Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:21 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times

Advertisements

No, never. Not even for a second.

However, I wouldn't judge anyone who felt differently and I'm a big believer in thoughts are just thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 01:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Agree with this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
No, never. Not even for a second.

However, I wouldn't judge anyone who felt differently and I'm a big believer in thoughts are just thoughts
Came from a traditional 2 parent family. 4 siblings. All married with kids of their own now all grown.

I was the only one who thought marriage and family were not going to happen for me. I worked all the time; still do; back in the old days, I had to support my parents.

Well, within a 2 year period, I was laid off from a job that was supposed to be a guaranteed promotion, started a business (from experience on job #2), reconnected with a guy I knew a couple of years before, got engaged, married, had baby 9 months later almost to the day...I look back - none of this was planned and went so fast.

I look back and think - really, those were some of the best days of my life!

I loved having my children. There would have been one in the middle (miscarried at 5 months).
I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Two best things I ever did. Daughter and son.

I've learned more things from them than I did from life itself.

But, I'm also a believer in the fact that each person can make their own decision.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:04 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
My answer was yes and no.... I love my children.... But it would be dishonest to say I have no regrets.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/46365271-post143.html

From a similar thread

http://www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...ildren-15.html

Old 11-11-2018, 01:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
Things would be very different if my husband and I didn't have our daughter. Mostly financial, since kids cost a lot of money. Not to mention that we stayed in a high COL so our daughter could grow up near extended family. Our career paths would have had more options as well.

Never regretted it, though.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:14 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
The teenage years were very rough with our kids, especially for one of them. Yet with a lot of hard work on all out parts, this kid managed to make it through to young adulthood pretty much healthy and sane. So did his sibling. Yes, we would have had a lot more money and a financially easier life without kids, but we would have had it for what purpose?

To me, nothing compares with the plain amazement of watching squirming helpless babies ultimately turn into interesting people with their own thoughts, ambitions, desires, and behaviors. That they do, is to my way of thinking, one of the miracles of the world that only parents can fully appreciate.

I wouldn't trade the whole experience for anything.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:18 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Anyone regret Parenthood?

My parents were both very disappointed with me at an early age, and in the case of my father this was made eminently and explicitly clear when I was in the sixth grade. My mother's increasing dissatisfaction showed only a year or two later, and became waves of ever-increasing strength for the next forty years. (A sister pre-deceased me as a 14 month old infant.)

This answer may seem somewhat off point, but I have to ask what is the difference between regretting because you could not be an Antarctic explorer as you chose parenthood, and regretting parenthood because you did not like the merchandise you received.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:31 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
I chose not to be a mother/parent, no regrets at all.

Just talked to a guy doing work in our home and his daughter had a drug problem and he spent every dime they had putting her thru rehab a couple times so he'll never get to retire even though his work is very physical and he has trouble doing it (but very good at it). She's clean now but this area has lots of ways to fall back into drugs. He was not gung-ho on being a parent.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:16 PM

147 posts, read 90,969 times
Regrets being a parent? No.
My life would not be complete without having such pleasure to love and parent every single day..
That said, I have not always felt that way. In Middle School, my son gave me so much grief, I thought I was going to lose it. Now I love and adore him, he is matures more and more every day.

Some children are easier to parent that others. Some are an absolute nightmare to parent. Trust me, I know A LOT of kids, I work in a school.

Most of them are a pleasure to teach, speak to, and generally just be around them is a delight. Others, I wouldn't want to be their parent if I got offered a million dollars. Some are fresh, some are violent, some are manipulative and vindictive, mean, you name it. Basically, all the bad traits you see in adults you can see when they are in preschool. I am not kidding. A toned down version, but the bad traits are already there, ready to grow into something worse every day. The luckier ones, get classified and hopefully they can be taught the right skills but I hear there are others, the more severe cases, that never get better.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:21 PM

147 posts, read 90,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I chose not to be a mother/parent, no regrets at all.

Just talked to a guy doing work in our home and his daughter had a drug problem and he spent every dime they had putting her thru rehab a couple times so he'll never get to retire even though his work is very physical and he has trouble doing it (but very good at it). She's clean now but this area has lots of ways to fall back into drugs. He was not gung-ho on being a parent.
A child with a drug problem is an absolute nightmare. You can't describe what their life is like. It's not a life,basically. You worry for their life every single day.

That said, most parents live proud of their children.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I have zero regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting