Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:16 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I rode the bus to school when I was a kid. I lived in Pittsburgh PA, so there were times that I had to stand at the bus stop for 30 minutes in a foot of snow with below freezing temperatures. I also endured being beat up and teased by the neighborhood bully on numerous occasions while waiting for the bus. Once on the bus, there was drug usage (pot) and lots of foul language. Did it kill me. . . . no. Did it shape who I am today.. . . yes. Am I scarred for life because of it. . . . you gotta be kidding.

I was actually talking about this the other day with my wife because our oldest starts Kindergarden next year. I've noticed that the school bus for Timber Drive Elementary picks up kids in our neighborhood at 8:30am. We were guessing that people drive their kids to school because both parents have to get to work and they don't want their kids waiting for the bus after they've left for work.
The horror! That just won't do with the little Princes & Princesses of today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
Where is Dark of the Moon to lock this? It was doing so much better in the local forum. Now since it is moved it is out of control. Too much back and forth. A professional would realize that they need more information that what was given in this thread to make a professional diagnosis.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,030 times
Hi what would you consider a reasonable fee to have a private pickup service to take a child to school? My daughter is considering developing such a business in San Diego. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny084 View Post
Hi what would you consider a reasonable fee to have a private pickup service to take a child to school? My daughter is considering developing such a business in San Diego. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
depends on how far the drive is. We have a school bus available that is only $.50.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,030 times
Hi for $.50 how far is that away the school in distant and time?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:18 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I am from the era when kids walked to school. Plain and simple we walked. Rain, shine or snow, we walked, that is what kids did. In HS I took the bus because it was un walkable, but all the kids took the bus, it was the norm.

That was up until the late 70's I believe. The if my memory serves me correctly a little boy by the name of "Etan Patz" was kidnapped never to be found again, so from that time on, It became law that parents had to accompany their children to school, or something to that effect.

It is a shame though because it kind of makes children a bit entitled that they have to be shouffered all over the place, instead of back in our day, we walked all over and far too....but unfortunetely these days are not like it was back then, sdo you can never be too careful.

It is a shame though.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am from the era when kids walked to school. Plain and simple we walked. Rain, shine or snow, we walked, that is what kids did. In HS I took the bus because it was un walkable, but all the kids took the bus, it was the norm.

That was up until the late 70's I believe. The if my memory serves me correctly a little boy by the name of "Etan Patz" was kidnapped never to be found again, so from that time on, It became law that parents had to accompany their children to school, or something to that effect.

It is a shame though because it kind of makes children a bit entitled that they have to be shouffered all over the place, instead of back in our day, we walked all over and far too....but unfortunetely these days are not like it was back then, sdo you can never be too careful.

It is a shame though.
What? There are still school buses, parents aren't required to drive their kids to school. And Etan Patz was walking to the schoolbus stop when he was kidnapped.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I don't feel like reading 18 pages of posts, but I can understand the OP's puzzlement.

I think some parents just drop their kids off on their way to work if it's convenient enough. We didn't except for the period when our daughter wanted to participate in the early-morning softball games before class. The time worked well there. Otherwise, she rode the bus. And there were always a couple of stay-at-home moms to stand and wait with the kids gathered together (which, as we know, was not a common sight by any means when we Baby Boomers were kids).

Also, driving school busses are Jobs from Hell. The drivers are no longer allowed to exercise control over the behaviors of unruly kids, and they end up in trouble if they raise their voices. Here in the Portland-Metro area it seems that there are always jobs open for school bus drivers ~ doesn't pay enough to put up with a load of Tasmanian Devils. Therefore, I suspect that some parents may want to keep their kids out of the bus system.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:26 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
I grew up in a small town. The only kids who rode the bus were the ones who lived in the rural areas. Most of my friends walked. Everyone watched out for us. A good thing and a bad thing. The bad thing being that if you missed your step, the whole town including your parents knew about it.

I live in another small town. Here the rural and SPED kids have first priority when it comes to busing. If more kids apply then seats, there's a lottery for those live in the city and are not SPED.

Some people, like my wife's uncle, believe the schools should stick to teaching only. I do agree to a point. I do think parents be responsible for taking them to school and feeding them. But that's a perfect world.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
We walked to school when I was a kid. And HS was close so we walked there too. The times I had to ride the bus I absolutely hated it (for class trips). I'm not sure what school my son will eventually go to, but I don't think it will be walkable. And I really can't see myself putting my 5 year old on the bus. Maybe I will change my mind over the next few years. But it just seems like a dirty, miserable experience. How's that for dramatic? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting