Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

You make your own mother sounds nasty. Yet, your educated enough to go to uni. 18 years she spent caring for you and you begrudge her a little worry and overcontrol? She loves you and doesnt want to be without you. She went through labor to birth you, nourished you, sheltered you, fed you, paid for your education, and you slander her to us on this blog? Sure she may not be perfect, who is? But she did not abort you like so many so-called mothers today. Pregnancy, birth, and raising a daughter over 18 years is a huge slice out of her life. So why don't you get one too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
Question can I ?

iam 17 teen years old thats about to be 18 i just wanna know can i continue school in a different state with out living with my mother? Basicly being on my liven on my own because we do not get alone and i just cant put up with it anymore so soon as i turn 18 iam outta there

Old 08-16-2010, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,287 times
I have an 18yr old daughter who has generalized dystonia. She can't walk without a wheel chair and has eye problems (they lock up). As luck would have it she has a boyfriend who has a terrible criminal history including molesting his 6yr old sister. she wants to move in and calls me and her Dad controlling. I think there are times parents have to be for the well being of their children. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed to prevent this from happening. Kids are given a lot of damaging advice from people on their independence. I have 6 other children 4 which are on their own One is an cpa, one a teacher and one a physicians assistant. Another is in college, a junior hoping to be admitted to law school. She and a younger brother are home. What do I say to her?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:06 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmykids View Post
I have an 18yr old daughter who has generalized dystonia. She can't walk without a wheel chair and has eye problems (they lock up). As luck would have it she has a boyfriend who has a terrible criminal history including molesting his 6yr old sister. she wants to move in and calls me and her Dad controlling. I think there are times parents have to be for the well being of their children. I'm at a loss as to how to proceed to prevent this from happening. Kids are given a lot of damaging advice from people on their independence. I have 6 other children 4 which are on their own One is an cpa, one a teacher and one a physicians assistant. Another is in college, a junior hoping to be admitted to law school. She and a younger brother are home. What do I say to her?
You might want to start a new thread instead of attaching this post to an old one. You'll get more advice that way, I think.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:24 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Oh so this thread is old...
Nvm I was going to jump on this train but I guess it's already left...

Old 08-17-2010, 03:25 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times
Quote:
Nothing...take her wheelchair...how's she going to leave without?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
One thing you can't necessarily do legally on your 18th birthday is to establish residence. In some cases, legal residence is something that must be in force for a certain period of time, and all you can do at age 18 is to start the clock. Until that waiting time is satisfied, your legal residence before the age of 18 is considered to have been the residence of your legal guardian, no matter where you might have been actually domiciled. This could leave you at the mercy of your guardian until some time after you turn 18.

In a case like yours, this could come into play in determining your eligibility for in-state college tuition fees, or, as another poster pointed out, eligibility for income-based benefits.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:

Can you get power of attorney over her, at least medically because of the conditions that need attention? That way she would be at least looked after by the court to make sure he was not harming her? You have to let her live her life, but not if it may cause her harm. I would keep it all friendly because if you cut her off, she could end up hurt physically by this guy.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 22,313 times
i am going through this same exact thing but with my dad.. i dont know what to do!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:06 PM

5 posts, read 22,313 times
i am going through this exact same thing. my father is extremely controlling. i am and A and B kid also graduating with honors.. got accepted into a college that he is unhappy with me attending. i am always extremely nice to him and i basically kiss his but yet all he sees is the negative. i am debating moving out but my mother doesnt make enough money to support me and my college expenses.. i am afraid if i move out then he wont have to pay for my college anymore? could that happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting