Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 12:03 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,324 times

Advertisements

My dad's second wife was this way. I'm not agreeing that women are like this but this is a single situation of that occurring. That's why the marriage literally lasted four months. She had a shopping addiction with lots of debt but my dad didn't listen.

After she moved into his house she thought contributing anything to the house hold was considered a blessing to my dad since he already paid all those bills. She regularly spent 3-4K within a few days of getting her monthly check and was flat broke by the 10th of each month. Their agreement when she moved in was to create a joint account for her to deposit her check and she got $1500 a month as her money to spend on whatever she wanted. A far cry from her normal 3-4K. She would just flip out saying he wasn't a real man and he was stealing her money. Literally all of her money that went into the joint account went towards paying off her debt.

Yea it didn't last long.

Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
My dad's second wife was this way. I'm not agreeing that women are like this but this is a single situation of that occurring. That's why the marriage literally lasted four months. She had a shopping addiction with lots of debt but my dad didn't listen.

After she moved into his house she thought contributing anything to the house hold was considered a blessing to my dad since he already paid all those bills. She regularly spent 3-4K within a few days of getting her monthly check and was flat broke by the 10th of each month. Their agreement when she moved in was to create a joint account for her to deposit her check and she got $1500 a month as her money to spend on whatever she wanted. A far cry from her normal 3-4K. She would just flip out saying he wasn't a real man and he was stealing her money. Literally all of her money that went into the joint account went towards paying off her debt.

Yea it didn't last long.
I like to read horror stories, and am currently making my way through Rod Serling's Night Gallery television series. A former coworker asked if this stuff gave me nightmares. No, not at all. However, the thought of being married to someone like the above is truly terrifying.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
This is pretty much every household lol

Old 01-14-2020, 07:29 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I think the OP was talking about wives who do work, but claim their earnings as "theirs", while claiming the husband's earnings as "ours".
I knew that. Did you think that "wives trying to save money" meant "wives who don't work?" Lots of working wives are desperately trying to save whatever money they can.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
My dad's second wife was this way. I'm not agreeing that women are like this but this is a single situation of that occurring. That's why the marriage literally lasted four months. She had a shopping addiction with lots of debt but my dad didn't listen. .
He should have recognized this early on. It's very obvious when people spend too much money. He really has no one but himself to blame. I find that a lot of men make poor choices of who to marry.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,233,865 times
It's always the man's fault.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:02 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonite View Post
What a horrible mistake for a "numbers person" to make. That is the ratio of the crude divorce rate per thousand in 2011 (3.6) to the crude marriage rate per thousand in 2011 (6.8). These are unrelated numbers. Their ratio says exactly nothing about the probability that a given marriage or a given year's worth up marriages will end in divorce. What they say is that the sum of all of the marriages that occurred in 2011 and in all prior years resulted in a number of divorces per thousand during 2011 that was 53% of the number of new marriages per thousand that occurred in 2011. This is pretty basic stuff to be completely confused by.
Can you explain it like I'm five? Not sure what you're trying to say.

[edit] never mind. Just realized that was a six year old post. Carry on.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 AM

1,579 posts, read 950,511 times
When my marriage was new and I made a lot more than my (now) ex husband, what was mine was ours and what was his was ours. About 10 years later when he started outpacing me (because we kept moving for his career so he advanced and I stagnated) suddenly what was his was his and what was mine was ours. Oh, and since I earned less I had to do all the housework and yard work to compensate for it.

I would love to say this is why he's my ex but I was an idiot and stuck with him until he left me.

As for divorce rates, yeah, they aren't 50%, it's a misunderstanding of the numbers. I get it and math isn't my strong suit. To simply it. For 10 years, 100 couples get married every year. So you have 1000 marriages. But in one year, 100 couples get married and 50 divorce... people see this as "50% divorce rate" when, in fact, 50% of the couples are not divorced since 950 are still married. The divore "rate" is really 5% as in 5% of the couples who married divorced even though for every 100 marriages, 50 ended in divorce that one year.

As for me and divorce rates, I don't see the point of marrying again and so I won't and I won't be part of any more divorce statistics. What is mine is mine from now on and I am good with that. It’s not that I don’t trust men, it’s that I don’t trust myself. I thought I picked a good man back in the day, but I turned out to be wrong. I don’t want to risk making a mistake again. Besides, I don’t see the need to marry if I’m not going to have more children.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:57 AM

57 posts, read 33,182 times
This is solely my opinion... All I can say is when everyone is dead, any sort of cash goes back to the government. Especially the people who are truly alone, without children or any other family relatives to give their belongings away. Eventually, everything must go... somewhere.

Anyhow, I used to think selfish and thought that everything is mine but in reality everything is not exactly mine... Took years to pull apart from that way of thinking. Experience of giving/selling stuff away really opened my mind in so many ways.

Being materialistic made my soul cold for many years. I don't think I could ever go back, again. Not for me.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
When my marriage was new and I made a lot more than my (now) ex husband, what was mine was ours and what was his was ours. About 10 years later when he started outpacing me (because we kept moving for his career so he advanced and I stagnated) suddenly what was his was his and what was mine was ours. Oh, and since I earned less I had to do all the housework and yard work to compensate for it.
It sounds like you made sacrifices so he could advance in his career, then he tried to penalize you for not earning as much as he did. There are lots of women out there who work part time jobs or stay home, so their husband can advance in their careers; but the men fail to realize this or appreciate the sacrifices made on their behalf. Then they complain when the wife gets half of everything in the divorce and the men scream "but it's all mine!!! I made more money than she did!!" I don't feel sorry for these men. They were propped up in their careers by their wives, in most cases. Some wives even helped their husband run the family business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance