Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2018, 07:39 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I too wish we emulate Europe in this tipping matter. Much less stress on my travel recently to Europe. But the funny thing is the minute they heard of my American accent, they asked if I wanted to include tip. I listened carefully when I was at a restaurant, they didn’t ask the locals. Maybe they know Americans are suckers for tips regardless of the custom there.
Yes they do. They also don't tip outside of Europe from my experience. So if they travel to the US and eat at out they are unlikely to tip here. My mom was recently at a Mexican resort with poolside service. She said a lot of the other people there were Europeans and they didn't tip at all, so when her and her friend were just tipping a couple of bucks every 2nd or 3rd visit they were treated like Royalty and checked up on regularly vs the European guests.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
With tipping though, the *CUSTOMER* decides what the job is worth.
customers are very poor at doing that

Old 11-02-2018, 07:24 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
If you can't afford to tip properly (and that means a minimum of 15%), then you cannot afford to eat out. Rather than go somewhere where the average entree price is $20 (for example), choose a restaurant with an average entree price of $15. Then you will have money left to tip adequately. If a few dollars here and there for a tip means that you are not able to provide necessities for yourself on your current income, then you are in the financial position where you should not be eating out at all.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
If you can't afford to tip properly (and that means a minimum of 15%), then you cannot afford to eat out. Rather than go somewhere where the average entree price is $20 (for example), choose a restaurant with an average entree price of $15. Then you will have money left to tip adequately. If a few dollars here and there for a tip means that you are not able to provide necessities for yourself on your current income, then you are in the financial position where you should not be eating out at all.
That’s our normal tip percentage. But have you notice some of the tip percentage suggestion lately, the minimum suggested tip percentage at a Korean BBQ grill is 18%, WTF. We did our cooking on top of that. And tipping is suggested at take out counter. Abuse of the tipping process or greed.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:54 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
for a typical take out meal at a local chines takeout i usually leave a dollar or 2 . i don't go off the bill amount. most leave nothing .

Old 11-03-2018, 04:37 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
customers are very poor at doing that
Your saying the consumer is very poor\bad at deciding what a service is worth to them?

Please expound....

Old 11-03-2018, 05:21 AM

393 posts, read 306,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for a typical take out meal at a local chines takeout i usually leave a dollar or 2 . i don't go off the bill amount. most leave nothing .
At some Chinese restaurants for a to-go order the person just takes your order, rings you up, gives you your change or credit card receipts, and hands you money. I don’t tip someone who does that since McDonald’s cashiers do more work than that for no tip at all.

Also, when you call in your order, you don’t tip the order taker for a pizza delivery, you tip the delivery driver, so why would you tip for a Chinese take-out order over the phone?

Also, online ordering through an app or website, THE CUSTOMER is doing all the work putting in the order so why tip then either,?

Also, if you order prior to going in, HOW is it a tippable service if you weren’t physically there to receive it?

Do you tip a Walmart worker to tell you if an item is in stock over the phone when they had to walk to go find it?

Tipping should be FAIR if another worker does the same or more work but can’t receive tips HOW IS IT FAIR IF YOU TIP THE WORKERS THAT DO LESS WORK OR THE SAME WORK THAT CAN’T RECEIVE TIPS, huh? Make it fair!

Usually Chinese counter workers make minimum wage at least. Honesty though if the employee decides to work for $2.13/hr to do take-out that’s their issue since it’s just not fair to tip one employee over the other for doing the same or the other employee does more work but doesn’t get a tip.

Why do you tip in that situation and why are you an unfair tipper?

McDonald’s cashiers make shakes, fraps, and iced coffees. That’s just some examples how they do more work for no tip at all. VERY UNFAIR!

Last edited by Springs1; 11-03-2018 at 05:32 AM..

Old 11-03-2018, 06:37 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
we don't call the order in generally . we do things usually on the fly . but i still feel for those working the counter so i always leave a buck or two in the jar whether the deli or the chinese takout . i will usually throw all the change in a tip jar at dunkin too when i get just coffee.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:18 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
At some Chinese restaurants for a to-go order the person just takes your order, rings you up, gives you your chan

Usually Chinese counter workers make minimum wage at least. Honesty though if the employee decides to work for $2.13/hr to do take-out that’s their issue since it’s just not fair to tip one employee over the other for doing the same or the other employee does more work but doesn’t get a tip.

Why do you tip in that situation and why are you an unfair tipper?

McDonald’s cashiers make shakes, fraps, and iced coffees. That’s just some examples how they do more work for no tip at all. VERY UNFAIR!
McDonald's has something to do with that. lol (my older brother just sold his two mcdonalds in North Carolina

I get your point though. I think a lot of it does have to do with social convention. Around here it's pretty standard to leave your leftover change in a cup at dunkin Donuts? why is that?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:47 AM

393 posts, read 306,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we don't call the order in generally . we do things usually on the fly . but i still feel for those working the counter so i always leave a buck or two in the jar whether the deli or the chinese takout . i will usually throw all the change in a tip jar at dunkin too when i get just coffee.
You tip unfairly, because if you feel for them why not the cashiers at McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King, etc., huh? I hate people that are unfair like you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance