Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 06:28 AM

44 posts, read 127,734 times

Advertisements

I have read all the posts and agree with some: disagree with others. I AM able to - the majority of the time but not 100% of the time (!!) - determine who is from here and who is not - generally based on dialect, grammar but most importantly, behavior. Perhaps, however, I am just more tuned in to this than others (it is also my professional training/fortay). I welcome MM and considering I will DIRECTLY be affected by/see immediate results of the tax benefits, I welcome them with open arms...most of them. I certainly don't have time, nor will I patronize, ANY store who treats their employees as an expendable commodity - reliable, dependable, mature, hard working employees are NOT expdendable - must like I will not shop at any pet store that supports puppy mills. Maybe I just have higher expectations than others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 AM

59 posts, read 154,368 times
I am curious if people from this area would find the above post to be negative or a positive statement when one talks about knowing someone about their dialect and their "behavior"....The behavior comment really was entertaining.....There's a big difference in knowing and assuming that one knows where someone is from. I think most would wonder why one would try to figure this out...Why does it matter where someone is from? How does knowing affect you ? I know I have children and I bring them up that everyone in this world is the same...That no one is any better than another...So trying to depict where someone is from just seems silly and a waste of time. I know me personally my focus is my family and how maybe these stores can make it easier on our everyday lives. I am not sitting here trying to figure out who is from here from who isn't. I spend my time more wisely like taking my kids to see the Seal's football game or supporting town events.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:43 AM

I also think most would agree that trying to make people happy 100% of the time is an unrealistic goal...There are always going to be the ones who complain and find fault as this brings joy to their lives and that's ok...I'm just happy I do not live by that same practice.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 21,635 times
My opinion is no matter where you are from, how high your education is, how big your house is, what car you drive or how you pronounce your vocabulary does not define you as a person. Whether we like it or not,from here or not we all live here in the same communities--our children ride the bus together,eat lunch together and sit next to one another in class. In my home prejuduce is unacceptable. WE are all Americans with pretty much the same aganda- to take care of our families and do the best we can each day. We can't sweat the small stuff and I am very happy living in Central Pa and everyone I have come in contact with has been nothing but nice. If the born n' raised locals don't want us "imports" maybe they should consider setting up border control around Snyder County.

Last edited by shelldog; 10-20-2008 at 08:16 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
Shelldog, welcome to the area. Where did you move here from? (Just curious - no ulterior motive - )

I've now been to Target three times, the last being this past Saturday. It was like a busy anthill - people everywhere! I found some Christmas items that I was too late for last season and no one else has this season yet. I was so happy! Again, though (and I don't mean this in a bad way) I was surprised to not see anyone I know there. Probably being new, the store is drawing people from all over. I know when the Super Wal-Mart opened outside Shamokin we would shop there for a while, until the novelty wore off - and the length of the drive got to us.

I'm glad MM is here, and I'm anxiously awaiting the opening of some more stores. Hopefully the success of this venture will open the minds of some other municipalities around. Most notably, I hope Penn Township will make their industrial park along Route 522 a KOZ to attract more industry to the area. With the various closings and layoffs lately, including Fleetwood in Paxinos, I'm afraid people are going to be hurting this holiday season.

Oh, I almost forgot. While I was in Target Saturday I was looking for shower curtains. An employee was stocking shelves and he asked me if he could help me find anything - in the most delightful British accent!! I wished I could have found more reasons to quiz him on things just to listen to him. It was great, and he was so helpful.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I can honestly see where Dawne is coming from. I live in a much more heavily-populated metropolitan area, yet it is not at all uncommon for me to bump into someone I know at least once per day when I'm out and about in either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. Perhaps part of it is just because I'm a social butterfly who enjoys networking so much, but I can agree with Dawne that it makes your hometown feel cozy when you routinely have pleasant bump-ins with people whom you have not seen in months or even years due to hectic schedules. I've randomly struck up conversations in the past at my workplace with Tom & Noreen Clark from WNEP, former Wilkes-Barre Mayor Tom McGroarty, current Wilkes-Barre Mayor Tom Leighton, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Pioneers players, Rocky & Sue from 98.5 KRZ, and a fleet of other local notables. I never know who I'm going to befriend next whenever I come in for my next shift.

With that being said I also enjoy striking up conversations with apparent newcomers at work. I can recall a couple of years ago helping a younger woman with Illinois plates out to her vehicle with large purchases. I always tell everyone "Welcome to Pennsylvania." (I simply hope I'm enough of a goodwill ambassador to negate the ill effects exhibited by the anti-transplant crowd).

Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 AM

9 posts, read 21,635 times
Dawne my remarks were not reflecting anthing that you said. Anywho I am from Scranton but lived in Dillsburg, Pa for awhile.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM

Great posts ...!!

Did I mention I would love an Olive Garden or Chili's

Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketoblog View Post
Great posts ...!!

Did I mention I would love an Olive Garden or Chili's
I would love to see Hard Rock Cafe: Monroe Township!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:44 AM

ScranBarre I like the way your mind works....

awesome idea...never thought of a Hard Rock...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania