Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:36 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,119,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWings View Post
I fortunately have a mother who is not intrusive regarding this. She has never ever questioned me about it, I don't know what she thinks on this and I personally don't care about it.

When she met one of a my brother's girlfriends for the first time, he was already 30.
My mother is the same. Then again, since she herself never married, it would seem odd to me for her to question me on it. She knows that I don't plan on marrying and having kids, and she says as long as I'm happy that's all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 10:01 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWings View Post
I fortunately have a mother who is not intrusive regarding this. She has never ever questioned me about it, I don't know what she thinks on this and I personally don't care about it.

When she met one of a my brother's girlfriends for the first time, he was already 30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
My mother is the same. Then again, since she herself never married, it would seem odd to me for her to question me on it. She knows that I don't plan on marrying and having kids, and she says as long as I'm happy that's all that matters.
My parents are similar to the ones described above. Fortunately my younger sister has done the marriage and childbirth thing so there will never be any pressure, not that there ever was as my parents have always respected my boundaries. My paternal grandmother was the only relative who ever gave me grief over my very limited dating and relationship history. She even pulled out the homosexual card before she died.

I have always been extremely independent so admittedly I am a little fearful over the conversion that would naturally come with a change from being single to being in a committed relationship.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
My mother never questioned me about it. She was never intrusive about my dating life.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:30 AM

6 posts, read 14,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe'sTavern View Post
In the end my mother knows me better than anyone so she knows it's highly advisable I'm not dating.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:52 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
I have 3 older kids (31, 28 and 27) The girls date 31 and 28, but are not interested in marriage or kids. My son doesn't, but he was diagnosed as bipolar 1 at age 23. He needs to get his meds right and his life in order. He's not concerned with dating. As for me, things are different from when I was younger. We all (or most) wanted marriage and kids. I want my kids to be happy, that's all. If they don't want it and they're happy, then I'm happy.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:45 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
Why do you refuse to date? How many dates have you been on?
I'm just disillusioned with all the rules of dating and rejection. I've been on like 10 dates total.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:53 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
My mom calls my sister selfish for not wanting kids. My sister and her husband are married and have no plans to have children. They're happy being child-free. My mom has expressed her disappointment to her.

On the other hand, I've never been in a relationship and have no desire to have children. My mom doesn't seem to care that I've made those decisions

Old 03-02-2015, 01:49 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hey, it's your life. I'd be sad for that child, for my wife and I have a great marriage. I'd hate for them to miss out on the kind of happiness we have. But it's his or her life to live.
I know how you feel. I feel sad that my parents missed out on the kind of happiness I have from traveling.

If I get married and have kids - great! But that has never been, nor will ever be my number 1 priority. Or number 2, 3, 4 or even 5. That has nothing to do with my parents who have been married for almost 35 years and together for more than 40.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
I'd be sad if my child wasn't interested in finding a partner, and I would be concerned that the lack of interest might be from depression or prior bad experiences rather than a true lack of interest like asexualism. But her choice is her choice, and so long as she has friends I won't be worried.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 AM

141 posts, read 160,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
My own daughter refused all male attention all the way through high school and into uni.

She said she had better things to do.

I think its AWESOME, I didn't have to worry about the stupid things her friends did, nor did she. She would come and tell me about all the teenage dramas and we would have a good laugh.

There were boys around, though, one in particular who I wonder about even now. I think hes in love with her, she's all...meh.....
Why is it awesome?

I know someone who turns 34 this year and never had a boyfriend. Her parents thought it was awesome as well that she didn't date in her early 20s. But dating and relationship is something one learns, just like anything else in life.

"better things to do" is code word for "insecure". You can take my word to the bank on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting