Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:46 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Ok. This baffles me out of my gourd. lol....

It is unhealthy for everyone all-around....what kind of marriage survives this behavior. I know a few people that do this and I want to strangle them lol! I have twins and couldn't imagine them sleeping with us in the same room, let alone same bed for the last 3 years!! NO WAY!!!!and others think it's OK!

Anyone else?
Why do people get so ticked about this? If you don't like it ... don't do it. If your friends are doing it and it works for their family - good for them. Mind your business and don't tell others how to live their life. Seems pretty simple to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,485,615 times
We did not co-sleep with our children but that was just our choice. He developed good sleeping habits with them early on and never had problems. I have seen tv shows where practically adult children are still sleeping in the same bed or bedroom as their parents. Now that gets pretty creepy as far as I am concerned.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:30 PM

266 posts, read 867,041 times
So my 10 month old son slept in his crib until about 9 months. At 6months old he started experience separation anxiety. The only way he would go to sleep was if he was actually laying on us! That was a tough time lol. At the age of 8 month he would not sleep ain his crib. For about 5 nights i tried to put him in his crib at night and it did not fly. I even tried to put him in after he was sleeping but he would wake right up! i would check on him every 10 mins up to a whole hour and he would not give up crying. Finally after the 5 days i needed sleep and so did he. So one night he fell asleep in my bed with me and I let it slide because i wanted my sanity back ( i need my sleep!). Well for the past month he has been sleeping in our bed. Im getting more sleep and hes getting more sleep. I always said i would never put him in out bed but here i am! For right now that is how its going to stay. Not only does he sleep better but he is definitely less irritable now. I had a lot of difficulty with him wanting to eat finger foods even though he was pulling himself up crawling and had 8 teeth!!!! Well as soon as he started sleeping in our bed i guess he is now more rested and i guess he was more relaxed and he started eating solid foods no problem! co sleeping isnt for everyone but im glad to see that their are a lot of people on here who do co sleep with their child. i was feeling guilty for letting him sleep in our bed because i thought i was the only one. I think people are just a little too judgemental sometimes.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Why do people get so ticked about this? If you don't like it ... don't do it. If your friends are doing it and it works for their family - good for them. Mind your business and don't tell others how to live their life. Seems pretty simple to me.
Agreed. i think when one comes a parent someone always has an opinion how you should raise your baby! people should be less judgmental!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I'm glad to see so many people don't have a problem with this.

I'm of the school of thought that it is really absurd to think that there is only one right way. People, families are all so different, so they need to address each of these issues on their own.

Before I had kids I used to think it would be nuts, but after is a whole differnt ball of wax.

First, like some said, I wanted the closeness. There is some real bonding that goes on by cuddling at night. Second, I don't know why we think it is so normal for kids to sleep alone when adults, for the most part, don't sleep alone. One of my child has terrible night terrors, and if she's with us, they are far less severe. So it works out better for all of us.
This is exactly how i feel except with less words hehe. Good job!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
I NEVER understood how parents can place their child in ANOTHER ROOM and close the door on them for 8 hours or so, particularly when the kid(s) are so tiny and small.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
My understanding is that there is a big difference between people who are co-sleeping because it is an educated choice they have made and people who are co-sleeping because of financial constraints (ie can't afford a crib). In America, people who have made an educated choice to co-sleep are more likely to read up on how to do so safely and what steps they should take to make their sleep environment as infant-friendly as possible. (In other places where co-sleeping is the norm, they have societal common knowledge about this) If we promoted safe co-sleeping tips as much as we promoted safe crib-sleeping tips (ie no bumpers, no blankets, no toys, back sleeping, etc.) then I think that this would be much less of a problem. To say that people shouldn't co-sleep because sometimes babies suffocate is not the most responsible stance, rather we should be educating people on safe co-sleeping habits just like we educate them on safe crib-sleeping habits.
Agreed! We could all say dont let a baby go to sleep because they could die from sids. Obviously that is a ridiculous statement i just made! Im pretty paranoid about things so i take steps to make sure my baby is as safe as can be while sleeping in my bed. He does not sleep on a pillow and i make sure his face is no where near mine. I also make sure the covers arent near him (i usually sleep with a light blanket over me instead of under all the covers anyway) and he sleeps in a sleep sack so that he is warm.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,979 times
I couldn't imagine doing this all the time, but if it was occasional I don't see the harm. My parents had a huge king-sized bed and when my dad was out of town on business my mother would let my sister and I sleep there when we were kids.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:04 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,428 times
When my 2nd son was a baby the only way he would sleep well was in bed with me. My husband was on midnights so it didn't really matter. Only problem was he stayed there until he was 9 yrs old! We started putting him back in his own bed when he started school but he would sneak in in the middle of the night. We'd catch him and make him go back to his own bed but he just got better at being sneaky! Then finally after years of trying ( bribing, punishing ) around 9 yrs old he just quit coming in.

My sister recently asked me what I thought of her 2 yr old sleeping with her and I told her it's fine as long as you don't mind him being there for the next 7 yrs!

I made darn sure that didn't happen with the last two kids!

Old 04-23-2009, 07:21 AM

650 posts, read 2,179,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
When my 2nd son was a baby the only way he would sleep well was in bed with me. My husband was on midnights so it didn't really matter. Only problem was he stayed there until he was 9 yrs old! We started putting him back in his own bed when he started school but he would sneak in in the middle of the night. We'd catch him and make him go back to his own bed but he just got better at being sneaky! Then finally after years of trying ( bribing, punishing ) around 9 yrs old he just quit coming in.

My sister recently asked me what I thought of her 2 yr old sleeping with her and I told her it's fine as long as you don't mind him being there for the next 7 yrs!

I made darn sure that didn't happen with the last two kids!
All of my kids co-slept with me at some point or another. My oldest 3 have all transitioned into their beds by the time they were 3 or 4, so not one of them still comes in and expects to sleep in our bed every night now that they are 10, 8, and 4.

My 2 y/o starts off in his bed and comes to me around 1 or 2 a.m. He will also not be in my bed for the next 7 years, and will make the move to his big boy bed permanently in the near future. Every kid is different, for sure, but I would say that MOST don't sleep with their parents past toddler/preschoolhood. I wouldn't discourage a mom from co-sleeping because you MIGHT end up with a kid that wants to share your bed until they are older. It's not like that for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting