Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 10:30 PM

155 posts, read 478,153 times

Advertisements

I happened to see an International Scout (SUV neanderthal relative) and it reminded me of Powell International on Scottsdale Rd. south of Thomas Rd. (east side). Whew, memories but, what was the name of the restaraunt across Scottsdale Rd. from Powell that had a pig or something sitting atop the sign there? Help! It was a place of note in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 02:43 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,627,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donalumni View Post
I happened to see an International Scout (SUV neanderthal relative) and it reminded me of Powell International on Scottsdale Rd. south of Thomas Rd. (east side). Whew, memories but, what was the name of the restaraunt across Scottsdale Rd. from Powell that had a pig or something sitting atop the sign there? Help! It was a place of note in the area.
There was a place called the Steak Pit, is that it?

Old 09-25-2010, 03:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
I think that's it, roosevelt!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
There was a place called the Steak Pit, is that it?
I believe that's it roosevelt! How do you do that? LOL. It's hard to believe now but there were a lot of empty lots along Scottsdale Rd. back in those days.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:00 AM

283 posts, read 881,188 times
Quote:
Didn't the Steak Pit have a wagon wheel laid flat with a goofy looking steer sitting on top of it atop of the sign or am I thinking of another place?

Old 09-26-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
I believe that's it roosevelt! How do you do that? LOL. It's hard to believe now but there were a lot of empty lots along Scottsdale Rd. back in those days.
I used to eat at a place called Grumpy John's BBQ when it was in a small building on Scottsdale Road with an acre of land. John said the owner wanted $50,000 for the whole thing and John said that was too much money! Later he had to move across the street to a new location that probably cost him that much just for rent the first year.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post
Didn't the Steak Pit have a wagon wheel laid flat with a goofy looking steer sitting on top of it atop of the sign or am I thinking of another place?
I don't remember what the sign was but sounds right. My favorite place was Betty Crocker's Tree House restaurant north of McDowell. Inside was like the Tiki room at Disneyland.

There were lots of places with animals on top of the roof before cities went conservative on their sign ordinances. The Cow Palace had a big black and white cow on the roof that teenagers liked to steal. The Igloo on 7th Street had a big bear in front that Phoenix College kids would steal every year.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I used to eat at a place called Grumpy John's BBQ when it was in a small building on Scottsdale Road with an acre of land. John said the owner wanted $50,000 for the whole thing and John said that was too much money! Later he had to move across the street to a new location that probably cost him that much just for rent the first year.
Yes, I just remember some goofy animal sitting on top of sign there at The Steak Pit. I spent many a lunch at Grumpy Johns BBQ when it was in the old shack of a place on the west side of Scottsdale Rd. and after they moved across the to the newer place on the east side of Scottsdale. He played the character of being grumpy well and he had 2 or 3 sons who worked there also. I worked for a time as a teenager down the road at Jack in the Box and there was a pretty good LaFonda's Mexican food across Scottsdale in the strip center where we went to the movies to see "A hard Days Night and of course 007 "Thunderball" I think that Woolco was the anchor store and the strip center was called Hayden Plaza?

Last edited by Donalumni; 09-26-2010 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 09-26-2010, 06:57 PM

59 posts, read 194,781 times
Quote:
Yes, I just remember some goofy animal sitting on top of sign there at The Steak Pit. I spent many a lunch at Grumpy Johns BBQ when it was in the old shack of a place on the west side of Scottsdale Rd. and after they moved across the to the newer place on the east side of Scottsdale. He played the character of being grumpy well and he had 2 or 3 sons who worked there also. I worked for a time as a teenager down the road at Jack in the Box and there was a pretty good LaFonda's Mexican food across Scottsdale in the strip center where we went to the movies to see "A hard Days Night and of course 007 "Thunderball" I think that Woolco was the anchor store and the strip center was called Hayden Plaza?
That sounds like Hayden Plaza East , there was another , Hayden Plaza West at 35th ave & Indian School. Both had Harkins theaters when I was around Phx. Saw Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps at H.P.East.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
La Fonda is still there, on the corner of the plaza... It's really not a true strip mall any more, a big chunk of the property is a Pure Fitness and a big Progressive Insurance office is on the back (Curry Road) side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area