Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:58 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times

Advertisements

I have never experienced anything bad here. AZ is very much like L.A.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia983 View Post
I know that some hispanics are black. Even in the part of Mexico where I am from there is a great amount of African influence. I myself am mixed spanish, native (olmec) and looking at my great-grandmother, african, and I have found out recently that my father's last name is jewish. although here in canada I have been asked many times if I am malaysian or filipina.

I did take canadian citizenship only last year. I lived my whole life here in Canada as a permanent resident until i decided to take the citizenship test.

The city I grew up in is pretty diverse with a large number of asians and middle eastern people. My husband grew up in the detroit area where there is a clear color line in each suburb.

Our concerns are if our children will have to experience any type of stereotype or racism.

It looks like he will be working in Mesa, as police officer and from what I have read, Mesa has very high homicide , rape, aggravated assaults, and thefts! Where would be a good place to live for us??

East Mesa either the Las Sendes area or South of Baseline and east of Power.
As far as stereotyping or racism is concerned my kids have not had any problems and neither have my nephews who although are half white look completely hispanic. A couple of my kids have been mistaken for Mexicans although they are Cuban but they have not had any problems. You can't blame other kids mistaking them for Mexican. How many Cubans do you see in Gilbert? Not many.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:50 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
A couple of my kids have been mistaken for Mexicans although they are Cuban but they have not had any problems. You can't blame other kids mistaking them for Mexican. How many Cubans do you see in Gilbert? Not many.
Ohhh, the story of my life... If you're not blonde and/or blue-eyed in AZ, you just HAVE to be Mexican! That's what happens with too little geography in school. I mean, I've nothing against Mexicans or Spanish, but don't quite appreciate being spoken to in Spanish or stupid attempts at pronouncing my name with Spanish "R"... simply because I'm not of this origin and do not speak this language. Whoever doesn't assume so immediately somehow considers "where's this accent from" a great conversation starter and soooo original. Yeah, you're only the n-th to the power of "n" person who came up with this! It's truly sickening.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:39 AM

66 posts, read 204,008 times
Quote:
Also, all the doctors I know here where I live are foreign.
... That's what the Doctors in Canada want you to answer.

But for every foreign-trained Health Professional who is working in their field - how many are driving taxis etc.?

Foreign doesn't neccessarily mean foreign-trained. I sure wouldn't be too happy if I studied for 5 years to be a professional, moved to another country then wasn't allowed to work.

Last edited by From KW; 09-24-2007 at 05:37 AM..

Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ohhh, the story of my life... If you're not blonde and/or blue-eyed in AZ, you just HAVE to be Mexican! That's what happens with too little geography in school. I mean, I've nothing against Mexicans or Spanish, but don't quite appreciate being spoken to in Spanish or stupid attempts at pronouncing my name with Spanish "R"... simply because I'm not of this origin and do not speak this language. Whoever doesn't assume so immediately somehow considers "where's this accent from" a great conversation starter and soooo original. Yeah, you're only the n-th to the power of "n" person who came up with this! It's truly sickening.
I can top that: my birth surname sounds either East Indian or Hispanic yet I am well over 6', have (strawberry) blond hair and blue eyes as well

May I ask what your actual heritage is? I am of Hungarian/English/Irish background with a little 'person of color' thrown in I believe.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
I wonder why you think you guys would be an interracial couple? Did you feel you were in California? I doubt you'll feel that way in AZ. As one poster here pointed out, there are more Hispanics in AZ than caucasians. (I don't know if that's true, but it sure seems like it.) I think you'll be fine, especially if you can afford Scottsdale! . En todo caso, encuentre un poco de sombra y bienvenida al Arizona!
We never considered ourselves an interracial couple either. We've been married for 25 years and never had issues with anything that I know of.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Take a look at any telenovela and note the Mexicans actors/actresses of clearly White European heritage (Scandinavian, English, German, Castilian Spanish, etc) with the stereotypical brunet Latinos depicting menial roles.

If I were Latino: I would be hurt and offended at best.
I've always wondered about this, too. I'd be mad as well. Yet, they LOVE their TV...

Old 09-24-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I am Mexican. I was born there and moved to Canada at a young age. My husband is African American and was born and raised in Michigan.

We are planning to move to Arizona and we have two small children. We were also wondering what it was like to move there. We see on tv how bad the illegal immigration is and we were also worried if we would have any problems there being that I am mexican and he is black.

I know that there are places in Michigan that are racist and we couldn't live in and I was wondering if it could be the same in the Phoenix area. Reading the posts I notice that people generalize you more based on your economic status, so is there a place where we would be more accepted than other places? Just wondering...
Yep, everybody's right. Money does talk. While I do like Scottsdale, I have to say it IS snobbish.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I know that some hispanics are black. Even in the part of Mexico where I am from there is a great amount of African influence. I myself am mixed spanish, native (olmec) and looking at my great-grandmother, african, and I have found out recently that my father's last name is jewish. although here in canada I have been asked many times if I am malaysian or filipina.
It's amazing how different Mexicans can be. I have a friend. She has a large family. Her father is pretty dark. Her mother is quite white. All her siblings are of different shades, while she's whiter than many Caucasians.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's amazing how different Mexicans can be. I have a friend. She has a large family. Her father is pretty dark. Her mother is quite white. All her siblings are of different shades, while she's whiter than many Caucasians.
There is no such thing as a Mexican race:

They (like us Americans) run the gamut from Black to Nordic White with most of them being of Asiatic stock AKA Native American heritage.

A friend of mine SOB (South Of Border) is of 100% Russian White Jewish background yet considers himself fully Mexican, which he is under Mx law-----he was born/raised there along with both of his parents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area