they never had.

This idea of "exploring" is what leads kids astray. and when that happens, the Parents are blamed anyway, so why not teach them strictly so they won't embarrass you later? or worse get themselves killed or thrown in prison trying to "explore"?

Only in American culture do Parents drop the ball and allow their kids to "explore".
Let's make broad reaching racial stereotypes! This Asian family does not shelter our children and neither do many other families of "other than white races". If we want to make generalizations many immigrant families (of which we are not) put more responsibility on their children.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:47 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,163,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
She's only 28. I guess you would consider her an old maid.
Not at all. "Old maid" is derogatory and refers, more or less specifically, to marriage. There's absolutely nothing unusual about not being married at 28.

However, she's definitely behind the curve and would qualify as a late bloomer (assuming she ever "blooms"). Honestly, for whatever reason she's been deprived of normal human interaction and intimacy and that simply can't be good for her.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yes its normal for people by this age to have had multiple partners, multiple kids or abortions and sometimes multiple marriages, and a STD scare or two.
Oh, get off it. You can have a normal, "traditional" life with multiple partners (what's wrong with that? moreover, we're talking about someone who hasn't ever been kissed, never mind had sex, so "partners" is a bit early to talk about) and without all the unfortunate by-products of that. What you're describing (the emphasized) also isn't, for lack of better terms, "normal".

Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 AM
PJA

Quote:
Not at all. "Old maid" is derogatory and refers, more or less specifically, to marriage. There's absolutely nothing unusual about not being married at 28.

However, she's definitely behind the curve and would qualify as a late bloomer (assuming she ever "blooms"). Honestly, for whatever reason she's been deprived of normal human interaction and intimacy and that simply can't be good for her.
Normal by whose standards? Today's society? 50 years ago this wouldn't have been looked at as strange...but now all of a sudden its abnormal and unhealthy.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:59 AM
PJA

Quote:
Oh, get off it. You can have a normal, "traditional" life with multiple partners (what's wrong with that? moreover, we're talking about someone who hasn't ever been kissed, never mind had sex, so "partners" is a bit early to talk about) and without all the unfortunate by-products of that. What you're describing (the emphasized) also isn't, for lack of better terms, "normal".

And you can have a normal traditional life without having multiple partners as well.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Normal by whose standards? Today's society? 50 years ago this wouldn't have been looked at as strange...but now all of a sudden its abnormal and unhealthy.
We don't live 50 years ago, but it wasn't healthy then, either. And it's not "all of a sudden" - those same fifty years have done quite a bit to change things.

But you go on continuing to believe that innocence will save the world, far be it from me to try to stop you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting