Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times

Advertisements

Here's a thought: has she had her first "woman" exam yet? i.e. pap smear etc? If not, schedule that for her and tell her a little about it and maybe she would talk to her doctor about things she might not to you. I think I would believe her, though, if she insists she is not sexually active, until you had some real reason not to. So I would not insist she go on BC just because she has a boyfriend. You've let her know how you would help her should she need it and she knows what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 06:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Here's a thought: has she had her first "woman" exam yet? i.e. pap smear etc? If not, schedule that for her and tell her a little about it and maybe she would talk to her doctor about things she might not to you. I think I would believe her, though, if she insists she is not sexually active, until you had some real reason not to. So I would not insist she go on BC just because she has a boyfriend. You've let her know how you would help her should she need it and she knows what to do.
All professional groups recommend the first pap at 21, regardless of sexual activity.
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/cervical/pdf/guidelines.pdf

Old 01-19-2016, 06:45 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Are you sure? I was under the impression that minors have some rights in regards to medical decisions once they are older, especially sexual health decisions.
In most states minors of age (it varies from state to state, some as low as 11) have a right to make their own reproductive health choices. Besides that the majority of doctors would not proscribe birth control for a girl who states she does not want to be on it. Now likely he could browbeat her into telling the doctor she wants it but no, it is neither moral nor legal.

To the father who thinks he has the right to control his daughters body. Good luck with that.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:24 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
In most states minors of age (it varies from state to state, some as low as 11) have a right to make their own reproductive health choices. Besides that the majority of doctors would not proscribe birth control for a girl who states she does not want to be on it. Now likely he could browbeat her into telling the doctor she wants it but no, it is neither moral nor legal.

To the father who thinks he has the right to control his daughters body. Good luck with that.
If her mother and I decided she had to be on some form of birth control, why would we present it as a question or choice? She'd learn early on that it's just what people do until they are ready to have children of their own. If I thought I should or could control her body, and what she or anybody else did with it and to it, there'd be no need for birth control to begin with.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If her mother and I decided she had to be on some form of birth control, why would we present it as a question or choice? She'd learn early on that it's just what people do until they are ready to have children of their own. If I thought I should or could control her body, and what she or anybody else did with it and to it, there'd be no need for birth control to begin with.
You are actually saying you are going to expect a nearly grown woman to not even question what is being done to her body? To have zero say in the decision making process? And how does that remotely teach her anything?

Old 01-19-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You are actually saying you are going to expect a nearly grown woman to not even question what is being done to her body? To have zero say in the decision making process? And how does that remotely teach her anything?
I hope she does question it. I'll be glad to go over the science of it with her. Might learn a few things myself. And she won't be nearly grown, she'll be what? 13 or so? If it's in a pill form we could just give it to her with her asthma medicine I suppose. Part of the routine. This one keeps you breathing well, this one keeps you childless for one more month. Or if it's a shot she has to take from time to time why would it be any different than taking her to get an allergy shot or something? Things are only a big deal if you make them in to a big deal. It'll never be presented as some big coming of age thing or anything.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:46 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Hmmm. Apparently when you call the OB/GYN's office to say you'd like to bring your 17-year-old daughter in for BC, it's considered a priority.

They gave her an appointment for tomorrow.
Good luck! I hope she comes out feeling empowered and in control.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:46 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I imagine the doctor will present it to her as a question or a choice.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
All professional groups recommend the first pap at 21, regardless of sexual activity.
http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/cervical/pdf/guidelines.pdf
They don't give pap smears until 30 now here When I first moved here it was every two years once you became sexually active and now its been pushed back to 30 unless you have abnormal bleeding or pains.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I imagine the doctor will present it to her as a question or a choice.

I doubt it, or at least not in the way you imagine. These "choice" issues are centered more around letting kids get birth control behind their parents' back. The issue isn't framed in a way to deal with families where birth control is handled as a given. Not to mention, since she will be a minor I will be able to discuss these things with her doctor before hand, and approach the issue with tact. I'm not worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting