Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2020, 04:29 PM

7,145 posts, read 4,557,147 times

Advertisements

I never took pictures of my babies being put to sleep. I am too busy being in the moment and petting them and feeding them treats so their last memory is my love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 08:51 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I don't know about other people, but I'm a professional photographer with roots in old-school photojournalism and documentary photography. One of my early heroes was W. Eugene Smith who shot the celebrated "Country Doctor" photo story. I shot my pet's euthanasia in a similar matter (and in black and white), as a documentary of the event.
Great. I’ve enjoyed photography as a hobby, for years. I would never consider a euthanization as something that needed to be documented. Different strokes I guess.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:13 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Great. I’ve enjoyed photography as a hobby, for years. I would never consider a euthanization as something that needed to be documented. Different strokes I guess.
People have documented their dying relatives...so.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:32 AM

21,888 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
People have documented their dying relatives...so.
Equally tacky, but just my humble!

Old 08-28-2020, 07:35 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
I would do it if I felt my cat would benefit from it.

But often imho my cat is so freaked out being at the vet anyway it doesn't seem to recognize me as its mom. I get lost in the fear and panic and there is nothing that can be done about that.

So there is no point in subjecting me to knowing what happened.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:05 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,002,632 times
Quote:
Have you not yet run across that REDDIT meme? To dogs, humans are like elves that live hundreds of years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wholesomeme...elves_to_dogs/
No, never ran across that meme before - very nice - and thank you for bringing it here.

Quote:
I don't know about other people, but I'm a professional photographer with roots in old-school photojournalism and documentary photography. One of my early heroes was W. Eugene Smith who shot the celebrated "Country Doctor" photo story. I shot my pet's euthanasia in a similar matter (and in black and white), as a documentary of the event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Certain cultures photograph their deceased loved ones (this was very common back when photography was a luxury; in the case of children, it might have been the only photo they had of them), but documenting it for one's personal use/comfort and broadcasting it in a public forum are two different things. At least in my opinion. YMMV.
Creating a journalistic story, that people could go and view, of their own choosing, is COMPLETELY different from amateur snapshots thrust at you on social media. From the intentions behind the action of recording, to the distribution method, completely different. In the case of Smith's journalism - it is a choice the viewer makes (to view). Social media doesn't really give the viewer a choice - it's in your face if you use it at all. You can block the poster - AFTER you've seen something you didn't want to see. But maybe the tasteless poster is family, or even friend (probably not a close friend). In which case you really wouldn't want to block them, or chastise them, would you. That would be an easy way to alienate family and friends.

Thanks, also, for the link to Eugene Smith's photos of the "Country Doctor".

Old 08-28-2020, 11:57 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
I was present at the vet when my cats were put down. The vet took the cat to another room and inserted a catheter in their paw. She brought the cat back to me and I talked and talked to it as the vet administered the drugs in the catheter. In each case, the cat went peacefully away. I had the vet dispose of the body. Later in the mail a card from the vet showed up with the cats name, date of death, and a paw print on the card.

The two cats were been litter mates sisters. The best of buddies. I was somewhat surprised at the survivor as I expected her to act out more once she realized her sister was gone. She did become more affectionate with me but otherwise showed very little emotion about the whole event.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:16 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,901,247 times
My sister had her dog euthanized due to cancer which had spread throughout his body a couple of days ago. She had someone come to the house and do it. She took the dog outdoors, which was one of his favorite places to be and the vet gave him the sedative shot first. He went very quickly and peacefully when she administered the drugs in the catheter in his leg.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:11 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
My sister had her dog euthanized due to cancer which had spread throughout his body a couple of days ago. She had someone come to the house and do it. She took the dog outdoors, which was one of his favorite places to be and the vet gave him the sedative shot first. He went very quickly and peacefully when she administered the drugs in the catheter in his leg.
And what did she do with the dog's body? That has to play a role.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:44 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It never would occur to me to have it down outside but it makes perfect sense. Our dogs love our yard with all the wonderful smells and happy memories so I can see where that would be a nice place for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets