Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 09:52 AM

48 posts, read 69,775 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the links!

It seems like if you stick to very suburban areas there isn't too much cause for concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,367 times
You can have your dogs snake trained. I haven't moved into my house yet, but it's in a rural area and the former owner said they got rattlers in the yard when they lived there, so while I'm waiting for the house to close I went ahead and had my dog take a snake avoidance class so we'll be prepared. It's not pleasant for the dog (they use shock collars), but I figured a few minutes of that is better than a rattler bite. If you plan on hiking with your dogs, it would be worth it to do the training. It cost me $65 for one dog.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM

357 posts, read 711,928 times
From the other side of the spectrum I grew up in Phoenix and didn't see a scorpion, snake, black widow, etc in a house or the wild until I was 14 because we were in an area that was 20 years old. I've now seen scorpions in a few houses, all are near the desert or new construction. If you use caution when hiking and check out the area you're renting in you should be fine. If you're that worried put the sticky paper for scorpions by every door and that should help.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:10 AM

48 posts, read 69,775 times
Thanks!

Gosh coyotes?

Thanks! The class sounds interesting!

And ok.... Preventative measures are always great! Thanks for the info!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Always remember to shake out your shoes before you put them on. Seriously.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen829 View Post
Thanks!

Gosh coyotes?
Not in Chandler or Gilbert, except perhaps on the fringes. Not in Tempe.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Hello all!

My husband was just offered a wonderful job in the Tempe area and we are currently trying to decide whether to relocate. We are in our late 20's, no children, from Long Island, NY. I am a teacher (hoping to find work when I get there) who was unfortunately excessed last June.

We have visited many times and believe we want to live in the Chandler/Gilbert area. (any feedback?) It **seems** like a safe area where we can rent well within our budget along with a very close proximity to everything we could need.

Now here is my main concern; coming from NY we have little to no experience with indigenous venomous species and I am VERY concerned. We have two dogs and i am terrified of losing one to a venomous bite. We are very active and all of the hiking in the area is a huge draw for us, and of course we would love to take the dogs. Perhaps I should also mention that one dog is very small - 9 one-man and the other is a puppy who should be about 25 lbs.

Will this be a problem? I know anything is possible ... Just looking for anyone's opinion or experience.

I'm imagining snakes sneaking into my home or scorpion in my backyard. How realistic is the threat of such a thing happening?

Any feedback at all is greatly appreciated!
As someone who moved here a little less than a year ago I will say that while it is not probable it is possible. People are going to tell you that you will not encounter snakes etc in such an urban but it can (and does) happen.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:45 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,367 times
Quote:
Thanks! The class sounds interesting!
It was interesting. The snakes were cute wearing their little muzzles.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Not in Chandler or Gilbert, except perhaps on the fringes. Not in Tempe.
We see coyotes form time to time in the morning walking the dog in Tempe near Hardy and the 60. I figure the take the western canal in from south mountain at night. There was even a sign put up in the local park don't feed the coyotes. They must be hungry and movin in.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
In four years that we spent in a 30-year-old development in north Glendale, we never saw a snake, scorpion, or gila. We DID find a (dead) black widow in the back yard, once. There were coyotes hanging out in the wash, and in that area you would have to be careful with your cats and small dogs, obviously. There are a number of dog runs, fortunately.

What we did encounter were these little ants that sting. Grrr. I had heard there were no fire ants in the area, but these things were something like that, and they were such an annoyance. You couldn't even walk barefoot on the patio, much less out into the (mostly Bermuda) grass in the yard. Some found a way into the house, too. Finally I got a whole bunch of ant traps from Home Depot, the kind where they carry the toxin back to the colony to kill the queen, spread them all around inside and outside, and genocide resulted. No more ants.

There were also these mosquitoes that came out at dusk, and some made it inside, and darned if we could ever find the source. I had thought there were no mosquitoes in Arizona, but our yard sure had them. We figure there was standing water somewhere in the vicinity. The foreclosure house with the half-finished swimming pool two doors down definitely was breeding them; we called the city, and they came out and tossed in these fish that eat the larvae, and these Israeli-made pucks that biologically destroy the larvae without hurting anything else, and sent the bill to whatever bank owned the place. But that didn't solve the problem.

Still I'd rather have mosquitoes than scorpions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area