Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 07:36 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times

Advertisements

If you can afford it and girlfriend is willing, get an appointment with a developmental pediatrician or child psychiatrist to diagnose. This is not normal behavior and it does NOT necessarily come from her bad parenting. If he has been abused, the acting out is probably coming from this and with the exposing himself, etc, I would put my money on abuse.

If he does not get professional help, he is headed for a lifetime of problems - possibly including jail time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 07:36 AM

1,504 posts, read 851,404 times
Run before you get drawn into the vortex.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:01 AM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
I read this thread last night before bed and woke up thinking about this boy.

OP sounds like a good man and could possibly be this child's only hope. OP, I don't think you can "fix" him but I do think you can strongly pressure and encourage your girlfriend to seek professional psychological help for her son. He needs a standing weekly or twice weekly appointments with a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Any professional who just throws their hands up and doesn't provide your girlfriend with help and insight needs to be passed on for another.

I believe strongly it would quickly come to light he is being abused at his dad's or at the very least being allowed to watch violent television. At that point she needs to likely petition for full custody and allow supervised visits with the dad only.

In the off chance this isn't what's going on, a psychologist can help determine what is.

Is cost a concern? Does the child have insurance?

This boy is crying out for help. He deserves a chance in life. OP, if you decide you want to leave the relationship I implore you to report the situation to CPS and tell them your concerns. Keep saying something. Don't do nothing. This boy is only seven and he is hurting.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:09 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,814,509 times
I would leave before the boy told someone a lie that you cannot get out of. I think people got lucky that the touching his "peanut" story didn't go further than it did. Its just a matter of time before something big happens.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:50 AM

13 posts, read 16,693 times
Thanks for all the advice and kind words. I've recently developed stomach ulcers and a few other health issues. Its literally killing me.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:04 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I just dont see this issue getting better for you. You have a right to have a peaceful life, and you have put yourself into a life of misery, and maybe danger. This kid could easily go from bad to worse.

Its big of you to sign up to help him, but Im not sure its the best thing for you. I think long term its not a good situation for you.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:16 AM

Cps is involved and has been since day one. All the psychologist said was he was developmentally delayed and posibly ptsd. He sees an occupational therapist for weak hand/finger strength. Which is bull because I kno for a fact he is extremely lazy. Its a struggle to get him to put his socks on or do anything he doesn't feel like doing. When he was in public school the teachers called numerous times because his father wouldn't wash him or get him in the shower and would smell like bum on his days. We've picked him up from his father's mothers house at his bus stop and has smelt so bad I gagged. Cps is a joke and a dangerously flawed system.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 AM

924 posts, read 752,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I would leave before the boy told someone a lie that you cannot get out of. I think people got lucky that the touching his "peanut" story didn't go further than it did. Its just a matter of time before something big happens.
I very much agree with this....my daughter went through this with one of her younger cousins, and let's just say it was an ugly situation.....it's really scary whens someone in the legal system is of the mindset that "children NEVER lie".

*not trying to get this thread off-topic, this was just my experience, and I would not want anyone else to go through it

Old 03-31-2016, 09:23 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Leave this situation before it overtakes you. Already it is making you sick and it won't get better.

You have no control over the this kid's life. You have no legal standing in his life. His parents have no intention of helping him in any way. It's only going to get worse, much worse, not better.

Especially worrisome are the attacks on pets/ animals. This is often a precursor to a murderer, even a serial killer. This kid's problems go much deeper than just an unhappy kid.

Step back and leave. Protect yourself. The boy needs help, lots of it, probably in a residential treatment center. But it's not going to happen. Instead he will get worse and worse and lash out at everyone around him. When he gets to his teens, he will be very dangerous and heading toward confinement.

You don't need being involved in this mess. You're a good guy for caring and trying to help. You also have to recognize when it just isn't going to work out.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM

We don't have enough for an attorney for a custody battle unfortunately. My girlfriend has a very hard time keeping jobs because of all the appointments, pick ups drop offs, and everything else we do. I've been telling her to get disability for her and her son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting