U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,634,495 times
Reputation: 2819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I'm still wondering what caused the backlash about my children's bedtime...
Well, it seems a bit squared and inflexible, for some people that doesn't work very well.

I'm one of those people who's unable to have a sleep rhythm, and as much as i like sleeping 8 hours straight, if I do, I can kiss sleep the next day goodbye. I've always been like that, and it was only when I just dealt with it by sleeping when I was tired, and had the opportunity (be it at 2pm or 4am) that it worked out for me, so 10pm to 6am isn't for everyone. Seems to work for you, I think some just thought it a bit too strict, as long as the kids do what they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:19 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,674,039 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
That's why I said I'll give you that exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,540,716 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Well, it seems a bit squared and inflexible, for some people that doesn't work very well.

I'm one of those people who's unable to have a sleep rhythm, and as much as i like sleeping 8 hours straight, if I do, I can kiss sleep the next day goodbye. I've always been like that, and it was only when I just dealt with it by sleeping when I was tired, and had the opportunity (be it at 2pm or 4am) that it worked out for me, so 10pm to 6am isn't for everyone. Seems to work for you, I think some just thought it a bit too strict, as long as the kids do what they should.
I know, some people are like that. But, if you have a consistent sleep pattern, you may be able to develop a sleep rhythm. That's the way I see it. And, there's a huge upside to waking up early. There's no rushing to go catch the bus, so they can eat a good breakfast and pick out their clothes, and still have some time to watch TV or something for a little bit. The only rule I have in the morning is no computer. They get tangled up in all those websites and lose track of time. They miss the bus and I have to drive them in, and I wind up being late for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:24 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,674,039 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I'm still wondering what caused the backlash about my children's bedtime...

Because generally as the kids get older the time they go to bed is extended....and most people don't have a wakeup call and not that early either lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,540,716 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Because generally as the kids get older the time they go to bed is extended....and most people don't have a wakeup call and not that early either lol.
Never in my life have I heard of kids being allowed to go to bed after 10 PM on a school night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,634,495 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I know, some people are like that. But, if you have a consistent sleep pattern, you may be able to develop a sleep rhythm. That's the way I see it. And, there's a huge upside to waking up early. There's no rushing to go catch the bus, so they can eat a good breakfast and pick out their clothes, and still have some time to watch TV or something for a little bit. The only rule I have in the morning is no computer. They get tangled up in all those websites and lose track of time. They miss the bus and I have to drive them in, and I wind up being late for work.
Oh, I've tried all that stuff, like getting up at 7am consistently for 3 months (yes, even weekends), and I do work (which, in my current line of work, means getting up around 5:30am) so I have to get up for that, however, that doesn't mean I'll manage to sleep at a reasonable time, it just means I'll be really damn tired, hehe. If I sleep when I'm tired after work, given I don't have anything else to do, I get enough sleep (I need about 6 hours a day/night, any more and I get too awake and I can't sleep the next night) and it's not like it hurts anyone. Unorthodox maybe, but it works for me.

I've always been that way too, I remember laying in bed as a young child (less than 10) not able to fall asleep, and finally just sneaking my nightstand lamp on and reading something instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,540,716 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Oh, I've tried all that stuff, like getting up at 7am consistently for 3 months (yes, even weekends), and I do work (which, in my current line of work, means getting up around 5:30am) so I have to get up for that, however, that doesn't mean I'll manage to sleep at a reasonable time, it just means I'll be really damn tired, hehe. If I sleep when I'm tired after work, given I don't have anything else to do, I get enough sleep (I need about 6 hours a day/night, any more and I get too awake and I can't sleep the next night) and it's not like it hurts anyone. Unorthodox maybe, but it works for me.

I've always been that way too, I remember laying in bed as a young child (less than 10) not able to fall asleep, and finally just sneaking my nightstand lamp on and reading something instead.
Well, that's a bit strange. I'm one of the people that LOVES sleep, and I raised my family to love it, too. lol
Did you read my other rules, Viking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:41 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,674,039 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Never in my life have I heard of kids being allowed to go to bed after 10 PM on a school night.
Lots of parents don't have bedtimes as their kids get older. The idea being if you stay up to late....you suffer the consequences the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:47 PM
 
4,541 posts, read 9,496,950 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Because generally as the kids get older the time they go to bed is extended....and most people don't have a wakeup call and not that early either lol.
I don't know about that - after seeing the thread about start times of schools, I would venture to say there are a good number of teens having to get up that early.

My 16 year old gets up at 6am every morning - so that he has time to shower and get ready for school and make his lunch - he leaves by 6:55 ish. If he wasn't driving himself, he'd be leaving even earlier. Last year he was getting up at 5:45.

I don't have a bedtime for him. He regulates himself. On the weekends he'll sleep in pretty late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,634,495 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Well, that's a bit strange. I'm one of the people that LOVES sleep, and I raised my family to love it, too. lol
Did you read my other rules, Viking?
I love sleep too, lol, I just had some issues with it.

I did read your other rules, I think they were strict, but it certainly seems to work for you, and the only reason I eventually replied to this is because I got a sense, from some of your replies, that you think not having such strict rules is bad parenting, I felt the need to shed some light on it not always being that way.

My way of dealing with kids (not my own yet, thankfully) is very much the way I deal with children, though of course, on a level they understand.

I was more or less my little sisters dad when she was younger, as her own father was absent, and though I was strict about certain things, I generally treated her the same as I treat adults, with reason and respect. I'm not saying you don't, by any means, simply that there are more than one way to do things, but I'm sure you know that.

I didn't mean to attack you, and I apologize if it came off that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top