Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 07:33 AM

21,888 posts, read 12,991,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
After reading about the experiences others had with multiple pets in the home I'm convinced that will be the way to go with ours also. Fortunately I already know our new vet provides that option. Thanks to everyone who shared their stories. Hopefully we won't need it any time soon but at least the decision about home vs office has been made.
I would discuss it with your new vet just to give a heads-up in case it's needed urgently; thing can happen quickly with an elderly pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 08:08 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I would discuss it with your new vet just to give a heads-up in case it's needed urgently; thing can happen quickly with an elderly pet.
Yes, good advice. He's been very involved in the care of all three since we moved here and has been terrific tending to the old gal's issues but he should know how we feel about the 'going away time' for our little ones.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:08 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
I'll pass on the photos... I realize that's a "thing" now with home euthanasia, but to me it's such a private, somber, and even sacred event that I would feel like I was intruding looking at them.
Jesus. I had no idea it was even a "thing" to post pics. I think that is just awful.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Jesus. I had no idea it was even a "thing" to post pics. I think that is just awful.
I've seen it on social media TOO many times lately, including numerous pics of the owners crying (I guess to elicit sympathetic comments). To me, that's private, but not much is on social media these days! And again, the poor animal can't consent to this, so I'm not a fan.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:08 AM

4,193 posts, read 2,516,403 times
Both of my cats are 17. They have been with me through thick and thin. I owe it to them to ensure their transition is peaceful.

When back in 2004 my other two cats went to the other side, as I call it, I was there. It was new to me. For the first, the vet gave him a shot to calm him down and then a shot to put him to sleep. It was peaceful. When the time came for the second to be put to sleep, a different vet did it and she did not give her a shot to calm her down. When the needle was put in to put her to sleep she screamed. I will be there to ensure nothing like that ever happens to my friends.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Both of my cats are 17. They have been with me through thick and thin. I owe it to them to ensure their transition is peaceful.

When back in 2004 my other two cats went to the other side, as I call it, I was there. It was new to me. For the first, the vet gave him a shot to calm him down and then a shot to put him to sleep. It was peaceful. When the time came for the second to be put to sleep, a different vet did it and she did not give her a shot to calm her down. When the needle was put in to put her to sleep she screamed. I will be there to ensure nothing like that ever happens to my friends.
My last one wasn't exactly "peaceful," either; I questioned my regular vet about this later (it was an emergency vet) and was told that if their blood pressure is low, they're reluctant to give the pre-shot sedative because it further lowers it and they may not be able to access a vein. At any rate, it was very disturbing, and I still feel bad about it; my big goofy boy didn't deserve to go that way. Definitely discuss all this in advance with your vet!

Old 08-27-2020, 11:08 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't know about other people, but I'm a professional photographer with roots in old-school photojournalism and documentary photography. One of my early heroes was W. Eugene Smith who shot the celebrated "Country Doctor" photo story. I shot my pet's euthanasia in a similar matter (and in black and white), as a documentary of the event.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know about other people, but I'm a professional photographer with roots in old-school photojournalism and documentary photography. One of my early heroes was W. Eugene Smith who shot the celebrated "Country Doctor" photo story. I shot my pet's euthanasia in a similar matter (and in black and white), as a documentary of the event.
Certain cultures photograph their deceased loved ones (this was very common back when photography was a luxury; in the case of children, it might have been the only photo they had of them), but documenting it for one's personal use/comfort and broadcasting it in a public forum are two different things. At least in my opinion. YMMV.

Last edited by otterhere; 08-27-2020 at 11:55 AM..

Old 08-27-2020, 01:13 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Certain cultures photograph their deceased loved ones (this was very common back when photography was a luxury; in the case of children, it might have been the only photo they had of them), but documenting it for one's personal use/comfort and broadcasting it in a public forum are two different things. At least in my opinion. YMMV.
If you would look at the thread I linked to, you would see that wasn't the purpose.

Old 08-27-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If you would look at the thread I linked to, you would see that wasn't the purpose.
I'm not talking about you, necessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets