Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 AM

299 posts, read 255,620 times

Advertisements

My wife drives my kids to elementary school because we are the first street picked up and they will spend 40 minutes on the bus versus her driving them and leaving 30 minutes later. This allows them to sleep a little bit longer and make sure they get a good breakfast. Once they reach middle school they just take the bus because the ride isn't as long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 07:52 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,117,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer68 View Post
My wife drives my kids to elementary school because we are the first street picked up and they will spend 40 minutes on the bus versus her driving them and leaving 30 minutes later. This allows them to sleep a little bit longer and make sure they get a good breakfast. Once they reach middle school they just take the bus because the ride isn't as long.
That's another good point. I don't want him to wake up or leave any earlier than he has to. The middle school is across the street so if we stay in this house it will be great. Do kids ever have the option to go home for lunch in school? I went to Catholic grammar school and we always went home for lunch. The lunch room was as bad as the school bus for me.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
What? There are still school buses, parents aren't required to drive their kids to school. And Etan Patz was walking to the schoolbus stop when he was kidnapped.
I know there are school buses, I know I might have been a little "off" about the story, but it did have an impact on how kids were to go to school.

My sister walks her kids to the bus stop along with all the other parents, so i am assuming that younger kids must be accomaonied by adults.

my kids are past that so I didnt have to do any of that.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:04 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,883 times
We drive because we don't have the option. No bus service if you live within a 2 mile radius.... It literally takes me 5 min from driveway to school & back... Depending on how drop off line is....

Old 09-12-2012, 01:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
We drive because we don't have the option. No bus service if you live within a 2 mile radius.... It literally takes me 5 min from driveway to school & back... Depending on how drop off line is....
If it's that close they can't walk or ride their bike?

Old 09-12-2012, 02:28 PM

112 posts, read 292,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That's what I was thinking. In my old neighborhood all of the stay at home moms would load their kids up in their mini-vans to drive them to school which was about a mile away. Where I live now we are totally discouraged to driving our kid's to school. By not driving your kids to school you are helping the environment, promoting physical activity, and making it much safer for those who do walk or ride their bikes. If you live too far then the bus is the next best thing (unless bullying is an issue than I can totally understand why a parent would choose to drive their kid).

Old 09-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes, which they do , I drive when it's raining,etc....

Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
That's what I was thinking. In my old neighborhood all of the stay at home moms would load their kids up in their mini-vans to drive them to school which was about a mile away. Where I live now we are totally discouraged to driving our kid's to school. By not driving your kids to school you are helping the environment, promoting physical activity, and making it much safer for those who do walk or ride their bikes. If you live too far then the bus is the next best thing (unless bullying is an issue than I can totally understand why a parent would choose to drive their kid).
Yes, we are discouraged from driving.... I drive them when it's raining or snowing....

Old 09-12-2012, 02:42 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,924,677 times
We live about 10 miles away from the elementary school. I drive my kids for several reasons:

1) Bus service is provided from my neighborhood to the base school, but we have chosen to use the year-round school and there is no bus service for us. They have 2 bus routes for the whole school, and we are not on them. I would say that >90% of the students at our school are car riders by necessity.

2) Even if there was a bus, I wouldn't use it. My younger daughter goes to pre-school on the same campus as the elementary school, so I would have to drive there to bring her anyway as she would not be eligible for the bus as a pre-school student anyway. I might as well bring both kids. In 2 more years, they will both be in elementary, and if a bus is available for them at that time, I *might* consider it.

3) I do worry about my kids riding a bus before they are 50 pounds, or at least 40 pounds (which neither are yet). Buses are very safe for kids over 50 pounds, but for pre-school aged kids under 50 pounds, harnesses are required. What about kids who are older than pre-school, but still not 50 pounds? It's like they fall in some limbo-land. Harnesses are not required, and are usually not available. By the time my kids are old enough for middle school and become eligible for bus service, I will feel fine about their safety on the bus.

4) The current school is right on my way to work, and I get to work exactly on-time after dropping them off. It actually works perfectly with my schedule.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:42 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,729,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyreinphx View Post
In some areas, it isn't safe for the kids to walk or bike to school. That has been an issue in some of the Twin Cities suburbs, I know, in areas where the streets are just not designed with walking and biking safety in mind. There's been a great deal of work to make areas like this safer (I believe that's true across the nation), but when the issue is physical safety, it can take time and money to overcome. And in winter climates kids can still walk and bike, but there are some additional safety concerns, especially in areas that don't already have much pedestrian activity.

One thing I've noticed (both in MN and where I am living now) is that the increasing interest in kids being able to walk or bike to school is helping to make safety improvements that help everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting