Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:00 PM

128 posts, read 355,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Iowagirl--that's how we ended up with the toddler bed next to ours! We tried placing him in his own room, but he would get up and snuggle with us--but he was hogging too much bed. The side-by-side worked wonderful!
good idea! i'll try that when he gets a little bigger. i actually tried once but dad complained because he kept tripping over the bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 01:02 PM

128 posts, read 355,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I think it varies for each family.
The thing is, it's in the modern and western world where it is not normality. If you look outside of the modern world, co-sleeping is a very normal thing. For example in third world countries it is very common.

Well, for us, it's more of a convenience, as we only have one bedroom now and I don't want him to sleep in the living room as we spend a lot of time there, we have people over a lot at night, but deep down I still really enjoy the closeness. I'm a working mom. I'm away from my son the entire freaking day. The only time for us to have that closeness is in the evening. I think we both feel good that during the night we still near each other to compensate for the time we are apart during the day.

I know that one day he will have to move to his own bedroom. I'm actually feeling sad about it, but I know IT HAS TO HAPPEN sooner or later. We will deal with it then.
i feel the same way. i miss him so much during the day. when i go home, the last thing i want to do is push him away from me.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,284 times
I personally don't do it...or would not but I am judging...As with everything to do with parenting...if it works then leave it alone.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:14 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,608,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowagirl1977 View Post
i feel the same way. i miss him so much during the day. when i go home, the last thing i want to do is push him away from me.
LOL, I don't work and I still hate being away from them. I can't wait for them to get home from school sometimes, drives me nuts.

It's nice to see others wanting the closeness with their kids.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,932 times
Well, I really don't care what other people do. Our kids are in their own beds. Some days I think I'd like my own bed, too, because I can't stand anyone touching me while I sleep. My husband sometimes likes to put his foot next to mine and I shoo him away. Poor guy. Kids would just crawl all over me. Yikes! But, that's me. Others can do as they please so long as they don't come crawling into my bed.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times
My niece is almost 13 and my nephew is 7 they do not sleep in their own beds.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Ok. This baffles me out of my gourd. lol....

It is unhealthy for everyone all-around....what kind of marriage survives this behavior. I know a few people that do this and I want to strangle them lol! I have twins and couldn't imagine them sleeping with us in the same room, let alone same bed for the last 3 years!! NO WAY!!!!and others think it's OK!

Anyone else?
Why do you care what others do in regards to sleeping habits?

Co-sleeping is not something that would work for my family & I am the other extreme & used the cry it out method & that worked great for us. Some people think I am a criminal for CIO method, but it worked for us. Our 3yr old sleeps 11-12hrs/night through the night in his own bed. He wakes up ready to go every morning, usually with a big sleepy smile. Our 8 month old is getting weaned & learning that he's gotta figure out how to sleep, too. It's just how WE DECIDED to do it.

So, whatever works in regards to sleeping habits...go for it!! I can't see the sense in judging people on something such as co-sleeping.

It is ok. The important thing is that at night your children feel safe, secure & loved. This is what leads them to get a good night sleep. How parents go about doing this is their own perogative.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:14 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
Um, why do you care? LOL

My husband and I allow our kids (5 and 7) into our bed as they want to... some weeks it's every night and some weeks we don't see them at all. We have been happily married for 10 years. We are able to do "bedroom things" as often as we want to. Honestly, it's none of anyone else's concern where someone's children sleep.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:49 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,664 times
what if they pee the bed though? goodbye expensive mattresses LOL

Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 AM

450 posts, read 2,322,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
Why do parents let their kids sleep in their bed or room at all?!
Sometimes it starts with breastfeeding a baby, when it's much more conducive to getting a good night's sleep yourself, to have the baby with you, when they feed so often in the early days. It remains convenient and secure and so some people continue on with it.

Whatever works for a family, is their own business- if it works for them, then everything's a-ok. (I'm not being rude, I'm just saying- honestly- people's sleep habits and needs and abilities to sleep are so different, what seems like a disturbing, restless situation to some might be the ONLY way others can get the sleep they need.)

You'll love what works for ME then... I cosleep with the babies and my husband, who is usually sleep deprived and can't make it through the day when kids wake him up all through the night by crying or coming into the room or whatever it is....with babies, it's the need to be changed and fed through the night...etc...my husband sleeps alone and I sleep with the kids when need be. It's not bad for our marriage and our romance does not suffer any more than having kids in general would make it so. It is actually better for our marriage, because I do it with his complete approval/relief so he can get a restful night's sleep before going off to a demanding job. I cosleep with the kid(s) to be nice to the husband. And when they get out of the very young ages everyone will be back in their own beds.

Quite frankly....my husband snores and I get a better rest with the baby anyway! It totally works for us. A lot of our friends all cosleep together- this would NOT work for us with everyone jiggling in the bed. And some of our friends always put their kids in their own rooms/cribs/beds from the start. They formula feed. Or of they breastfeed, they have to get up through the night. This would not work as well for me because I get too awake when I have to get up too much and would get sick from lack of sleep.

So that's one possibility.....people need sleep at the rate they can attain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting