Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 02:39 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I was going out with a girl (been my wife for 37 years) who had 2 older dogs. Due to health issues, it was time to put them to sleep. Neither her parents, her 3 sisters, or she had the heart to take them to their fate, so Mr. Boyfriend was elected to do the deed.

When I arrived at the destination I took them both out of the car on their leash and handed them off. I felt terrible. Blue Boy never once looked back at me. She just quietly walked into the building in her usual arthritic gait. But Brandy was a different story. It wasn't that he was nervous or anything out of sorts, as he too just walked slowly with the gentlemen taking them into the building. When I was just back to my car, I turned around to take one last look as they were entering the building. At the exact time, Brandy turned and looked at me.

That look is something I will NEVER forget. Our eyes locked, and the stare he gave me was one of him knowing his fate. It was so obvious, and I swear I am not making it up. His eyes drilled through me like a sword. When I got home I laid into the entire family because I was really upset that it was me who had to face that, and it wasn't even my dog.

All of that being said, now with my first dog, if/when that time comes I absolutely will be at Bentley's side.
I know. The doggers had to wonder (do dogs wonder? do they know?) why they were with you and why they went to a place that might have been familiar (vet) but being handed off like that. I know this is tough and I don't want to cast aspersions on people who make a different choice, but 37 years later with this thin connection I'm p***** at your in-laws.

That had to be hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I know. The doggers had to wonder (do dogs wonder? do they know?) why they were with you and why they went to a place that might have been familiar (vet) but being handed off like that. I know this is tough and I don't want to cast aspersions on people who make a different choice, but 37 years later with this thin connection I'm p***** at your in-laws.

That had to be hard.
I have to 'hand off' my animals to the Vet all the time. And people. I don't get to go into surgery with them and so forth. I have to wait in the waiting room.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I have to 'hand off' my animals to the Vet all the time. And people. I don't get to go into surgery with them and so forth. I have to wait in the waiting room.
True. I left mine for knee surgery a few years ago, but only after I half seriously asked if I could go with

Old 09-13-2018, 02:56 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
True. I left mine for knee surgery a few years ago, but only after I half seriously asked if I could go with
And they are just as frightened at those times. So are we monsters for that?

Old 09-13-2018, 03:13 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
There are vets who will come and do a house visit to put a pet to sleep. Granted not every locale has this "luxury" but it might make the process easier in a home setting rather in something so clinical like a vet's office.
I have done this with 4 of my seniors and buried them on the far side of the creek on my own land but not everyone as that option. I stopped when I lost a 100 pound lab/nuffy mix in winter when the ground was frozen. Digging a grave by hand that is deep enough is very hard work.

Since then I have had them cremated and have a all their ashes. When I die I'll also be cremated and can legally have my ashes mixed with all of theirs and then buried up on the hillside. Friends will then plant a white oak tree over us.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I think I addressed this and I wouldn't call anyone a monster under these sad circumstances. But I took a cat to be euthanized about a decade ago, and I was a wreck. It was a terrible experience. The only thing worse I can imagine at this moment it not having been there, but that's me.

Putting that on a non family member is beyond understandable to me, though.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:50 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hell no is right! NO WAY would I not be present....!

I wonder about the 90%....that seems an awfully high percentage...
I agree! Good luck keeping me away when that times comes. Somebody’s going find out how it’s really gonna be!

Old 09-13-2018, 06:13 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
One is about breaking sterile field.
One is not.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:42 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
You've probably seen me post this before....

One idea of heaven is that when you arrive,
every pet you have ever loved comes running to greet you.

That makes me teary every time I read it...

The Rainbow Bridge - makes me cry every time I read it.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Quote:

That had to be hard.
I never forgave them for making me take the dogs. That stare is with me for life, and the hole it drilled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets