Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 06:58 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
People are idiots at picking good spouses and then blame the entire other gender when it blows up in their face.

Brilliant.
People can put on an act or change, sometimes for years. I have seen some real doozies among my friends and co-workers. Sometimes either of the two get bored or sick of the other and the divorce laws put no disincentive for the woman to divorce, quite the opposite in fact, which is why 70-80% of divorces are instigated by women. Our culture is just becoming more and more dysfunctional as evidenced by the high divorce rate, high percentage of children born out of wedlock, and declining birth rates.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:44 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
People can put on an act or change, sometimes for years. I have seen some real doozies among my friends and co-workers. Sometimes either of the two get bored or sick of the other and the divorce laws put no disincentive for the woman to divorce, quite the opposite in fact, which is why 70-80% of divorces are instigated by women. Our culture is just becoming more and more dysfunctional as evidenced by the high divorce rate, high percentage of children born out of wedlock, and declining birth rates.
We get it. You think all women are evil and out to suck men dry. In divorce the man is always the biggest loser and women are just heartless harpies who want to drain every cent out of every man they encounter. We've heard this ad nauseam over and over from you.

My take on the topic, usually in a relationship, one person may be better suited to managing the finances. Sometimes it's the man, sometimes it's the woman. But either way, the one who is not doing the main management, should still sit down with the manager once a week, one a month (regularly anyway) to understand the status, where the money is going, what investments they have an how they're doing, etc. and agree on the strategies. It should be a partnership.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:57 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
It was more typical for the "wifey" to manage the day to day budget and the "hubby" to manage the big financial picture.

One poster seems to have been/is very controlling. Very generous (according to her) that she gave her husband "pocket money".

Marisamay’s post wasn’t about just managing finances tho or deciding who will do what. She was talking about total control & not being pleased with her husband over it. That’s about wayyy more than money IMO & isn’t healthy for any relationship.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
We get it. You think all women are evil and out to suck men dry. .
No, I don't think every woman is destined to destroy a man's life and turn him into an alimony slave. However, every woman can and a good number will. That is the problem. Marriage as it is now fails both a cost benefits analysis and a risk rewards analysis from the prospective of men.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:11 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No, I don't think every woman is destined to destroy a man's life and turn him into an alimony slave. However, every woman can and a good number will. That is the problem. Marriage as it is now fails both a cost benefits analysis and a risk rewards analysis from the prospective of men.
Ok, now you’ve done it. First, any man who says he wouldn’t prefer a wife who stayed home and ran the house and the children like a Swiss train, is lying. Plenty of women over the ages are responsible for managing the money in the household, and if they didn’t, the husband would have squandered it and the children would have starved. All a man needs to do is choose a wife with his brain engaged.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:20 PM

A lot of my friends who got divorce raped were pretty good judges of character. Although, some women give obvious red flags many more do not.

None is asking or expecting women to be domestic slaves. I would prefer a wife that was an equal and could carry her own weight financially. However, if women want equality then they should be treated equally in divorce. If they want to abandon their husband, don't expect to take all his assets and continue to be supported going forward. What we have now is have your cake and eat it to. Women are equal, strong and independent until they get to divorce court then they are vulnerable and demand special privileges and protections.

As far as I am concerned all these special interest identity politics groups who demand not equality but special privileges and preferential treatment are equally repugnant, the feminist and identity politics crowd on the left and the white power cretins on the alt-right.

Old 01-17-2021, 05:55 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
The thread is from 2013. Is this an issue anymore?

After almost a year of living together, very closely, I would think there are larger compatibility concerns.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:17 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

Fights about money & control issues are one of the biggest problems in relationships & marriages tho. It’s a touchy subject for a lot of ppl...but ita it shouldn’t be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 01-17-2021, 08:12 PM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

After almost a year of living together, very closely, I would think there are larger compatibility concerns.
Good point.
Most posts are about relationship and divorce problems now. Move it to Relationship Forum.
Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance