Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
That is a common misconception, it was actually the Hotel Jefferson, at the SEC of Central and Jefferson.
I've heard it was the Westward, but I'll take your word for it. I'm going to have to watch the movie because I've never seen it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 AM

146 posts, read 482,078 times
Before they opened the 101 during construction I used to go out and hit golfballs as far as I could, and I would ride my longboard around bombing the 51/101 ramp.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Hey Roosevelt!!! Where was this joint located?? I just don't recall seeing the place. Musta been quite a place on Saturday night because I see lots of references to this being the place if you wanna fight.
Sarg's Cow Town was in south Phoenix about 3600 South Central. Year about 1958. It was a western nightclub with dancing.

Later, there were several Cow Palace dairies that had a black and white cow on the roofs and a Cow Belle Drive In near 27th Ave. and Bethany Home.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 AM

59 posts, read 194,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The story in the Bus Stop movie involves the characters going from Idaho to Phoenix. Wikipedia says the "parade scenes" in the movie were filmed in front of the Westward Ho. So, I suspect that Phoenix was the location for at least part of the movie.
It certainly was.Marilyn Monroe was filmed watching Don Murray ride in the Phoenix Jaycee's Rodeo of Rodeos parade on the east side of Central directly across from the Westward Ho.In one shot you can see that there used to be a marquee above the doors on the Central side of the hotel over hanging the side walk.Other scenes were filmed at the Arizona State Fairgrounds of M.M. watching Don Murray competing in the rodeo.There's a sceen at the Greyhound bus station but I dont know if that was the old Phoenix station or not,hopefully someone else knows.The movie was released in 1956 about 5 years before my time and the Greyhound station in the film is not the station I knew in the 60's 70's and early 80's.Another scene that takes place in the fictional Downtown Phoenix of the movie was shot somewhere else , too hilly for Phoenix.I used to have the movie on VHS that I taped from T.V. 5's Hollywood Greats will Bill Rocz.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:56 PM

362 posts, read 1,700,725 times
Default still there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
it was there for a long time and I think it was torn down in recent years.
No -as I mentioned above, the former Walsh Bros. location on Central near McDowell is still there but is occupied by Target offices.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM

Default Ramada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedGlory View Post
T

I understand that the city is planning on demolishing the old Ramada Inn and using it for parking space, such a shame. I remember my dad telling me that Marylin Monroe stayed at the Ramada while filming "Bus Stop" (?)
Which Ramada are we talking about?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
The one on 1st St. (It hasn't been open for a long time, so you may not remember it as such) It's being turned into parking space, but it's the University that owns the property. Plan is, eventually, when budgets permit, to move the ASU Law School there.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Default Westward Ho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedGlory View Post
Those are some really GREAT photos of the Westward Ho. I was really glad to see that the pool and interior of the property is still well maintained. The Westward Ho has a lot of history to it.

I understand that the city is planning on demolishing the old Ramada Inn and using it for parking space, such a shame. I remember my dad telling me that Marylin Monroe stayed at the Ramada while filming "Bus Stop" (?)
Thanks. Here are a few more. The first image shows the Concho Room back in the day and as it appears today. Notice the floor is unchanged. Speaking of flooring, my guides presented me with an unused piece of ceramic tile that was kept for repair purposes.Nice! Its about 9in square and weighs about 40 pounds. Im kidding but its the real deal. You can get a peek of this in the second image.

Speaking of movies who can name the film in which some famous actor (maybe Paul Newman?) tossed a TV set off the balcony into the pool seen in the third image? They told me about it and of course, I promptly forgot.

BTW the fourth image shows the inner staircase going up to the maintenance portal for the giant radio tower. The support beams for the tower go through the structure roof and into the building itself. (the last image.)
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc07288.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc07454.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc07305.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc07137.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc07171.jpg  

How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-dsc07174.jpg  

Old 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM

283 posts, read 880,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Thanks. Here are a few more. The first image shows the Concho Room back in the day and as it appears today. Notice the floor is unchanged. Speaking of flooring, my guides presented me with an unused piece of ceramic tile that was kept for repair purposes.Nice! Its about 9in square and weighs about 40 pounds. Im kidding but its the real deal. You can get a peek of this in the second image.

Speaking of movies who can name the film in which some famous actor (maybe Paul Newman?) tossed a TV set off the balcony into the pool seen in the third image? They told me about it and of course, I promptly forgot.

BTW the fourth image shows the inner staircase going up to the maintenance portal for the giant radio tower. The support beams for the tower go through the structure roof and into the building itself. (the last image.)

Paul Newman and Lee Marvin starred in the 1972 movie Pocket Money. In that movie Paul Newman throws a TV off the balcony, but I don't recall it landing in the pool. IMDB website lists filming locations as Chihuahua Mexico, Tucson and various New Mexico locations.

Last edited by desertratz; 09-14-2010 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 06:08 PM

155 posts, read 478,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post

Super pics Willie! Can anyone remember where they had pro wrestling back in the early 60's in Phoenix? I remember my aunt taking me to a match back at that time and I know it had to be downtown somewhere. Also, if anyone remembers the ladies roller derby days in Phoenix, I know it was outside but was it at Manzanita Raceway on 35th Ave and Broadway? My dad took me to one back then and it seems it was outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area