Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 05:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
Medicine cabinets and most pantry doors are made of a solid material. By your logic, looking at glass door cabinets is rude as well as what is in a curio cabinet. I am not advocating peering through bedroom windows or any window that has a covering over it, but clear glass panels on either side of the main entry door is almost an invitation to look through them. Trying to look past curtains or taking extra effort to see into a home is rude. If you approach a home with glass panels, do you focus solely on the door as to not give into temptation?

There are several houses in my neighborhood that have a secondary glass door in addition to the main wooden one. If one of my neighbors has the wood door open and the glass door closed, who's issue is it that I can see them walking around the house naked? Am I being rude for looking in or are they at fault because they did nothing to cover the glass? Granted, it is the main entry to the house, but what is the difference between 36 inches of glass and 4? Both are not covered. Both allow clear lines of sight.
That's the best excuse I've seen yet for snooping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You've never knocked on someone's door or rung their doorbell and then looked through the window in or right next to the door to see if they were coming? I sure have, and do.
I find it interesting that of that whole post of mine, which was fairly short, you pick this issue to disagree. But I'll answer. I've been a visiting nurse. I've probably knocked on more doors/rung more doorbells than anyone on this thread. If a patient/family member didn't answer after I announced myself that way, I'd knock/ring again. In that case, I might look inside to try to get their attention. If I didn't have an appt. after two attempts, I'd probably just push my business card under the door and leave. I have decent peripheral vision. If someone was right in front of the glass panels, I'd probably see them w/o trying to. I would not, however, try to peer into the house.

What about the part about not needing any reason to not answer the door, even to the police? What about the part about people not always getting the very large hint that you're not wanting to answer your door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
In my town at holloween folks who dont want to answer door just put a rope across front steps and attach a sign that says no Candy. Some even put Cones up.

And your precious "snowflake" aunt should grow up and realize the world does not revolve around her
What part of being a woman living alone, with small kids at one point in time, and later as an elderly woman, don't you get? I'm going to presume you're male. Males tend to have far fewer concerns about their personal safety than women do. Maybe she didn't want to answer the door to a potential intruder, dressed up like Mickey Mouse or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 05:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
"Sorry, I can't come to the door" sounds good to me.

That sounds just right!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:45 PM

19,427 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That sounds just right!
(That was me that repped you. I accidentally sent it before I was ready - not sure if I signed it.)

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 01-27-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have been thinking about what I would say if a stranger ran my doorbell, peeked in, and for whatever reason I did not or could not get up from the couch. I would not know why the girl & man were ringing the doorbell. They could be looking for a lost pet, they could of had car trouble, they could be at the wrong house, or any number of things, so why would I call out "no, thank you" ?

I really can't think of something better to say than "go away" except "go away, please" or "I can't get up, so please, go away."
"Go away" sounds rude. Around here, scouts are required to wear their uniforms when fundraising.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
My thoughts are:

1. My impression is the whole point of the cookie-selling is that it's something the child should be doing alone, and you shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Are you kidding me?? I'll post this again. This was 1973. After she was killed it was DRILLED into every Girl Scout's head not to go anywhere alone.

Joan Angela D'Alessandro Memorial Foundation

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-27-2016 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Overkill

Old 01-27-2016, 06:25 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Just because you ring a doorbell, doesn't mean a person wants to, or is required to, open the door, any more than someone is required to answer the phone, just because you decide to call them. I would not let my child sell anything door to door, unless I lived in a close knit neighborhood where I knew the neighbors.

I understand that selling Girl Scout cookies is supposed to be an entrepreneurial exercise for the girls, but seriously, those days are gone the way of the Fuller Brush Man and the milk man, and the Girl Scouts need to review the process.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just because you ring a doorbell, doesn't mean a person wants to, or is required to, open the door, any more than someone is required to answer the phone, just because you decide to call them. I would not let my child sell anything door to door, unless I lived in a close knit neighborhood where I knew the neighbors.

I understand that selling Girl Scout cookies is supposed to be an entrepreneurial exercise for the girls, but seriously, those days are gone the way of the Fuller Brush Man and the milk man, and the Girl Scouts need to review the process.
Wow, I remember the Fuller Brush Man coming to the house.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Daughter is some precious sensitive snowflake that this really bothered her?

I love girl scouts (despite their chemical-ridden cookies), but door to door needs to end. Immediately. I think most of us are tired of being cold-called...but accosted in your own home...it gets tiring and intrusive.

Most of the kids in our area set up outside the grocery stores and do gangbusters business.
Girl Scout cookies, while not a great snack, do not have lots of chemicals.

Girl Scout Cookies Nutritional Facts for 2014-2015

Quote:
Our cookies have zero grams trans fat per serving.
Our cookies are made with 100% real cocoa.
We use only pure peppermint oil in our best-selling Thin Mints®.
Our cookies have no preservatives.
Our cookies have no artificial colors.
In addition, all Girl Scout Cookies are kosher.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
"Go away" sounds rude. Around here, scouts are required to wear their uniforms when fundraising.
Soliticing is rude, especially if you do not know the person who's house you are going to.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:28 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
I was a girl scout and sold lots of cookies to strangers door to door. I don't remember any rudeness at all by our customers. It was a great experience for us girls and helped our troop, but people were much friendlier and polite to one another then than now. If there were parents or scout leaders around, they did not go up to the door with us, but stayed back on the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting