Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 08:45 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

We had bought a Lab-mix, Jack, as a puppy when my daughter was in the third grade. He grew too old to enjoy life when she was a sophomore in college. So she had grown up with him.

She held him in her arms as he was euthanized and passed away.

She would not have had it any other way.

She didn't want him to die alone and afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 09:39 AM

8,343 posts, read 2,970,216 times
Wow. Tough to read this thread. So many wonderful pet parents. It’s been 3 days since our little Baby Ruthie had to be euthanized and my wife and I are still having a hard time accepting that she’s gone. She was the friendliest most loving and cute little toy poodle and she was smart as a whip.

She was 16 and had been losing weight and had multiple issues. We had her in last week and the vet told us to bring her back if she didn’t shake her cold and they’d do a blood test. Took her in on Nov 8 assuming we’d be doing a blood test and that she’d get better but was told it would be better not to prolong her suffering and of course we agreed but it was still a painful shock knowing she’d be gone.

The Vet left us alone with Ruthie for a few minutes and after a few tears it was time. We stayed with her until it was done. You guys on this thread are awesome. Your stories are helpful to my wife and I. Thank you. She was our baby girly.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:29 AM

7,145 posts, read 4,557,147 times
I am so sorry Leona. When you are ready rescue another one in her honor.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:46 AM

8,343 posts, read 2,970,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I am so sorry Leona. When you are ready rescue another one in her honor.
Absolutely! :-)

Old 08-24-2020, 04:31 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
As someone already mentioned, there is the option of having the vet come to the home and humanely euthanize. The animal winds up far less stressed, the euthanasia generally goes more smoothly, and if the household has other pets, it also gives them the opportunity to approach the animal once they've passed, in an effort to allow them to understand that their friend is gone. I don't think the animal would become nearly as stressed, and don't think that it really would be necessary for the owner to have to give them a full sedative first; the vet could easily do this while the owner(s) held the pet.

For myself, after a rather horrific euthanasia with one of my most beloved cats a few years ago (the vet gave him a sedative, so he was relaxed, free of pain, and actually started purring in my arms...but when the final shot was given he reacted horribly, the shock of his heart stopping, he appeared to be in immense pain...#%, that's #@$% hard to write and think about) I now insist that any animal I'm having euthanized be fully sedated and under first, before giving the final injection. This way I know that they won't experience any pain; they will drift off peacefully.

On a side note...my son and his girlfriend had to do this yesterday with her beloved cat. She'd had him for a few years before she met my son; 'Pumpkin' was her first pet, a rescue from the shelter where she'd been volunteering, she took him home when she saw that, as an older (originally feral) cat, no one was willing to take him. He was the most laid-back, beautiful little being I'd ever met, he loved cuddling, he put up with my son's cat and her wild antics without batting an ear, and he was one of those 'one in a million' creatures you just never forget. I haven't spoken to either of them since the day before yesterday, as I know that they're both beyond devastated and can't talk about it yet, but they scheduled a home euthanasia for Pumpkin; the final and best gift they could give him. May every pet be so blessed.
I know this is an old thread but I was searching for pet euthanasia at home and found this. We're living in a new state and have a new vet who does it in the home. We never had this option before so in the past when it was time, we brought our dogs into the vet's office, held them and talked to them while it was happening and then fell apart afterwards. Their passings, with the help of our wonderful vet were always calm and done with much respect and love.

We now have three dogs and one of them is an old gal with significant health issues. It's not her time yet but it's something we need to be prepared for. All three dogs are extremely close buddies even though we adopted them at different times. They're a true pack albeit a very silly one. I'm wondering how an at home euthanasia would affect the other two dogs. With previous dogs we went to the vet and then returned without the dog, which must have left the others in the house confused. On the other hand, how would it be for the dogs to see the body of their buddy if it's done in the house?

If anyone has done this while having other pets in the home would you please share your experiences? If we only had one dog, there would be no question that a "at home" euthanasia would be our choice.

Last edited by rfomd129; 08-24-2020 at 05:27 AM..

Old 08-24-2020, 08:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I was searching for pet euthanasia at home and found this. We're living in a new state and have a new vet who does it in the home. We never had this option before so in the past when it was time, we brought our dogs into the vet's office, held them and talked to them while it was happening and then fell apart afterwards. Their passings, with the help of our wonderful vet were always calm and done with much respect and love.

We now have three dogs and one of them is an old gal with significant health issues. It's not her time yet but it's something we need to be prepared for. All three dogs are extremely close buddies even though we adopted them at different times. They're a true pack albeit a very silly one. I'm wondering how an at home euthanasia would affect the other two dogs. With previous dogs we went to the vet and then returned without the dog, which must have left the others in the house confused. On the other hand, how would it be for the dogs to see the body of their buddy if it's done in the house?

If anyone has done this while having other pets in the home would you please share your experiences? If we only had one dog, there would be no question that a "at home" euthanasia would be our choice.
I would also love to hear accounts from others who have done this at home. I like the idea in general, but I'm still gathering information.

We've had to "put down" two dogs and a cat, and we have two elderly dogs now, though one is in much better shape than the other (the lab mix is the one I'm most concerned about). Like you, I'm curious about how other pets would react. Our two rescued dogs were adopted as puppies within just a few weeks of each other and have been together now for 12 years. We would want to introduce a puppy to the surviving dog pretty quickly - my experience has been that we do best with the grief if we go ahead and get another dog within 3 months or so.

Interestingly enough, our two dogs we had put down went peacefully, but the cat did not. Like the other poster, our cat was pretty calm till the very end and then he spazzed completely out, which was very heartrending. Our dogs went very peacefully. It was still terrible though. All our animals get stressed out by going to the vet anyway, so I hated adding that stress to the mix. I'd much prefer the vet come to the house if it doesn't upset the other dog too much.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:40 PM

7,145 posts, read 4,557,147 times
We had our last 3 dogs put to sleep at home. When we had our big guy done my old Maltese cried even though she didn’t like him. The other 2 were fine. Afterwards they sniffed his body and didn’t look for him for weeks which is what happens if we go to the vet. When it was my old Maltese’s time Max was a little upset and Amy wasn’t. Again they understood. That’s the only way we will do it now. Even if a dog is a little upset it’s much better than having them searching the house and yard for a week looking for them.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:58 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We had our last 3 dogs put to sleep at home. When we had our big guy done my old Maltese cried even though she didn’t like him. The other 2 were fine. Afterwards they sniffed his body and didn’t look for him for weeks which is what happens if we go to the vet. When it was my old Maltese’s time Max was a little upset and Amy wasn’t. Again they understood. That’s the only way we will do it now. Even if a dog is a little upset it’s much better than having them searching the house and yard for a week looking for them.
Thank you TT - this is helpful. Many years ago we had two dogs who were like an old married couple. Sammie, the female, got bone cancer and when we were leaving the house to bring her to the vet for the last time, Max, the old male howled non stop. I believe he knew what was about to happen - he had never howled before. He had barked plenty in his life but he had never howled and it was heartbreaking. Afterwards he started his descent into dementia. I believe he didn't want to live without her.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:42 PM

21,888 posts, read 12,991,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Thank you TT - this is helpful. Many years ago we had two dogs who were like an old married couple. Sammie, the female, got bone cancer and when we were leaving the house to bring her to the vet for the last time, Max, the old male howled non stop. I believe he knew what was about to happen - he had never howled before. He had barked plenty in his life but he had never howled and it was heartbreaking. Afterwards he started his descent into dementia. I believe he didn't want to live without her.
I brought my 15-year-old cat to the vet where things took an unexpected turn and he had to be euthanized; I didn't have time to make other arrangements. I mentioned something about bringing him home for the night and then bringing him back in the morning (I didn't want to bury him) just to say goodbye at leisure and let his bosom buddy of 14 years see him and understand what happened, but they looked at me like I was crazy, so I didn't. As a result, my 14-year-old was bewildered and panic-stricken; turns out his friend was also his security blanket when I wasn't home. For weeks and months he cried and searched for him; even now, nearly a year later, when I open the door so he can look outside, which was the favorite part of their day together (they were inseparable), he'll look up and "ask" me where his buddy is. Although he would still be grieving, I think it would have helped him to know the answer, so I'm all in favor of the at-home euthanasia with other pets observing.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
I was present he had me hold her While he did it
I was not right in the head for 2 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets