Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 03:22 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
He was curious on why the time issue out of all his rules was the one most people had issues with.
LOL, I still kinda am. To be honest, when I first posted my rules, I thought the one's that everyone would have an issue with would be:
-Loud music goes off and all snacking stops at 9:00, computer and phones are turned off at 9:30
and
-This isn't a restaurant, my kids are expected to eat whatever's being made. No special orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 03:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,806,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
LOL, I still kinda am. To be honest, when I first posted my rules, I thought the one's that everyone would have an issue with would be:
-Loud music goes off and all snacking stops at 9:00, computer and phones are turned off at 9:30
and
-This isn't a restaurant, my kids are expected to eat whatever's being made. No special orders.
My kids when they were teens never had a bedtime. They knew what they were responsible for (school, homework, sports, chores etc...) They handled it fine but they may not work for all kids I guess.

Lol, I used the this is not a restaurant too. I came home one day and my younger son made a McDonalds sign for the front door.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
My kids when they were teens never had a bedtime. They knew what they were responsible for (school, homework, sports, chores etc...) They handled it fine but they may not work for all kids I guess.
It might work for them, but I'm afraid to try it. I like structure. Just saying, go to bed when you're done with homework and chores doesn't work for me.

Quote:
Lol, I used the this is not a restaurant too. I came home one day and my younger son made a McDonalds sign for the front door.
Haha, this is why I love having kids. They never fail to put a smile on your face.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
It might work for them, but I'm afraid to try it. I like structure. Just saying, go to bed when you're done with homework and chores doesn't work for me.

Haha, this is why I love having kids. They never fail to put a smile on your face.
I think structure is important too but as they became teens I eased up. They were both generally very good and I was much more lenient than some other parents, but they never really gave me a reason to be super strict. They certainly had their moments, but on a whole (and compared to other kids) they were great and they seem to be progressing just fine as young men.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
They were both generally very good and I was much more lenient than some other parents, but they never really gave me a reason to be super strict. They certainly had their moments, but on a whole (and compared to other kids) they were great and they seem to be progressing just fine as young men.
That's great to hear! How old are they?
Lenient, eh? You must be like the FUN PARENTS I hear so much about, lol.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
That's great to hear! How old are they?
Lenient, eh? You must be like the FUN PARENTS I hear so much about, lol.
Thanks. 23 and 25, but they are still my babies

EDIT..yes, I was a fun parent. I don't know. I was (and still am) their friend which everyone hates. I was super strict when they were small so I think I eanred their respect. I gave them their freedom and they gave me respect, and that was all I ever wanted. Somehow, it all worked.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
My oldest is 16 too. But, I'm worried he would take advantage of being able to 'regulate himself' and stay up all night. Here, the latest you can sleep in on the weekends is 10. But, I appreciate you understanding the importance of waking up early.
You might be surprised

I am not a night person. I'm usually in bed by 9:30 or so - sometimes asleep by then since we get up so early.

When I say he regulates himself - sometimes if he's really tired he's in bed by 9. He likes his sleep and if that means he goes to bed earlier to get it, he will. He will usually only stay up really, really late if it's a weekend night when he doesn't have to work the next day, although right now he's only working Saturday's and he doesn't have to be there until noon. During the summer he had to be to work by 7am. It was farm labor, so staying up late was something he chose not to do.

He's so used to getting up early all the time, that when he can sleep in, it's usually no later than 11am. But generally he's up earlier.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
and
I'm not a restaurant either - so that one didn't even make me blink.

If there's loud music on, it's probably me....

Old 09-18-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm not a restaurant either - so that one didn't even make me blink.

If there's loud music on, it's probably me....
Well, I'm good that I'm not the only one that has the 'not a restaurant' standpoint.

I never understood the purpose of playing music loud, though. Care to explain?

Old 09-18-2010, 04:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
and

No because why would you cook a separate meal for each kid lol. And i agree with the stuff being turned off at 9:30 if they are going to bed at 9. And to be honest i don't think i want loud music at even 9 :-P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting