Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:33 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I've had as many as 3 dogs at a time. Still less to board them than to travel with an entire family. And that's not including the time taken off from work for them.
Why would boarding two dogs for a week and then driving down, and her then paying for gas, be less than throwing your family in the car and driving a measly 300 miles, even with with the family, if you don't need hotels? It seems like the same either way, with the only difference being the boarding.

I have two big dogs and to board them both for a week costs an arm and a leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 01:29 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I've had as many as 3 dogs at a time. Still less to board them than to travel with an entire family. And that's not including the time taken off from work for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Why would boarding two dogs for a week and then driving down, and her then paying for gas, be less than throwing your family in the car and driving a measly 300 miles, even with with the family, if you don't need hotels? It seems like the same either way, with the only difference being the boarding.

I have two big dogs and to board them both for a week costs an arm and a leg.
I believe that CarnivalGal's post was made before she (we) knew that it was only a 300 mile drive. I know that when we traveled to visit my husband's parents it would cost us over $2,000 in airplane tickets, renting a car, parking fees at the airport, lost wages etc. for a week even though we stayed at their house & did not need a hotel. At that time boarding two dogs would have been about $200 a week (I know that it is a lot more now).

The fact that it is only a six hour drive vs. a transcontinental plane trip away makes a huge difference in the situation.

I'm still wondering why the son hasn't driven with his family to visit mom/dad/grandparents in two years, if it is only a six hour car ride. I suspect that there is a lot more to this story. I knew a couple that used to drive 600 miles round trip every single weekend for several years to help provide care to elderly parents (they provided respite to a sibling that lived in the same town as the parents).

PS. Oops, I reread the first post It says that the OP has not "gone down" in two years, I had thought that she had not seen her son & grandchildren in two years. My mistake.

Last edited by germaine2626; 07-19-2016 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: added PS.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:18 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm still wondering why the son hasn't driven with his family to visit mom/dad/grandparents in two years, if it is only a six hour car ride. I suspect that there is a lot more to this story. I knew a couple that used to drive 600 miles round trip every single weekend for several years to help provide care to elderly parents (they provided respite to a sibling that lived in the same town as the parents).

PS. Oops, I reread the first post It says that the OP has not "gone down" in two years, I had thought that she had not seen her son & grandchildren in two years. My mistake.
Yeah, the OP has (maybe purposely?) not mentioned how recently or frequently the son has been up to visit her.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:20 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
They can be boarded, or left with a friend/relative, or a pet sitter can come in to take care of them.
You don't become housebound just because you have pets!
We once boarded our dogs when we traveled. The dogs came out of there not doing well at all. Fortunately our son will come feed and walk our dogs now. We do the same when he and his family go away.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:30 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Just thought I would come back on and let those of you who wanted to know . My son has never been up here .

Old 07-20-2016, 07:31 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Just thought I would come back on and let those of you who wanted to know . My son has never been up here .
Phonelady61, how many children does he have and what age are they?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
We once boarded our dogs when we traveled. The dogs came out of there not doing well at all. Fortunately our son will come feed and walk our dogs now. We do the same when he and his family go away.
True and most kennels do not have humans there overnight. A kennel close to me a few years ago had an overnight fire, many pets were boarding at the time as it was over the holidays, needless to say many pets didn't make it.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:43 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Phonelady61, how many children does he have and what age are they?
3, and they are 6 , 5, and 3 ...

Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
3, and they are 6 , 5, and 3 ...
Old enough to travel for 6 hours, especially with all the gadgets they have today to keep them amused in the car.
My 20 month old grandson did fine for a 10 hour car trip, granted breaks were taken.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:21 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Old enough to travel for 6 hours, especially with all the gadgets they have today to keep them amused in the car.
My 20 month old grandson did fine for a 10 hour car trip, granted breaks were taken.
FWIW, at least in our experience, our 2 kids were GREAT travelers from birth to about 24 months...then they became handfuls until they both got 6+.

Also, FWIW, we held off on gadgets for a long time so that's not always an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting