Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,384,844 times

Advertisements

I think it should be a duty. Anything else is unacceptable, without good reason/rationale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 12:53 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times
If I dont answer my moms phone calls she sends her cop buddy over haha, Mainly because shes in NY and im in FL, so shes worried about me and mainly her grandchildren.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 5,106 times
I'm pretty shocked at the number of responses from those who call a mother so little. My children call very little as well. As a aging mother I think it is pretty sad that a child would not want to check up on a parent frequently to see that they are Ok or need anything. Maybe to just say thinking of you whats new. I feel resentful to my children who feel seeing me once a year for a couple hours is perfectly OK.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I spoke to my mom on sunday get a knock on my door today it's my sibling wanting me to call my mom because she is upset I didn't call her. Is this normal?
No but at the same time yes.
She shouldn't be getting upset because you don't call her when she wants you too but many parents these days act like your mom is acting, so in that aspect it makes it normal.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM

My mom and I hardly talk anymore. I guess she is still a friend on my facebook and can see what I post and that is enough for her to be satisfied in keeping up with my life. I could go weeks without calling her and she wouldn't call me, my grandmother on the other hand, we talk a lot.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I call her when ever maybe once a month and when I do she cries because I do not call her every single day.

Cries? Really? Is she a grown up? I am thinking not.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
I call my mother when I have somethign interesting to say, which is next to never. She does not call me either. She is busy. I am busy. She does not live her life vicariously through her kids.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleAgainat26 View Post
Me and my fiance broke off our engagement because his mom and aunt felt that it was necessary for him to check in with them all day and every day. He lived at home, only until we married, and she wasn't happy about that, that is why she was excluded from wedding plans. So after 2 weeks of avoiding her, she got him to come home, after hitting him with a "I'm dying" story. He walks in and his grandparents are sitting there.. The whole week his GPs were here, his movements were monitored to make sure he wasn't talking to me. As soon as the GPs hit the plane, the mother and aunt, took his cell phone, car, and even hacked his FaceBook account, to show that they are in control. So at the end of the day, I had to end my relationship because a mother embedding in my fiance's head that it is absolutely necessary, as a child, that he checks in everyday and stays at home during the week. If he didn't then he was going to H3LL and he is a bad kid. Now mind you, my fiance is in his 20s.. Is something wrong with that?
There would be so much bloodshed if that happened.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
My mother is elderly and lives alone. I Skype with her every morning, and before she goes to bed at night. Somedays I Skype with her in the middle of the day. I just want to be sure she is alright. It does not take a lot of time to be nice to someone you love. I live 3 and a half hours away from her.I feel that it is the least I can do, as I cannot be there with her very often. My brothers live much closer. My youngest brother calls her almost everyday. My next youngest brother calls her at least twice a week--but my older brother is kind of erratic in his calling. I think he loses track of how long it has been--he travels all over the world for his business and has little down time. My brothers see her and help her out with day to day things much more than I am able to do.

My DIL calls me more than my son does, but we all Skype about twice a week. I love to see them all together with my grandaughter. My DIL and I text a lot, almost everyday.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:48 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
lol funny to see this thread alive again.

I still talk to my mom all day, though mostly now through text or email. The only times we really have phone conversations is when I'm driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting